Proposal: MTL - EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Off topic but will the oilers sign Hayden Hawkey? Wasn't happy we traded him as he was very good in the 2nd half of last year but with Primeau I guess they felt they didn't need him.

I’d be mad if we didn’t. The Friars were still playing last I checked so I’d assume we sign him once they’re done.

Trouble is Koskinen isn’t good enough to start 60 games, so we need more of a 1B goalie. Our AHL starter, Starrett, is very good, but I don’t think the org wants him to get thrown into a 1B role, which means he’s probably in the AHL again. Which means one of Skinner and Wells is in the ECHL before we even sign Hawkey - assuming we do. And year after that gets even more complicated with Rodrigue going pro.

I think we sign Hawkey and trade a prospect goalie, never mind bringing in ANOTHER one.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I’d be mad if we didn’t. The Friars were still playing last I checked so I’d assume we sign him once they’re done.

Trouble is Koskinen isn’t good enough to start 60 games, so we need more of a 1B goalie. Our AHL starter, Starrett, is very good, but I don’t think the org wants him to get thrown into a 1B role, which means he’s probably in the AHL again. Which means one of Skinner and Wells is in the ECHL before we even sign Hawkey - assuming we do. And year after that gets even more complicated with Rodrigue going pro.

I think we sign Hawkey and trade a prospect goalie, never mind bringing in ANOTHER one.

they play tomorrow vs last year National Champs and one of the best teams in the NCAA this year, so I expect them to lose even though I'm pulling for them. Was just wondering since you said you had several goalie prospects. I would sign him if I were the Oilers (not knowing anything about anyone else in your system) as I think he's very underrated but needs to find a way to be more consistent.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
they play tomorrow vs last year National Champs and one of the best teams in the NCAA this year, so I expect them to lose even though I'm pulling for them. Was just wondering since you said you had several goalie prospects. I would sign him if I were the Oilers (not knowing anything about anyone else in your system) as I think he's very underrated but needs to find a way to be more consistent.

I think/hope we sign him too, if for no other reason than we gave up a pick for him.

I don’t THINK Starrett should be looked at as a guy that can give you 25 good NHL starts a season yet, but the org might think different which would leave the AHL starter’s job wide open and I’d have to think Hawkey would have the inside track.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think/hope we sign him too, if for no other reason than we gave up a pick for him.

I don’t THINK Starrett should be looked at as a guy that can give you 25 good NHL starts a season yet, but the org might think different which would leave the AHL starter’s job wide open and I’d have to think Hawkey would have the inside track.

I think Hawkey could be a solid AHL starter at the least, I didn't follow him this year but before that he had a young blueline in front of him but his coach said he was the MVP in the 2nd half of last season.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
montreal should use their money to bring in a dman for the left side rather than trading their second most productive winger for futures after barely missing the playoffs with a relatively older core
montreal has the youngest forward group in the entire NHL. factual reality is out friend

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
damn you guys are sensitive

how old are your top 2 dmen and goaltender?
We are so rich in prospects and top young roster players. We just need that elite superstar to put us over the top but I get what you are saying. We dont have anyone who can replace either of them in terms of the impact they bring to our team. Hopefully as others have pointed out Primeau can adequately replace price and brook can do the same for Weber.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
you don'T even know our lineup and you talk...
?
Roster i listed isnt factual? Pretty sure it is.
You take away Niemi and Thompson and replace them with Poehling and Lindgren?

Anyway the difference between the youngest roster and the 5th youngest must be 2 months. So what?

Same for the prospects rankings...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I donno what to make of this.
8th overall and Puljujarvi who might turn out better after surgery and finally working out properly for a guy who was supposed to blow us away but has yet to do so.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A butter soft bust, a deadbeat lug and a maybe for Drouin. Hard NO. From the oil perspective, he could easily turn into a 40 goal scorer with great centers.

Hopkins for Drouin plus would be interesting.

There is more center talent rising up for the habs and will go some way into settling Drouin down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A butter soft bust, a deadbeat lug and a maybe for Drouin. Hard NO. From the oil perspective, he could easily turn into a 40 goal scorer with great centers.

Hopkins for Drouin plus would be interesting.

There is more center talent rising up for the habs and will go some way into settling Drouin down.

No interest in RNH for Drouin+. Drouin has two more years in term and a slightly lower cap hit. RNH might struggle on our roster like Drouin. Bet you RNH decides not to resign with us and I don't think he helps us become a better team.

I might consider Drouin for the 8th OA pick though. I think Drouin would do well in that Oilers top 6 and the Habs need to make room for Poehling & Suzuki. Drouin might not be a good fit in Montreal and he needs to play with a mature physical center. We don't have that yet and it will be a while yet for Kotkaniemi and Poehling to be impact centers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As stated above we have some good goalie prospects coming. Not an organizational need at this time.

Fair (I didn't notice the other posts). I think there might be a deal between the Habs and Oilers but we both have to try to make it work for each other. I would certainly take on Lucic's contract cause not sure if the Habs can sign a key UFA with our $10M (+/-) in cap space and if we take on Lucic, we still have $4M left. It just comes down to the NMC and if the Oilers want to give up the 8th OA pick to do it. Habs can offer up something that might fit but we are not taking Lucic on without getting our needs addressed as well. Puljujarvi or a 2nd round pick is not what we need.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No interest in RNH for Drouin+. Drouin has two more years in term and a slightly lower cap hit. RNH might struggle on our roster like Drouin. Bet you RNH decides not to resign with us and I don't think he helps us become a better team.

