Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Brendan Gallagher signs extension (6 years, $6.5M AAV)

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Wow look at you, picking one season.

How about we look at the last 3 years.

He is 5th.
IMG_20201015_100210.jpg

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Isn't he somewhat injury prone? And he plays a physical game.

I love him as a player. But i wouldn't be surprised if his last 2 years would be considered a cap dump due to his body breaking down etc.

He's had injuries but they aren't recurring things. Here are all injuries that have kept him out of games in order from most recent to least.

Broken jaw - Cross checked in Face

Undisclosed lower body injury (less than 10 games missed)

Broken Hand - got hit by Shea Weber slap shot.

Broken Hand - got hit by a Johnny Boychuk shot.

2 of the 4 are freak accidents

1 was Niskanen maliciously breaking his face

And the third was a minor injury that is fairly common.

He has played in 90% of all possible games in his career. If you dont count the freak accident rocket shots to the finger that would break anyone's hand it goes up to 96%.

He is actually surprisingly durable.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I wonder if Gallagher and Bergevin conspired together. "Hey let's leak to media contract talks have stalled - to make a big splash a few days later by announcing it". With the timing I honestly wouldn't be shocked. And i'd love it if they did.

Could easily see that being the plan. "Let's have some fun with these clowns." Very strange that "stall" story gets out when they basically would have had the deal wrapped up at that point and just drawing up contracts. Gallagher does some radio shows in Montreal, he knows the media world well.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Kind of like habs fans with Hall and pretty much every big name free agent they think they will land lol
lol our media is to blame. Every time someone (other than a starting goalie) has rumors of being traded, there is an article written that he could end up in montreal. same thing for free agents and quebequoi players.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
They got tired of their "why don't you draft quebecois players anymore, or trade for them"
i think this is funny - if you had a business and openly said that you were targeting a certain demographic, you woudl be labelled as a bigot. I do get the hometown hero appeal though.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
@BobClarkesfrontteeth Want to enlighten me on this latest development?
LOL my first stalker on HF Forums. Sweet!
I am very happy Gallagher got his pay day. If a guy deserves one its him. Going to be interesting to watch how 3 top 2 wingers with the same skill set are going to fit. More interesting is what the extension to Allen will mean at expansion time.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
A little expensive (Montreal taxes are high though) and perhaps a year too long? Probably true in a vacuum, but with us adding Anderson (and to a lesser extent Toffoli) there is going to be more banging and crashing in the O zone and the onus won't all be on pint-sized Gally to do it.

I personally would still have explored possible returns for him this year, but let's just drop the ******* puck and get this juggernaut rolling!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The value is ok, term is a bit tough for a scrappy, undersized physical forward but not sure he would sign for any fewer years.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
What people forget is we also now have anderson and toffoli to relieve some of that pressure Gallagher had to go through on his own. He won't be the only scrappy winger we have which is good maybe it will lengthen gallagher's wear and tear on his body.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Like this deal for Montreal, Gally is a solid player.

Hopefully it ages well, considering these types of players decline quickly, but well deserved and fair contract from MTL POV.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Montreal is playing such a short term game... and for what? To maybe make the playoffs for a year or two? Maybe???
Because this core probably doesn't get out of round one.
And what does this like when Carey Price is 35? How old will Weber be at that point (fortunately, Nashville could be on the hook for this one.)
Will Gallagher's hardnosed-game break his body? How long before Anderson's contract becomes an anchor.
It's the closest thing Bergevin's ever had to a vision.

The last few years of their contracts, all these players are old at the same time and the team would perform poorly and thereby rebuild with earlier draft picks. As for the next 1-3 years, maybe that's how small the window is.

Also.. every time I open a thread about contracts assigned to players, the same thing always comes up: he was signed for too long, he's gonna finish at X age

Well.. here's the thing. You need to give players term for them to accept contracts often time. Otherwise, the AAV will be higher. Higher AAV reduces your chance at a cup

Jason Wadden

People just need to watch Gallagher go out every night and see him leaving it all on the ice day in and day out...he's the heart and soul of the org. and worth every penny.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Gallagher seems about as valuable a player as Torey Krug, so the contract is not awful, it just isn't a bargain. I bet you Montreal could have had this at least a half million cheaper on the AAV if they didn't sign Anderson to that deal just days before. Gallagher is the better player, so he should be making more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad