Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Brendan Gallagher signs extension (6 years, $6.5M AAV)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'm interested in knowing what those 4 or 5 pieces would be.

The glaring pieces are a top pairing 2way LD and a #1 C. Hopefully one of Suzuki/KK can become that #1 C sooner than later. top pairing LD going to be hard to get.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
If you really round it up more it's almost $10M! $10M for a $5,9 player???? :help:
Because rounding 6.5 up to 7 is totally the same thing as 5.9 - 10 lmao. I didn’t even say 7, I said almost 7 million. Stop acting so childish. Maybe you’re only 13 or 14 though so I’ll forgive you this once.

6.5 is still a lot for Gallagher. I’m glad all the montreal fans are so happy with the contract tho. Congrats.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I'm a Habs fan but let's not act like us losing Domi is nothing while Kapanen and Johnsson are "big losses".
Leafs don't need to add more scoring, they have Nylander, Tavares, Matthews and Marner already for that, so of course Montreal should be padding with "better" players than the Leaf's padding, the whole strategy is to spread money around to overcome our lack of superstar with good players around the lineup.

And I mean... Leafs potentially overcommitted to their superstars, so obviously they can't overcommit to their depth players - which Montreal does but they seem to do it on players they REALLY like.

Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi is our 1/2/3 --- it was Domi or Danault who had to leave, and obviously Domi was seen as redundant in what we already have. If he had of stayed, Domi would be 3LW beside Kotkaniemi, where Toffoli likely ends up playing instead. Anderson who is replacing Domi, likely slots either as our 1RW or 2RW for the rest of the season. From a positional standpoint, we actually unequivocally improved our roster because we moved from a position of strength to fill a positional weakness (RW AND he is a big two-way guy)

The Leafs, however, gave up their scoring depth. Their 3rd line went from Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen to Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Simmonds ... I like Simmonds, and I like Mikheyev, but let's not pretend they are anything but downgrades on AJ/Kapanen. AJ outside of Hyman was the only forward who had any sandpaper to him, so the reality is the Leafs offensively got worse this offseason, and their forechecking didn't get any better either.

Their defence got a huge upgrade comparatively, but I still don't think that it is enough to make them a truly competitive team.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
i think Danault stays, but not Tatar. Byron and Armia are likely to leave by teh season.s end too

I don't see Armia going; he is the perfect 3RW in our system and he can play 4RW once Caufield is ready. We added Anderson because we want more players of that ilk not less. He will also be cheap.

Byron is gone 100% in the next offseason if not this one.

Tatar is gone 100% unless he's willing to take a good deal for Montreal but I wouldn't expect him to do that; just no room for him long term if Toffoli and Drouin are playing well.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
The glaring pieces are a top pairing 2way LD and a #1 C. Hopefully one of Suzuki/KK can become that #1 C sooner than later. top pairing LD going to be hard to get.

Habs need star forwards, IMO. Maybe the kids step up but it's hard winning 4 rounds in the playoffs without legit star forwards. I don't think they need 4 or 5 mind you, but definitely 1 or 2.

My thoughts exactly. 2 pieces, 3 tops. 4 or 5 pieces would turn them into a dynasty :laugh:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Congrats to the kid he’s earned it.
He was a steal under his last contract!

Can’t wait to see our new faces as they watch this lil’ bull play his style of game. Anderson & Toffoli will be lit up to play after watching what this kid brings every shift.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He's had injuries but they aren't recurring things. Here are all injuries that have kept him out of games in order from most recent to least.

Broken jaw - Cross checked in Face

Undisclosed lower body injury (less than 10 games missed)

Broken Hand - got hit by Shea Weber slap shot.

Broken Hand - got hit by a Johnny Boychuk shot.

2 of the 4 are freak accidents

1 was Niskanen maliciously breaking his face

And the third was a minor injury that is fairly common.

He has played in 90% of all possible games in his career. If you dont count the freak accident rocket shots to the finger that would break anyone's hand it goes up to 96%.

He is actually surprisingly durable.
Thanks for a great reply.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Because rounding 6.5 up to 7 is totally the same thing as 5.9 - 10 lmao. I didn’t even say 7, I said almost 7 million. Stop acting so childish. Maybe you’re only 13 or 14 though so I’ll forgive you this once.

6.5 is still a lot for Gallagher. I’m glad all the montreal fans are so happy with the contract tho. Congrats.

Not being childish here, this was only to point out your ridiculous attempt to bash a fair contract by rounding it up higher.

