Waived: [MTL] Canadiens waive Keith Kinkaid (cleared)

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't know why the Leafs are coming up as a potential landing spot. They clearly can't afford him. It's the same reason they didn't claim DeSmith, Coppley, or Domingue when they were waived earlier in the year. They can only get a guy at like 750K or less.

The Leafs need to think less Keith Kinkaid, more Anthony Stolarz.

Kinkaid should clear. He hasn't been good since he looked like half starter two years ago. And at $1.75 million, no one with a need will be willing to pay that.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
pretty much what is happening in Montreal and with the Media.

let's all pile on KK cause he didin't PPG as a young 19 years old center. Dear god, this is sad...
Who cares about being PPG
It's about how he looks. He looks extremely awkward out there this season

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Pending on if Greiss is badly sick or not maybe Isles here, Gibson is hurt, Coreau is trash and the two Euro prospects are having a very bad time adjusting, so we basically have zero depth right now.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Welcome to Toronto either via claim or after he clears

Kinkaid is not the answer that you are looking for. His cap hit is too high for waiver claims, and I doubt Montreal would trade him at 50%... in any case, he really hasn't been any better than our tire fires.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
No big news here, he's getting sent down to get him more games to get his confidence up. Fairly standard backup stuff

Reactions: Habs10Habs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kinkaid is not the answer that you are looking for. His cap hit is too high for waiver claims, and I doubt Montreal would trade him at 50%... in any case, he really hasn't been any better than our tire fires.

You got. to try something and it can't be a Marlie we have been going down that road nearly 15 months going back to Sparks.

It's failed the Marlies route has failed.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I meant before Kinkaid. What backup goalie got waived to get some game in?
I cant think of any off-hand.
Habs are saying it for conditioning but I don't bite. McNiven is too good for the ECHL and then your have Primeau and Lindgren in Laval. Too many guys needing to play games to develop.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You got. to try something and it can't be a Marlie we have been going down that road nearly 15 months going back to Sparks.

It's failed the Marlies route has failed.

From today. https://www.tsn.ca/kyle-dubas-on-mitch-marner-s-return-backup-goaltending-and-more-1.1406926

On the Leafs’ backup goalie situation, and whether he’s pursuing a trade to potentially replace Michael Hutchinson:

“We’re always looking at the trade market every day for every position. What I would really like more than anything is for us to put together a good game in front of Michael [for his next start on Wednesday against Colorado]. We need to give him an opportunity. I thought he was outstanding in the first period against Buffalo [in Friday's 6-4 loss] and I think we got a little bit sloppy thereafter. I know it’s the pressing question, there always has to be a pressing concern in this market, but I think what we're really looking forward to and what we’ll stress here today to the players is we’d like for them to put a complete effort in, in front of Fred and Michael both.

[Hutchinson has] been a good goalie in the past and he’s played well in stretches here and I’ve got full belief that he can get back. You don't lose it overnight and there’s always a regression to the mean to be had and he's got a good track record of doing that, so I don't think we want to be hasty; we want to be patient, we need to show our belief. I know that’s not the answer that people would like. I think if we were going to satisfy the masses, it would be to just make a move to make a move. I understand that, but we've got belief in him and will continue to support him here and get ready for the week ahead.”

======================================

I fully believe that we need a backup goalie, but it needs to be the right guy, not just another underperforming guy, because people are desperate for change. It needs to be the right change.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I wondee if Yzerman has a look Howard is hurt and we could always move Kinkaid at the deadline but eating a chunk of his salary.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Montreal is killing careers right now. Kinkaid made a mistake signing here.

He's probably not as trash as his stats suggest, look at what they are doing with Price lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Indeed but don't you guys have cap problems

Cap is tight but It's the job of the GM to find a solution because we literally can't start Hutch he's blown a minimum of 8 points in the standings.

If Toronto had an NHL caliber backup they do not lose 6-5 in a shootout to Montreal, they likely don't lose 4-3 to Washington after being up 2-0 at very least they get to OT, they do not lose to Chicago and I guarantee you, 100% they DO NOT lose to Buffalo on Friday if they have an NHL backup, but they don't so they did.

It's their biggest issue

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Montreal is killing careers right now. Kinkaid made a mistake signing here.

He's probably not as trash as his stats suggest, look at what they are doing with Price lol

You didn't even read Lebrun's tweet where he announced this eh?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yes we did he lost 6-1.

Don't you get sick of seeing Marlie goalies fail? I do and it's strange because the Marlies have consistently produced NHL players but they can't produce a goalie.

No, the team lost 6-1. He was just the scapegoat that had to endure a pitiful effort by the team.

That was not a "try". And it certainly was not a "fail" on his part. No goalie is a failure after being given one game.

I am sick of Hutch. I didn't think he deserved a shot in the first place, and he has been given multiple chances that he, and he alone, has blown. I think Kaskisuo should be given these opportunities now. Hutch was not a Marlies goalie. He played for the Marlies, but he was a stop gap... And not even a great one at that.

I was not sick of Sparks. He was not a failure. He was the scapegoat for a lot of problems that continued to persist and ultimately cost Babcock his job. Sparks had a 7-3-1 record with a .909 .SVV percentage by the beginning of February... And there were a few bad efforts from the Leafs mixed in there that dropped that number lower than his performance dictated. He was far from perfect, but he did his job extremely well for a rookie backup making 750k. I would take a Sparks from beginning of 2018-2019 until the beginning of February on this team right now... Especially with Keefe at the helm now.

Unfortunately, after that the wheels really fell off for the team. In his last 8 (6 of which he started) games he had a 1-6-0 record with a .891 .SVV percentage. In those games in which he started, he gave up 23 goals. Not great to give up almost 4 goals per game obviously. However, what people are forgetting is that the Leafs only scored a measly 11 goals in those games too... 4 of which came in the one game that Sparks won. So in the 5 games in which Sparks started and lost, the Leafs scored 7 goals and their defensive efforts were not any better. So as you should be able to imagine, the Leafs did not deserve to win ANY of those games regardless of who was playing backup. That is why Sparks called out the team and was eventually sent home.

That is a bit OT though, so I'll just leave it at saying that just because Hutch needs to be replaced, but that doesn't mean we should be rushing to any warm body that hits the market (i.e. Kinkaid)... Not when we have Kaskisuo in the system ready for a real chance at our backup job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad