Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Brendan Gallagher signs extension (6 years, $6.5M AAV)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
You really have to be a non-Habs fan to trash on this contract. I ought to imagine that almost all team have one of these players: talented, heart and soul, warrior, face the franchise type of player that has absolutely no business to play for any other team than their own. That’s obviously Brendan Gallagher for the Canadiens.

Some fan might have wish one less year or 500K less on the average salary, but every habs fan are unanimously happy to have Gallagher signed long term. After a good to excellent (time will tell) offseason for the Canadiens, this contract is the cherry on top.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Term might be a bit long; but, the contract is fine. He's a critical player for the Habs. Too much whining in this thread over a no brainer signing, you all must be bored.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
That is all good and fine but Montreal is still a long long ways from being a serious Stanley Cup contender...indeed they may even struggle to even get into the playoffs.....

I mean they have a serviceable defense, elite goalie, and a forward group that is looking better by the season. Also MTL probably shouldve beaten Philly...Philly all smoke and mirrors imho

And its the playoffs..anything can happen in front of an elite net minder.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Man math is hard for some.:huh:
It's just as close to 6 as it is to 7.:naughty:
It is one of the tougher subjects you know . My math says Gallagher was underpaid by 500,000 grand a year for six years making this deal 6 per. If we take off another 500,000 for Quebec taxes it puts him at 5.5 million. Same as drouin and Anderson. I say give danault 5.5 million for six years to . For the most part than everyone is pretty equal . Give the two kids 3 m bridge deals and armia something similar to Toffoli.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I expected some more pushback from Gallagher, because the last deal he signed was a bargain for the habs.

Still, this contract seems like a situation where Bergevin probably wanted to settle at 6 Mil, while the gally camp was would be pushing for 7. They probably met halfway and called it a deal.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You really have to be a non-Habs fan to trash on this contract. I ought to imagine that almost all team have one of these players: talented, heart and soul, warrior, face the franchise type of player that has absolutely no business to play for any other team than their own. That’s obviously Brendan Gallagher for the Canadiens.

Some fan might have wish one less year or 500K less on the average salary, but every habs fan are unanimously happy to have Gallagher signed long term. After a good to excellent (time will tell) offseason for the Canadiens, this contract is the cherry on top.

Agreed 100% EB.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Good deal for the team and the player. The guy has been scoring 30 goals and making 3.75m a season, so some of this is recognizing that fact.
If he breaks down with a couple of years left, LTIR will have a visit from Gally.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
Nice deal and I'm glad for him it got done. I don't like Montreal but I still appreciate that it would have been a real shame if this ended up as a soap opera with Gallagher leaving on bad terms after all he's given them.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Montreal is playing such a short term game... and for what? To maybe make the playoffs for a year or two? Maybe???
Because this core probably doesn't get out of round one.
And what does this like when Carey Price is 35? How old will Weber be at that point (fortunately, Nashville could be on the hook for this one.)
Will Gallagher's hardnosed-game break his body? How long before Anderson's contract becomes an anchor.

How is it a short term game when we didn't give up any long-term assets this summer?

We already had a top prospect pool and added 3 top-50 picks in this year's draft, along with having 14 more picks in next year's draft. Bergevin improved us in the short term without mortgaging the long-term future of the franchise

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
6.5M is a great price for the league's best driver of 5v5 offense. Not typically a fan of giving term like this to a guy nearing 30, but he hasn't shown any indication of decline to this point, so maybe it won't be so bad
Isn't he somewhat injury prone? And he plays a physical game.

I love him as a player. But i wouldn't be surprised if his last 2 years would be considered a cap dump due to his body breaking down etc.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I wonder if Gallagher and Bergevin conspired together. "Hey let's leak to media contract talks have stalled - to make a big splash a few days later by announcing it". With the timing I honestly wouldn't be shocked. And i'd love it if they did.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I agree but the bolded might be a bit of a stretch. I'm not unhappy to have him signed - but I was one of those who was definitely willing to explore his trade value in the event that we could get a really high return (maybe as a package for a big piece). So I wouldn't say all Hab fans unanimously wanted to sign him long-term.

Still - now that we did sign him, great contract. 500k more or less is fine. Some people are saying term is a bit long - but 6 years is fine. At 7 or especially 8 it would have been scary, 6 shouldn't be a problem. Even if he's slowed down a lot by the last year, it's just 1 year.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

I love him as a player. But i wouldn't be surprised if his last 2 years would be considered a cap dump due to his body breaking down etc.
How is he injury prone? He missed games because of slap shots to the hand twice and that was it.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Body Breaking down = LTIR = NO PROBLEM

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP

With the exception of the freak hand injuries from a couple of Weber slapshots, and the most recent Niskanen incident, I don't recall him having any injuries that would be indicative of a break down

Not to say he won't break down, it does tend to happen with age, and he does take more abuse than most. Thing is, people have been saying that he can't endure the abuse since he came into the league. He endures. Most players will show signs of decline as they approach 30, Gallagher hasn't yet.

The 6-year term isn't ideal, obviously, but I'm not super concerned

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad