Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Brendan Gallagher signs extension (6 years, $6.5M AAV)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's the closest thing Bergevin's ever had to a vision.

The last few years of their contracts, all these players are old at the same time and the team would perform poorly and thereby rebuild with earlier draft picks. As for the next 1-3 years, maybe that's how small the window is.

Also.. every time I open a thread about contracts assigned to players, the same thing always comes up: he was signed for too long, he's gonna finish at X age

Well.. here's the thing. You need to give players term for them to accept contracts often time. Otherwise, the AAV will be higher. Higher AAV reduces your chance at a cup

Sure... but so many??
I get it with a 21 or 23 year old. They grow into and then exceed the value of the contract. Too many of these deals given out a are really asking to get smashed.

NHL GMs have finally woken up and smelled the coffee and started paying the players when they're worth it - 22-29.
Problem is, you can't pay them 22-29 AND 29-36.
And if you have to choose one, choose the former.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Because rounding 6.5 up to 7 is totally the same thing as 5.9 - 10 lmao. I didn’t even say 7, I said almost 7 million. Stop acting so childish. Maybe you’re only 13 or 14 though so I’ll forgive you this once.

6.5 is still a lot for Gallagher. I’m glad all the montreal fans are so happy with the contract tho. Congrats.
Why say almost 7 mil? You could have easily said just over 6 mil
Both are BS. Your just using the almost 7 mil to try to make the deal sound bad and you have the audacity to call another poster childish.:facepalm:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi is our 1/2/3 --- it was Domi or Danault who had to leave, and obviously Domi was seen as redundant in what we already have. If he had of stayed, Domi would be 3LW beside Kotkaniemi, where Toffoli likely ends up playing instead. Anderson who is replacing Domi, likely slots either as our 1RW or 2RW for the rest of the season. From a positional standpoint, we actually unequivocally improved our roster because we moved from a position of strength to fill a positional weakness (RW AND he is a big two-way guy)

The Leafs, however, gave up their scoring depth. Their 3rd line went from Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen to Mikheyev/Kerfoot/Simmonds ... I like Simmonds, and I like Mikheyev, but let's not pretend they are anything but downgrades on AJ/Kapanen. AJ outside of Hyman was the only forward who had any sandpaper to him, so the reality is the Leafs offensively got worse this offseason, and their forechecking didn't get any better either.

Their defence got a huge upgrade comparatively, but I still don't think that it is enough to make them a truly competitive team.

It's funny because Mikeyev is a downgrade from Kapenen despite the size difference (idk about style of play ?) but Anderson is a clear upgrade over Domi (who was playing wings as well!). It's a similar move, sacrifice the smaller, more "talented" forward for a bigger, grittier one. Except Mikheyev comes from the inside and Kapenen reaped a 1st + a good prospect in Hallander.

Similarly, Johnsson was traded against a younger player who had some NHL time last year, Simmonds acquired for cheap - similar production but Simmonds is much, much bigger.

Obviously, Habs are more improved relatively - because they fill 2 top 6 spots with Toffoli and Anderson (oh man, crossing fingers on this one), while the Leafs are padding their depth with Simmonds. In a sense it reminds me of Tampa adding Maroon and Bogosian last season (well... yeah that's kinda funny for Bogosian haha)

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I like this one on personal level. Gally has repped the Habs big time the last many years. Heart of the franchise player. Fair money and they fit him in with the collection of shiny new wingers. I really like it for both sides.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Sure... but so many??
I get it with a 21 or 23 year old. They grow into and then exceed the value of the contract. Too many of these deals given out a are really asking to get smashed.

NHL GMs have finally woken up and smelled the coffee and started paying the players when they're worth it - 22-29.
Problem is, you can't pay them 22-29 AND 29-36.
And if you have to choose one, choose the former.
Habs will have a small window from these signatures. It won't be big, sure. However, like I said, in comparison to other teams not even spending anything at all, they'll be able to naturally phase out their core and also rebuild and get good prospects (TOP 3 OA potentially?)

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
The main sports media outlets in Canada (basically leafs media) wanted some serious drama with the gallagher situation. Gallagher was probably looking for 7+ mill for 7-8 years and I think once he seen all the media talking negatively about the situation he said you know what no ammo for the leafs. I don’t care what anyone says habs are legit. Good luck competing with them 5 on 5. Hopefully they have somewhat of a powerplay. That’s the X factor I think

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Habs will have a small window from these signatures. It won't be big, sure. However, like I said, in comparison to other teams not even spending anything at all, they'll be able to naturally phase out their core and also rebuild and get good prospects (TOP 3 OA potentially?)

My question is, a window for what?

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
My question is, a window for what?
They should at least have potential to make best 4 with the recent additions, depending on how Suzuki and KK progress, barring any steep decline from Price or Weber

What else were they to do? It was that, or trade Price

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They should at least have potential to make best 4 with the recent additions, depending on how Suzuki and KK progress, barring any steep decline from Price or Weber

What else were they to do? It was that, or trade Price

That's the thing. They couldn't NOT sign Price. But they Price signing was incredibly shortsighted, at the same time.
I think it's imperative that teams start thinking harder about the way they structure contracts so that potential team leaders don't become UFAs at 28-29-30 and hijack you into deals that almost surely end badly.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
That's the thing. They couldn't NOT sign Price. But they Price signing was incredibly shortsighted, at the same time.
I think it's imperative that teams start thinking harder about the way they structure contracts so that potential team leaders don't become UFAs at 28-29-30 and hijack you into deals that almost surely end badly.

Price is worth every dime and if anyone needed a reminder why, just watch their playoff run again...there isn't a team that wouldn't want Carey, even at 10.5m...Weber's contract will hurt in a couple of years, but can be dealt with, as will any of the Habs contracts, really...they really aren't in bad shape, comparatively

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
LOL.

The same KoKo with 8 points in 36 games last year?

The same Caufield with 0 NHL games on his belt?

Suzuki’s a good player but he scored 41 points in 71 games, hardly anything to jump at.

All these long term deals combined with an aging Weber + Price, this is a recipe for disaster.
you don't know how good Koko is

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
As a fan of the Leafs, I'm impressed with what the Habs have done this off season. Signing Gallagher, to me, was the right thing to do. He's a Hab through and through.
That’s nice to hear . In return I thought your signing of brodie will become one of the better ufa pickups this year . You can pretty well bank on it .

Reactions: meefer

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I'm interested in knowing what those 4 or 5 pieces would be.
Depth D, top C, powerpplay net guy, physical forward...is this that hard? You know the same things that kept them from advancing again.... they cant score enough...then only thing they addressed were the back up G and some offense depth in toffoli...if think that gonna put them over the top.....LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad