Proposal: MTL-EDM

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Exactly - its just easy to piss away 2nd round picks before the selections. Last draft, Habs selected Struble with a 2nd and Norlinder was a 3rd round pick. Now compare to JP. Why take the gamble? If JP had any hockey sense i would consider it. But this is a deep draft. Those 2nds are valuable.

The most important message in this post is that this is a deep draft. While two seconds in a cap era are always a valuable commodity, the depth of this year's draft makes these picks even more valuable. Far better to use this draft capital to move up in the draft to secure a player that has a chance of having a long term impact on the team's fortunes. All Montreal fans should be sending our sometimes confused general manager a constant stream of messages reminding him that sometimes the best transactions are the ones that you don't do.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
While it rightfully doesn't matter to Mtl what Edm paid for AA, it does to Edm and Edm paid 2 2nd round picks for AA. They likely aren't going to give AA and JP up for just the 2 2nd round picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While it rightfully doesn't matter to Mtl what Edm paid for AA, it does to Edm and Edm paid 2 2nd round picks for AA. They likely aren't going to give AA and JP up for just the 2 2nd round picks.

Except the rumor is AA is not going to be offered a contract which would make him a UFA.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Except the rumor is AA is not going to be offered a contract which would make him a UFA.

I have heard those too but seriously doubt it since not come from anyone other than media speculation. My guess is that if he stays in Edm, there are a few things that could happen. I think he either signs for the qualifying offer for a year, or sign a 1 year show me deal at around 2-2.5 and gets either traded part way thru next season or everyone is happy and he re-ups in Edm. Of course plan C is for him to be traded this summer.

Based on optics of him not working out yet in the short time in Edm, the Oilers have to take a bit less than they paid for him in a deal. My guess is a 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th for him. As for JP, my guess is a 2nd plus something like a lower pick or B level prospect. If both were combined in a deal, 2 2nds and a 3rd?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have heard those too but seriously doubt it since not come from anyone other than media speculation. My guess is that if he stays in Edm, there are a few things that could happen. I think he either signs for the qualifying offer for a year, or sign a 1 year show me deal at around 2-2.5 and gets either traded part way thru next season or everyone is happy and he re-ups in Edm. Of course plan C is for him to be traded this summer.

Based on optics of him not working out yet in the short time in Edm, the Oilers have to take a bit less than they paid for him in a deal. My guess is a 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th for him. As for JP, my guess is a 2nd plus something like a lower pick or B level prospect. If both were combined in a deal, 2 2nds and a 3rd?

OK.. So Oilers keep AA then. Habs not desperate for him.

Puljujarvi
for
Fleury and a 4th

I'm not trading two 2nd's for Puljujarvi where he has to be protected, needs a contract, and has to clear waivers at this stage. I might do it if AA came with extension. Oilers don't like it? Deal falls through

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
i would think the oilers would insta accept. poolparty will never play for them and a pair of 2nds in a strong draft is a solid return. They waited too long to move yak and would be dumb to make the same mistake here
You know this because.........

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
OK.. So Oilers keep AA then. Habs not desperate for him.

Puljujarvi
for
Fleury and a 4th

I'm not trading two 2nd's for Puljujarvi where he has to be protected, needs a contract, and has to clear waivers at this stage. I might do it if AA came with extension. Oilers don't like it? Deal falls through
...except I never suggested 2 2nds for JP..... The variation of 2 2nds was for AA. For JP, I think a 2nd would at least have to be involved. The highest pick for JP would most certainly have to be higher than a 4th.

I get Mtl's side of any of this and I mean that sincerely. Mtl has 30 other teams that they can talk to. Respectfully though, so does Edm. JP clearly has the tools, it is just not clear if he has found out in Finland that he has a toolbox to go with it. That is something nobody knows and THAT is the million dollar question in all of this.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
...except I never suggested 2 2nds for JP..... The variation of 2 2nds was for AA. For JP, I think a 2nd would at least have to be involved. The highest pick for JP would most certainly have to be higher than a 4th.

I get Mtl's side of any of this and I mean that sincerely. Mtl has 30 other teams that they can talk to. Respectfully though, so does Edm. JP clearly has the tools, it is just not clear if he has found out in Finland that he has a toolbox to go with it. That is something nobody knows and THAT is the million dollar question in all of this.
IMO, JP to the Habs for a second is fair.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If I trade for Puljujarvi, I'm using someone who also has to be protected in the expansion draft. That's Fleury.... then I added a 4th. I'm not going higher than that. Interested in Puljujarvi but not desperate

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
If I trade for Puljujarvi, I'm using someone who also has to be protected in the expansion draft. That's Fleury.... then I added a 4th. I'm not going higher than that. Interested in Puljujarvi but not desperate
I see your point. Equally though, Edm certainly doesn't need to trade JP either. They will easily be able to protect him without sacrificing someone important. Fleury doesn't really do anything to make that trade worth while.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I see your point. Equally though, Edm certainly doesn't need to trade JP either. They will easily be able to protect him without sacrificing someone important. Fleury doesn't really do anything to make that trade worth while.