However, I do understand how Leafs fan seize all opportunities they can to say a player is overpriced given that this is continuously said about their players, so I'll forgive you this one.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Not being childish here, this was only to point out your ridiculous attempt to bash a fair contract by rounding it up higher.

However, I do understand how Leafs fan seize all opportunities they can to say a player is overpriced given that this is continuously said about their players, so I'll forgive you this one.
I didn’t round anything up. I said it was almost 7 million and 6.5 is, well, pretty close to 7 million.

I obviously touched a nerve tho or you wouldn’t have said anything and got all defensive. Don’t be so serious and relax a bit there champ lmao.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site

It's a fair contract, Gallagher paid his dues and more than earned it. You know exactly what you get out of him every single shift, he's as consistent of a player as you can get. This guy only knows one way to play the game and has never taken a single shift off since his WHL Vancouver Giants days. Everyone team in the NHL would welcome a player like him.

He's arguably the best player in the league at scoring goals in high paying zones around the net, tipping shots, pouncing on rebounds etc. He's mastered that art and is like the modern version of Thomas Holmstrom. He also proved that he's one of the most productive players 5on5 in the NHL. Out of his 22 goals last year, he only had one on the powerplay. The reason is simple: Montreal's PP has been terrible, the team had real issues gaining the zone and maintaining puck possession. On a better team, he could have easily been more productive.

About the age factor, look at players like Brad Marchand, he's had and is still having his best years from age 27 to 32. Bergeron is still a very effective veteran at age 35. Not everyone regresses as soon as they hit age 30. Gallagher is 28 and will be signed until age 34. I'm expecting Gallagher to be in the same mold for Montreal when he enters his 30s; a home-grown player, solid veteran and leader that young players can look up to. You want your younger players to play the right way and be surrounded by these type of veterans, who lead by example and give their 110% every single shift.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Montreal is so screwed with the cap lol

Way too much term to two powerforwards on top of Price and Weber contracts.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
This proves yet again that these clickbait hacks at TSN and sports net have no clue what they are talking about.

Not so fast, the original quote was from Gallagher's agent. His agent and Bergevin, later said it was just a misunderstanding... Probably to put pressure on the organization.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
It's a fair contract, Gallagher paid his dues and more than earned it. You know exactly what you get out of him every single shift, he's as consistent of a player as you can get. This guy only knows one way to play the game and has never taken a single shift off since his WHL Vancouver Giants days. Everyone team in the NHL would welcome a player like him.

He's arguably the best player in the league at scoring goals in high paying zones around the net, tipping shots, pouncing on rebounds etc. He's mastered that art and is like the modern version of Thomas Holmstrom. He also proved that he's one of the most productive players 5on5 in the NHL. Out of his 22 goals last year, he only had one on the powerplay. The reason is simple: Montreal's PP has been terrible, the team had real issues gaining the zone and maintaining puck possession. On a better team, he could have easily been more productive.

About the age factor, look at players like Brad Marchand, he's had and is still having his best years from age 27 to 32. Bergeron is still a very effective veteran at age 35. Not everyone regresses as soon as they hit age 30. Gallagher is 28 and will be signed until age 34. I'm expecting Gallagher to be in the same mold for Montreal when he enters his 30s; a home-grown player, solid veteran and leader that young players can look up to. You want your younger players to play the right way and be surrounded by these type of veterans, who lead by example and give their 110% every single shift.
Well, that was an excellent post. Thanks for that. No arguments that he’s an outstanding player. 6.5 just jumped out as a lot of money to me!

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
What I find interesting is that everyone bitches about the Anderson contract like it's ridiculous and yet Columbus reportedly were offering him pretty much the same contract that Montreal signed him for. Columbus was offering 7 years at 5M while Mtl signed him at 5.5M.

That said, Gallagher's deal has nothing to do with Anderson's. He was going to get this deal regardless. He's earned it and it's fair compensation for his worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: ultraboy

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Mr. romanov May I present

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
A good player locked up and paid for what he previously did not what he’s potentially going to do just like the price contract..

akratique

Aug 17, 2008
I don't see Armia going; he is the perfect 3RW in our system and he can play 4RW once Caufield is ready. We added Anderson because we want more players of that ilk not less. He will also be cheap.

Byron is gone 100% in the next offseason if not this one.

Tatar is gone 100% unless he's willing to take a good deal for Montreal but I wouldn't expect him to do that; just no room for him long term if Toffoli and Drouin are playing well.

Yup, Tatar leaves, Toffoli moves back to LW and one of Ylonen or Caufield comes in on an ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->