Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Brendan Gallagher signs extension (6 years, $6.5M AAV)

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Well I have something to cheer you up about Weber . You see he was heavily overpaid in the early part of his contract . That’s a no-no. Vancouver is paying the price now on luongo . Nashville will be wanting to trade for him really really bad just to be able to buy him out . It’ll all happen in two years .
Not sure why other teams keep forgetting Weber most likely goes back to Nashville because of the recapture penalty? Like honestly you think a team wants to take close to 8m in dead cap? Nashville will be trading for Weber once he starts making 3m to 1m a season.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Montreal is playing such a short term game... and for what? To maybe make the playoffs for a year or two? Maybe???
Because this core probably doesn't get out of round one.
And what does this like when Carey Price is 35? How old will Weber be at that point (fortunately, Nashville could be on the hook for this one.)
Will Gallagher's hardnosed-game break his body? How long before Anderson's contract becomes an anchor.

Reactions: Conbon

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Montreal is playing such a short term game... and for what? To maybe make the playoffs for a year or two? Maybe???
And what does this like when Carey Price is 35? How old will Weber be at that point (fortunately, Nashville could be on the hook for this one.)
Will Gallagher's hardnosed-game break his body? How long before Anderson's contract becomes an anchor.
How the hell is this short term? 4 to 5 years is a long time you do know that right? just add 4 to 5 years on your age and thats how long the Habs have to compete. Is it perfect? nope but it gives them the best chance to win considering we would be waiting on drafting another number one Dman and another number one goalie.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Not sure why other teams keep forgetting Weber most likely goes back to Nashville because of the recapture penalty? Like honestly you think a team wants to take close to 8m in dead cap? Nashville will be trading for Weber once he starts making 3m to 1m a season.
Absolutely. And as soon as Nashville tries to screw him around he’ll file his retirement papers. They’ll be buying him out before the ink is dry on the trade papers .

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
This seems like too much term and too much money? Am I missing something here?

Reactions: David71

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
It was mostly from TO or Vancouver.
iu

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This seems like too much term and too much money? Am I missing something here?
a

As stated earlier in the thread Gallagher is one of the top 5v5 goal scorers in the NHL. 30 goals a year costs around 6.5 million. It is a year longer than I'd like though but we'll deal with that if we get there.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
a

As stated earlier in the thread Gallagher is one of the top 5v5 goal scorers in the NHL. 30 goals a year costs around 6.5 million. It is a year longer than I'd like though but we'll deal with that if we get there.

It seems I was missing something. :laugh: 22nd in EV goals last season, on pace for 59 points. Money is fair, and the term shouldn't be too bad either. Thanks.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah it's going to be weird to have largely the same team in three years instead of 5 players and a rotating door of others.

Leafs added Simmonds, Vesey, Boyd, Bogosion and Brodie, and lost Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson in the process. Habs did the same thing as Toronto (harder to play against, better on defense, backup goaltender) but better, and adding scoring, and we gave up nothing to achieve it (Domi, but he was on his way out because he didn't fit anymore)

I'm a Habs fan but let's not act like us losing Domi is nothing while Kapanen and Johnsson are "big losses".
Leafs don't need to add more scoring, they have Nylander, Tavares, Matthews and Marner already for that, so of course Montreal should be padding with "better" players than the Leaf's padding, the whole strategy is to spread money around to overcome our lack of superstar with good players around the lineup.

And I mean... Leafs potentially overcommitted to their superstars, so obviously they can't overcommit to their depth players - which Montreal does but they seem to do it on players they REALLY like.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He had the same deal as Anderson on the table for 7 years at 5.5. I actually wouldn't have minded the that deal.

People talking about breaking down, this deal is literally for his prime years. Plus that last year is at 4M in real cash. With only a 6 team NTC, easy to move.

Sadly I think fans today think everyone over 30 is done.. Thats not how it works, the reality is good hockey players can still play solid hockey into their mid to late 30s. What is happening is teams are so up against the cap that they rather take chances on young players on ELC then maybe go sign decent but not so great vets. I think your going to see it more so now with the cap not going up.

Reactions: ItWasJustified

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I think Gallagher should have switched agents.

After that monstrosity MB handed to Anderson, this makes MB look like a competent NHL GM.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's the only one with Jesus Price himself who is home gown lol
Next Captain of the Montreal Canadiens, for sure.
Not the most talented player in the World (not even close), but 100% the hardest worker. Busting his ass every night.

You earned 'em millions, son.

200.gif

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Agents always using the erratic Benning as pawn to bid up contracts. Glad Vancouver avoided this. That's too much money today and way too much money down the road.

Montreal was in such a great spot going into FA. But the Anderson and Gallagner deals took away cap space that could have been used to get better.

Like Montreal moving ahead but more was possible.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Wait, isn't this at least a slight overpayment - especially considering the situation? I would have understood this last year or so, but I thought that the uncertainty and flat cap would mean GMs holding on to their wallets. I guess that memo never got to Montreal.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would the Habs not spend to the limit?

I guess too many posters are ignorant on how rich the Habs are. Right next to the Rangers and Leafs.

Reactions: HabsQC

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

we have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Gallagher is on the last season of a 6-year contract. What did people say back then when he signed it? "Yeah the salary figure is right but with his style of play, six years is too much because blah blah blah".

Turns out the length of that contract was not an issue at all. He was hungry, he was healthy and he grew as a player.

Gallagher is the heart and soul of the Habs and I love that once again, he is signing long term. It's what he's worth.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad