Proposal: MTL - DET

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Boyle and Plekanec were better than Glendening and they got traded for a 2nd. Glendening isn't going to return a 2nd and a tenacious 4th liner in Lehkonen.

Lol are you kidding? Do you think this season's trade market is comparable to 2016-17 or 2017-18?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Lol are you kidding? Do you think this season's trade market is comparable to 2016-17 or 2017-18?
And how do you know the trade market exactly? In fact, I'm sure Canadian teams would be less likely to give up the assets for a 4th liner that needs to quarantine for 2 weeks compared to those years.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
And how do you know the trade market exactly? In fact, I'm sure Canadian teams would be less likely to give up the assets for a 4th liner that needs to quarantine for 2 weeks compared to those years.

Teams are literally paying 1st and 2nd round picks to get rid of contracts. The salary cap is going to remain flat. We don't need to trade him to Canada.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Teams are literally paying 1st and 2nd round picks to get rid of contracts. The salary cap is going to remain flat. We don't need to trade him to Canada.
Lol are you kidding? That was in the offseason where teams were trying to be under the cap max, not now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Right, and the Habs are right against the cap. So they have to send money out to get a player back. Sending money out will cost you. If you don't want Glendening that's fine.
So it does make a difference, nice to see you have come to your senses. The Habs aren't trading a cap dump though, so it's not as simple as "sending money out". Lehkonen is a better player than Glendening and is younger.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
another amazing proposal

3pvCNdR.png

Reactions: Holystik

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
We're not giving a 2nd rouns pick for a 4th line C.

Peiple keep saying Danault wouldn't fetch a 1st, and he's lightyears above Glendenning in terms of defensive abilities and talent.

Glendenning is worth a 4th, max.

Just because someone who has no idea what they're talking about thinks Danault wouldn't return a 1st+, doesn't mean Glendening is not worth a 2nd.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I don’t see why Detroit is retaining and taking on the bigger contract. Seems like a fine deal without retention. 900k isn’t much at all, I just don’t understand why it would be there

Another DET poster said Lehkonen and a 3rd without retention, so I upped it to a 2nd for the retention. Montreal would want to make caproom for another deal.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
another amazing proposal

3pvCNdR.png
Here's the truth of the matter, I actually happen to agree with you that Glendening secretly sucks. I don't think any playoff team should trade for him, he might help them win a few more key faceoffs but it's not worth the assets he'll cost and the negative impact the advanced stats show he has the rest of the time. However you do have to apply a certain amount of context to those stats. Glendening is on one of, if not the, worst teams in the league, and as a key defensive center he faces quality competition and a lot of defensive situations. As a result his stats are worse than his actual performance. I still don't actually think he's good. He's just better than the stats show.

The thing is that it doesn't matter how good he actually is because NHL GMs are stupid. Every year they overvalue players like Glendening. They're getting smarter and maybe this year they finally get out from under whatever stupifying spell makes them think he's good. But unless this year represents a departure from their tendencies, someone is going to overpay for him. I'm expecting Glendening for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Should the other team do that? No, but someone probably will because they're stupid.

Hfboards posters are also stupid. We're stupid in the opposite ways as NHL GMs though. So on here, a guy like Glendening (or Danault who is a topic of frequent debate) gets underrated. The only posters that respect players like this are their own team's fans because we're the only ones that watch them every night to judge them on something other than their stats. I think Danault very well may get a first at the deadline. I only think that because I know that's what NHL GMs typically pay for a guy like him. Should they IMO? Absolutely not. But they do, so I know if I want Danault I should expect to pay that. I don't want him because I don't think he's worth that and he does nothing for a rebuilding Red Wings.

In the same way, you should expect to pay what GMs usually pay for Glendening-esque players. It's a 2nd/3rd without salary going back. Does that mean that you don't want him? Of course because you don't have NHL GM-syndrome.

barrie colts

Feb 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Here's the truth of the matter, I actually happen to agree with you that Glendening secretly sucks. I don't think any playoff team should trade for him, he might help them win a few more key faceoffs but it's not worth the assets he'll cost and the negative impact the advanced stats show he has the rest of the time. However you do have to apply a certain amount of context to those stats. Glendening is on one of, if not the, worst teams in the league, and as a key defensive center he faces quality competition and a lot of defensive situations. As a result his stats are worse than his actual performance. I still don't actually think he's good. He's just better than the stats show.

The thing is that it doesn't matter how good he actually is because NHL GMs are stupid. Every year they overvalue players like Glendening. They're getting smarter and maybe this year they finally get out from under whatever stupifying spell makes them think he's good. But unless this year represents a departure from their tendencies, someone is going to overpay for him. I'm expecting Glendening for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Should the other team do that? No, but someone probably will because they're stupid.

Hfboards posters are also stupid. We're stupid in the opposite ways as NHL GMs though. So on here, a guy like Glendening (or Danault who is a topic of frequent debate) gets underrated. The only posters that respect players like this are their own team's fans because we're the only ones that watch them every night to judge them on something other than their stats. I think Danault very well may get a first at the deadline. I only think that because I know that's what NHL GMs typically pay for a guy like him. Should they IMO? Absolutely not. But they do, so I know if I want Danault I should expect to pay that. I don't want him because I don't think he's worth that and he does nothing for a rebuilding Red Wings.

In the same way, you should expect to pay what GMs usually pay for Glendening-esque players. It's a 2nd/3rd without salary going back. Does that mean that you don't want him? Of course because you don't have NHL GM-syndrome.

This is quite the essay.... still IMO a "bad contract" and a 2nd should be more than enough.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'm expecting Glendening for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Should the other team do that? No, but someone probably will because they're stupid.

If you think you're team is a faceoff artist and balls-out PK guy away from being complete, and you're unwilling to trade a 2nd to get him, you shouldn't be an NHL GM.
Presumably, you're a good team, so you're talking about a pick at 45 or higher.
Look up the likelihood at finding a good NHLer at 45, 50, 55, and 60 and get back to me with your reasoning.

The Wings won't move Glendening for a third, I don't think.
It's second or bust. I'm not even sure if Yzerman pulls the trigger on a second.

Reactions: TS Quint

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If you think you're team is a faceoff artist and balls-out PK guy away from being complete, and you're unwilling to trade a 2nd to get him, you shouldn't be an NHL GM.
Presumably, you're a good team, so you're talking about a pick at 45 or higher.
Look up the likelihood at finding a good NHLer at 45, 50, 55, and 60 and get back to me with your reasoning.

The Wings won't move Glendening for a third, I don't think.
It's second or bust. I'm not even sure if Yzerman pulls the trigger on a second.
The thing is that I don't think that any team is a Glendening away from being complete. I don't think he impacts the game in a positive way much more than the average fourth liner. I think there are guys going through waivers that are better and similarly cheap all the time.

And of course, the average prospect selected in the second and/or third round doesn't make the team. But they represent some probability of producing an NHL player. When that probability comes through, you get a young player which is advantageous for contract and longevity reasons. The value is delayed though. For a team trying to win now, that delay is a problem but for the rebuilding Red Wings, that's actually a good thing because we need to collect a lot of good players.

It's precisely because the average 2nd rounder isn't a long-term NHer that we need to collect a large number of these picks. It's the only way we can expect to get good players. I think letting Glendening's contact run out without getting a pick for him would be foolish. He seems to be highly regarded around the league. He's probably going to leave in FA, but even if he stays, he'll probably be overpriced or become ineffective with age and be a detriment to a future team. It's time to move on from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad