Waived: [MTL] Canadiens waive Keith Kinkaid (cleared)

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
that would be a terrible move in my opinion
i can hear Bergevon and Julien talking now. hey lets throw a 20 year old into an nhl game behind our sieve like defence. what could go wrong. no chance we shatter the kids confidence right..
He was an off the board pick that surprised many people. Maybe he wasn't deserving of the 3rd overall pick? Hab fans can defend him but he has completely stunk this season and a big chunk of last season. Hab fans are notorious for over valuing their youth. You guys claimed Brookes was an elite top pairing player and KK was a top line centre. Your GM made the cardinal mistake of passing on BPA for a need passing on Brady and Quintin was just dumb on his part. Poeling another kid that anointed God after 1 game. Thank God I refused to adhere to my French Roots and chose to follow the Nucks when we moved here in the 80s. To see what looks like a team with zero future with such a rich history sucks.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well the Habs waived him so if some claims him they literally can't. Plus Detroit needs a goalie for a while.
And if someone claims him Detroit literally couldn't either(unless its Detroit)... not sure what you are struggling with. If habs couldn't trade him with 50% retention what makes you think Detroit can?

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Assuming he does clear waivers, a smart move for Bergevin if the Leafs are truly after him would be to improve his draft position.

Toronto:
Keith Kinkaid (50% retained)
Florida 2020 5th round pick

Montreal:
Hutchinson
Colombus 2020 3rd round pick
Maple Leafs 2021 7th round pick (MB loves these).

Leafs move back two rounds and surrender a 7th in a weaker draft in exchange for a guy that was borderline a starter not so long ago but that needs a fresh start.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Price struggles to play at .900 with how the team has collectively been playing defensively. I don't know what they are expecting out of an average backup playing with that same defense?

Yeah. Kinkaid obviously isn't going to save the Habs or anybody else's season...but this feels like pinning the tail on the wrong donkey. The Habs have so many other issues right now, far more pressing than a backup goaltender with lackluster numbers in a small sample. While even their megabucks superstar starter isn't managing to put together anything resembling great numbers behind that team.

Kinkaid hasn’t been good but hasn’t been bad either. This move is to make room for Mcniven in the AHL as he’s destroying the ECHL. Lindgren will get called up, Mcniven and primeau will split the goalie job in Laval.

This actually makes some sense. If Kinkaid is picked up, it saves them some money and opens up a space for McNiven back in Laval. Bringing up Primeau instead though...makes it feel like more of a desperation move hoping for a "spark" to bounce the team out of their overall funk. The guy has what, like a dozen Pro games under his belt? A promising young goaltender like Primeau who is supposed to be "the future"...needs to be playing and learning and the Pro level, not warming a bench.

That part of this situation makes it pretty weird, and makes it feel a lot less like what you're suggesting - as a means of making room for younger guys to move up a notch. Though i'd imagine a lot of that is that Lindgren just simply hasn't ever regained the form he showed in that brief call-up where he showed out a while back. Probably not much faith he'd be able to hold his own in the NHL right now - behind that defensive play, especially.

Makes it feel a lot more like a desperation "shakeup" move.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Must be part of a bigger picture surely. Im just damned if i know what it is!

Gaud

May 11, 2017
now that was a short lived Habs career...

Cayden Primeau, please stand up....
(he has been called up)

Lots of talk on this in Mtl right now. Interesting thoughts coming out this time, though:
- some think this is a smoke screen to change the focus of Mtl's media pressure
- some think this is a lose-lose for Primeau, who would come into a situation where if he wins lots , fans call for Price's head and if he loses, fans caall for management's head and criticizes development
- some hopefuls think this is going to be a story like Hart or Billington

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Assuming he does clear waivers, a smart move for Bergevin if the Leafs are truly after him would be to improve his draft position.

Toronto:

Montreal:
Hutchinson

Leafs move back two rounds and surrender a 7th in a weaker draft in exchange for a guy that was borderline a starter not so long ago but that needs a fresh start.

Weaker draft? I've haven't heard anyone say this is a weaker draft. All I hear is P. McGuire saying you hoard picks in this draft.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Lots of talk on this in Mtl right now. Interesting thoughts coming out this time, though:
- some think this is a smoke screen to change the focus of Mtl's media pressure
- some think this is a lose-lose for Primeau, who would come into a situation where if he wins lots , fans call for Price's head and if he loses, fans caall for management's head and criticizes development
- some hopefuls think this is going to be a story like Hart or Billington

craigbillington.jpg

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I hope they don't bring up Primeau. He will let in three goals or more in two games and fans will start bashing him and say he's a bust like Kotkaniemi.

Well that's what happens when you go 3rd overall in your draft class, the expectations are that much higher. Blame MB for that he traded up the get kotkaniemi when they could have stayed pat and still drafted him

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Yeah I don't say when the team goes well and 1/2 goalies suck... but all of Montreal sucks including the goalies
Wow. Actually no they don't. They are all pretty good players.. something is just unstable there and needs to be addressed without a bandaid.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Wow. Actually no they don't. They are all pretty good players.. something is just unstable there and needs to be addressed without a bandaid.

I meant the team as a whole "collectively" sucks now. They are not as bad as Detroit or Ottawa for example, but I believe that there are 8 teams in the East that are easily better than them. Their current streak won't last, but they still are not a playoff team.

Also, maybe they're all "pretty good players", but 3 NHL caliber defensemen and maybe 9 NHL forwards don't make a team successful. Habs best forwards are middle of the pack (Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Danault for example are 2nd liners). They have 2 great RD in Weber and Petry. Chiarot should not play top pairing minutes and Mete has been rushed since day 1.

Gallagher is the exception in offense, being an elite grinding/goal scoring machine. Price is an excellent goaltender, but my opinion is the current landscape of the NHL is better suited to good teams with average goaltending than below average teams with excellent goaltending.

Waiving Kinkaid to play Primeau will probably coincide with a win, as Montreal already has an 8 game losing streak. But in reality, it does nothing but to confirm that some players (Kinkaid) are losing confidence in their game.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Weaker draft? I've haven't heard anyone say this is a weaker draft. All I hear is P. McGuire saying you hoard picks in this draft.
The 2020 is said to be strong, the 2021 I have heard it would be weaker. But who knows, those things only play out 10+ years post-draft.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010

Toronto:

Montreal:
Hutchinson

Thats actually not a terrible idea. Whats say Habs fans?

Im still pissed at Glasses for letting McBackup get away and keeping Sparks. Oh well.

Reactions: xNogaitx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->