Tell me what you know about Fleury? I'm curious. Cause you got a guy like Bear who is 2 years older than Fleury. Not saying it ends up the same but Fleury is a NHL ready prospect at 21. You saying Fleury is not worth much or are you saying you don't need a young RD?

And yes, If I was the Oilers, I'd just sign Puljujarvi for 1 year. New management and coach from when he played with the Oilers before so things might change or not. The Habs offer is what it is and I doubt we trade two 2nd's for a guy we would have to protect.

I think teams interested will offer another piece (like Fleury) who also has to be protected.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Tell me what you know about Fleury? I'm curious. Cause you got a guy like Bear who is 2 years older than Fleury. Not saying it ends up the same but Fleury is a NHL ready prospect at 21. You saying Fleury is not worth much or are you saying you don't need a young RD?

And yes, If I was the Oilers, I'd just sign Puljujarvi for 1 year. New management and coach from when he played with the Oilers before so things might change or not. The Habs offer is what it is and I doubt we trade two 2nd's for a guy we would have to protect.

I think teams interested will offer another piece (like Fleury) who also has to be protected.

It isn't as much about Fleury, even though I think he is a good prospect that is almost ready. Edm has Bear that was a rookie this year. Even Bouchard is a RHD that is likely arriving this coming year. If Fleury was added with the thoughts of him being ready and playing in Edm, that would make all 3 RHD on the roster having 1 year of NHL experience at the most. That just isn't practical to do that. That is why it respectfully doesn't really matter how good he is. Edm doesn't really have a spot for him with what they have at RHD. Even LHD is pretty full with Klefbom,and Nurse already in Edm and Broberg and to a lesser extent Samorukov coming fairly soon. I know Fleury isn't a stud prospect, or Mtl wouldn't include him in this type of deal. I don't mean any disrespect to Fleury at all.

Edited to add that once again, I am not sure where you get 2 2nds for JP. I certainly have never suggested it.

Reactions: malcb33

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Barely worth 1 second let alone 2.

The guy is a major reclamation project, and probably doesn't have the IQ to play in the NHL

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
Barely worth 1 second let alone 2.

The guy is a major reclamation project, and probably doesn't have the IQ to play in the NHL
Yeah, so once again for what, the 3rd or 4th time, who the F has mentioned 2 2nds for him in this conversation?

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I've thought for a while that the best landing spot for Puljujarvi is Montreal or possibly Carolina. Montreal needs a big, fast RW and has veteran Finnish players to help him adjust/ translate instructions. I think he would be a great fit for Kotkaniemi's wing.

The issues are as I see it are,

- He was drafted high, so taking a single 2nd pick looks bad from an asset valuation point of view
- He's a reclamation project who is IMO 50/50 to stick in the NHL, so paying 2 x 2nd's looks very bad if he busts
- He also needs to be protected at the end of next season, so unless he shows something special he could very well be lost in the expansion draft which affects his value.

Is there a middle ground here?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just don’t think it is a legit/competitive offer for the player. RD = Larsson, Bear, Benning, Bouchard

You re signing Larsson? Cause if you don't, it's really Bear and Bouchard moving forward.

Not a competitive offer? Sure. Find someone else to give you what you think you can get or keep Puljujarvi. Habs are interested but not desperate. However, our fan base is huge so the offers you will see will vary

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Is giving up up for Fleury and a 4th free though? What's your RD depth?[/QU
You re signing Larsson? Cause if you don't, it's really Bear and Bouchard moving forward.

Not a competitive offer? Sure. Find someone else to give you what you think you can get or keep Puljujarvi. Habs are interested but not desperate. However, our fan base is huge so the offers you will see will vary

Well there are a couple of pretty nice UFA options or we could trade a LD which we have plenty of to a team for a RD. Jones also plays both sides, so we seem to have a bunch of options other than accepting your crappy offer.

Dude, I have watched you post a ton on this board and you pick the worst hills to die on.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
@Chayos Fix your post so I can reply to your BS. You couldn't even get that right. You thinking popularity matters on HF boards :biglaugh:

If you had Fleury in your system, you would be pumping him up like the next Bear. And you don't even realize it. Comical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->