I might consider Drouin for the 8th OA pick though. I think Drouin would do well in that Oilers top 6 and the Habs need to make room for Poehling & Suzuki. Drouin might not be a good fit in Montreal and he needs to play with a mature physical center. We don't have that yet and it will be a while yet for Kotkaniemi and Poehling to be impact centers.
I am curious as to why you think RNH would struggle on your roster. He played the vast majority of this year with players who would be third or fourth liners on most NHL teams. That said RNH for Drouin does not make a lot of sense for the Oilers. Having RNH allows Drasisaitl to play with McDavid which is a huge plus for the Oilers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am curious as to why you think RNH would struggle on your roster. He played the vast majority of this year with players who would be third or fourth liners on most NHL teams.

I'm not high on RNH. Did you know he actually has more giveaways than Drouin does? I consider this a lateral type move where we get a player with 2 years less in term. I don't think RNH sucks but there is no way I consider a move like this. The idea that we get a contract with 2 years less in term and we have to add to Drouin to make it happen? I pass

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not high on RNH. Did you know he actually has more giveaways than Drouin does? I consider this a lateral type move where we get a player with 2 years less in term. No thanks to this kind of move.

I don't think RNH sucks but there is no way I consider a 1/1 swap like this. The idea that we get a contract with 2 years less in term and we have to add to Drouin to make it happen? I pass

The giveaway stat is pretty meaningless as a means of ranking players as it tends to reflect how much time a player has the puck. The NHL leaders in giveaways reads like a whose who of the leagues best players. BUt in case you want to hang your hat on these stats over the last three years RNH has 131 giveaways and 153 takeaways for a +22 differential while Drouin has 171 give aways and 151 takeways for a differential of -20. Unfortunately this stat is not going to come out in Drouins favour.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The giveaway stat is pretty meaningless as it tends to reflect how much time a player has the puck. The NHL leaders in giveaways reads like a whose who of the leagues best players. BUt in case you want to hang your hat on these stats over the last three years RNH has 131 giveaways and 153 takeaways for a +22 differential while Drouin has 171 give aways and 151 takeways for a differential of -20. Unfortunately this stat is not going to come out in Drouins favour.

You can pump his tires up all you want and paint it pink. I'm not interested in this type of move and I'm not interested in arguing about what stat means more vs others. RNH is not the piece I feel the Habs need and UFA is coming soon (2 more years). Rather keep Drouin. I'm fully aware of his struggles and his potential.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You can pump his tires up all you want and paint it pink. I'm not interested in this type of move and I'm not interested in arguing about what stat means more vs others. RNH is not the piece I feel the Habs need and UFA is coming soon (2 more years). Rather keep Drouin. I'm fully aware of his struggles and his potential.
That's fine. I would not make the deal either. And for the record you brought up the "giveaway stat". I simply pointed out why that stats did not have much value. I

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'm not high on RNH. Did you know he actually has more giveaways than Drouin does? I consider this a lateral type move where we get a player with 2 years less in term. I don't think RNH sucks but there is no way I consider a move like this. The idea that we get a contract with 2 years less in term and we have to add to Drouin to make it happen? I pass
Did you know RNH actually had more takeaways......goals, assists, points, hits, blocked shots, time on the PK and plays centre?
Did you also know that guys like Gaudreau, McDavid, Draisaitl, Malkin, Kucherov, Marchand, and Pasternak also had more giveaways than Drouin?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's fine. I would not make the deal either. And for the record you brought up the "giveaway stat". I simply pointed out why that stats did not have much value. I

I answered your question and it wasn't just the turnover stats I mentioned. You can disagree or not. Your choice at what you value with stats and what you don't. I won't hold it against you but don't pretend your opinion is a fact.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Did you know RNH actually had more takeaways......goals, assists, points, hits, blocked shots, time on the PK and plays centre?
Did you also know that guys like Gaudreau, McDavid, Draisaitl, Malkin, Kucherov, Marchand, and Pasternak also had more giveaways than Drouin?

I know RNH game just like I know Drouin's. You can defend RNH all you want and we should expect it from the Oilers fan base. I didn't say he was a terrible hockey player. Just not the guy I feel the Habs need. Rather keep the younger player with more term and try to find a good fit for Drouin. Right now, he only fits well with Domi.

I'm aware of the giveways from player to player. You forgot Doughty. I don't consider RNH a beast out there that teams fear and I do think you can move him off the puck easily (which is why I mentioned the giveaways). Kind of like Duchene. Decent pieces but the Habs have a young Domi who can fill that role on our team.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I know RNH game just like I know Drouin's. You can defend RNH all you want and we should expect it from the Oilers fan base. I didn't say he was a terrible hockey player. Just not the guy I feel the Habs need. Rather keep the younger player with more term and try to find a good fit for Drouin. Right now, he only fits well with Domi.
That was so easy to defend when you bring up giveaways to try and imply Drouin might be better than RNH at anything....Hes not haha.
Drouin is somewhere between Sam Gagner and Jordan Eberle; there's no more room on the Oilers roster for spoiled, soft, one dimensional players anymore.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don’t think it’s a bad proposal for either side.

Both Puljuarvi and Drouin have not met expectations so far, but from MTLs POV I prefer what Pulj can bring.

Lucic is a plug, but we have had 8-9 M excess cap space for the last two years. I’d prefer to at least get something for that cap space if we can’t entice free agents. Put him on the fourth line and see what CJ can do with him.

The 8th OVR is a big plus for me as a Habs fan, we still need to fill some holes and have to continue to do it through drafts and prospects. Seeing how many good players dropped last year, that pick could be a steal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad