Proposal: MTL - DET

barrie colts

Feb 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
How is my premise flawed if Montreal would pay a 2nd alone to Seattle to move Byron? By your valuation the trade would be Byron +the 2nd to move the contract and then add a 3rd to pay for Glendening. Upgrading a 3rd to a 2nd isn't enough to cover 2 years at 3.4 for a taxi squad player.

I see Tampa as a more likely landing spot, Cooper loves Glendening. Seems to me that Habs fans don't truly want him anyway with how much they're talking him down in this thread. There are a dozen other teams we can send him to, we don't need to accept the weak offers here.
Your premise is : Seattle gets a 2nd round to move Byron and Mtl does not get anything in return.

Wrong / Flawed.... Mtl keeps all D's and both goalies. More important than getting Glendening.

If we get Glendening, we will lose one of the D or Allen to Seattle and you want us to give you a 3rd on top of that.

Don't think so.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Your premise is : Seattle gets a 2nd round to move Byron and Mtl does not get anything in return.

Wrong / Flawed.... Mtl keeps all D's and both goalies. More important than getting Glendening.

If we get Glendening, we will lose one of the D or Allen to Seattle and you want us to give you a 3rd on top of that.

Don't think so.

Whether or not Montreal trades for Glendening has no bearing on the expansion draft.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

Don't think so.

That makes sense, doesn't seem like a good fit for a trade then seeing as Montreal can't afford to add a player and Detroit could use their cap space more efficiently.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
We can't have Artturi Lehkonen? Noooooo, I was just about to buy his jersey :(

Again, the asking price for Glendenning is in the ballpark of a 2nd round pick. If we don't get that, oh well.
This childish "screw you guys, I'm going home" never helps discussions move forward, if you can't show your guy is truly worth a 2nd, might as well just not post.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
He's still not worth a 2nd when Danault wouldn't be able to fetch a 1st + a B prospect. Danault shuts down the opposing team best players. Glendenning wins faceoff, and that's about it. You'r enot playing Glendenning vs Crosby or Malkin or McDavid. You,re playing Danault tho.

Glendenning's value is around a 4th round pick at max. Wings fans may hoe for a 2nd, it won'tt happen.

I'll tell you what tho, habs would give a 2nd + Byron for Glendennng + a 3rd. That's about fair
you'd have to pay a team to take Bryon's contract, not get assets for him..... nice try tho

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
That lines up quite well with what I am proposing. Glendening at 50% retained for Lehkonen and a 2nd. Gives us a veteran 4C and an extra 1.5M in cap-space.

Neither the Habs or Detroit will qualify Lehkonen.
This is a trade that makes a lot of sense. I feel LG's value is about a 3rd or 3rd+6th/7th, so taking on a this-season-only dump to move it up to a 2 would be worth it. And the incentive for Mtl is the extra cap space to make an additional move

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

GOZetterberg

Dec 10, 2019
Glendening will easily fetch a 2nd round pick from a contender. Habs fans seem to have forgotten the return they received when they traded a washed up Plekanec to the Leafs a few seasons ago.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Glendening will easily fetch a 2nd round pick from a contender. Habs fans seem to have forgotten the return they received when they traded a washed up Plekanec to the Leafs a few seasons ago.

Even a washed up Plekanec was 2X the player Glendening ever was... So there's that!

Plekanec last season with the Habs

8-16-24pts 60gp
At age what, 36/37??

Glendening last season with the Wings (age 29)
6-3-9pts 60gp

You knoe, same exact year when Habs finished bottom 5 in the standings, so the "crap" team excuse doesn't work here bud

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This is a trade that makes a lot of sense. I feel LG's value is about a 3rd or 3rd+6th/7th, so taking on a this-season-only dump to move it up to a 2 would be worth it. And the incentive for Mtl is the extra cap space to make an additional move

Right? :)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you want a second, you need to take Byron, not Lehkonen and give back a 4th.
Do you really think a soon to be 32 year old 4th liner with 2 more seasons at $3.4 on his contract, declining stats for the past 3 seasons has any value what so ever? Byron has already passed through waivers this season. If you want to rid yourself of multiple years of Byron it would require taking back more salary or adding to the deal.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Luke Glendenning has a very specific appeal this trade deadline. He's a good 4th line center, but more importantly, he's been the best faceoff center in the league this year, making him a big PK asset. (Face-off stats- 2020-21 regular season - 2020 - Puckbase)

If you don't think he's worth a second to Montreal that's totally fair, but that's probably what the Red Wings are asking for.
He will not get a 2nd please fans he is a 4th line player yes good on the dot

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

If he doesn't get a 2nd or somewhere in that ballpark then fair enough, we probably start talking about a contract extension at that point.

Again, if fans of playoff teams do not want Luke Glendenning that's totally fine. I'm not saying anyone has to want him.

If you do want him, then you have to give a legitimate asset, I would say in the ballpark of a late 2nd round pick. Otherwise we probably just hold onto him. 4th/5th/6th round picks are non-assets, those picks move as sweeteners or for players GMs are moving as a favor.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010

If they're gonna take on $1.5M for us on top of Glendening (which is what I am proposing), he's definitely worth a 2nd. Even then, it's totally possible someone straight up offers a 2nd for him.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Ehy are we giving the younger, better player that is actually needed

You think a depth winger that has been a healthy scratch more often than not lately is more needed than a veteran C that will be in our lineup every night? Especially when the salary difference proposed is $2.4M vs .9M?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Thompson for 5th round
Namestnikov for 4th
Cousins for 4th
Eakin for conditional 4th (3rd if re-sign)
Frolik for 4th
Stephenson for 5th

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's still not worth a 2nd when Danault wouldn't be able to fetch a 1st + a B prospect. Danault shuts down the opposing team best players. Glendenning wins faceoff, and that's about it. You'r enot playing Glendenning vs Crosby or Malkin or McDavid. You,re playing Danault tho.

Glendenning's value is around a 4th round pick at max. Wings fans may hoe for a 2nd, it won'tt happen.

I'll tell you what tho, habs would give a 2nd + Byron for Glendennng + a 3rd. That's about fair

Actually the last time we were in the playoffs, Glendening played shutdown against TB's top line and kept them in check, then got hurt. The game immediately following his injury TB took over the series by a lot more.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You think a depth winger that has been a healthy scratch more often than not lately is more needed than a veteran C that will be in our lineup every night? Especially when the salary difference proposed is $2.4M vs .9M?
This f***ing team is Pejorative Slured as hell and has been playing clearly inferior players for decades now, its not news. Byron isn't even NHL material and he plays because of his A.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
This f***ing team is Pejorative Slured as hell and has been playing clearly inferior players for decades now, its not news. Byron isn't even NHL material and he plays because of his A.

What a weird response to what I said...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Actually the last time we were in the playoffs, Glendening played shutdown against TB's top line and kept them in check, then got hurt. The game immediately following his injury TB took over the series by a lot more.

That was almost 5 years ago back when Nielsen was a 50 pts center.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Even a washed up Plekanec was 2X the player Glendening ever was... So there's that!

Plekanec last season with the Habs

8-16-24pts 60gp
At age what, 36/37??

Glendening last season with the Wings (age 29)
6-3-9pts 60gp

You knoe, same exact year when Habs finished bottom 5 in the standings, so the "crap" team excuse doesn't work here bud
Wouldn’t Glendening’s last season be this current season? So he’s 3G, 6A in 30 games while playing roughly 14 mins 27 seconds, logging the most on the PK, 67% on FO, and 69.1% d-zone starts.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Wouldn’t Glendening’s last season be this current season? So he’s 3G, 6A in 30 games while playing roughly 14 mins 27 seconds, logging the most on the PK, 67% on FO, and 69.1% d-zone starts.
FO wins in the d zone (especially in a tight playoff game) are really underrated on here. Lithuanian is where LGs value lies

like i said earlier, I peg him about a 3rd. But I wouldn’t be surprised with a 2nd if there a bidding war, or as low as a 4th if the TD market itself is soft. the people on here trying to dump a steaming pile of Byron on Detroit for Glen are keeping me entertained

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That was almost 5 years ago back when Nielsen was a 50 pts center.

What is your point? Glendening is still playing just as hard and pretty much the same level as then. Why is Nielsen brought into this? One player aging poorly/dropping off means every player hits the same thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad