Proposal: MTL/ARI/MIN: OEL/Futures/Domi

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
At the age of 25, Domi has better numbers. If you feel it's not a good comparison (Avs to Sabres trade)... What is another guy traded at 25? Not too many examples of that come to my mind.
He had better points per game averaged over multiple seasons. His outlier year of 72 points buoys that up considerably.

In the 4 seasons prior to the trade O'Reilly had 3 seasons above 50 points and 1 above 60. The season he was lower than 50 was the lockout year where he had 20 in 29. And that was while playing center with difficult assignments. He was (and is) an entirely different breed of player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He had better points per game averaged over multiple seasons. His outlier year of 72 points buoys that up considerably.

In the 4 seasons prior to the trade O'Reilly had 3 seasons above 50 points and 1 above 60. The season he was lower than 50 was the lockout year where he had 20 in 29. And that was while playing center with difficult assignments. He was (and is) an entirely different breed of player.

Who cares. You act like Domi's 72 pts and 28 goals was a fluke where he played with 3rd line talent and only 15% of it on the PP. You can try to throw that under the rug all you want but that's not the issue with Domi. The issue is his commitment to playing D.

At the end of the day... the production from Domi and ROR from age 20-25 is similar with Domi having a bit better numbers. You want to take away that age 23 season... sure. Domi falls to ROR level at 0.58 pts/game vs his 0.67 pts/game. You are not bringing up good context there.

ROR was traded for two grade A prospects who were mid 1st round picks trending well in their draft +1 and +2 years of development. And also the 31st pick. That's 3 very solid futures. And some say Domi is not worth the 8th, 9th, or 10th pick straight up... who are 18 and under and you don't get to see the draft +1, +2 years? Someone in that top 10 is going to disappoint

The main point? Domi is worth more than what you see on HF boards and what you think. He is a very good offensive top 6 talent and you know it but you rather spend your energy being pessimistic

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Who cares. You act like Domi's 72 pts and 28 goals was a fluke where he played with 3rd line talent and only 15% of it on the PP. You can try to throw that under the rug all you want but that's not the issue with Domi. The issue is his commitment to playing D.

At the end of the day... the production from Domi and ROR from age 20-25 is similar with Domi having a bit better numbers. You want to take away that age 23 season... sure. Domi falls to ROR level at 0.58 pts/game vs his 0.67 pts/game. You are not bringing up good context there.

ROR was traded for two grade A prospects who were mid 1st round picks trending well in their draft +1 and +2 years of development. And also the 31st pick. That's 3 very solid futures. And some say Domi is not worth the 8th, 9th, or 10th pick who are 18 and under and you don't get to see the draft +1, +2 years?

The main point? Domi is worth more than what you see on HF boards and what you think. He is a very good offensive top 6 talent and you know it but you rather spend your energy being pessimistic
Like I said, Domi vs O'Reilly isn't the comparison you want to lean into if you're trying to peg Domi's value on the trade market. O'Reilly was a considerably better, more consistent, and more valuable player when he was traded to Buffalo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Like I said, Domi vs O'Reilly isn't the comparison you want to lean into if you're trying to peg Domi's value on the trade market. O'Reilly was a considerably better, more consistent, and more valuable player when he was traded to Buffalo.

ROR was not better than Domi from 20-25. It's close. ROR was more of a proven center though yes. But the point is this... No one trades legit top 6 talent at the age of 25 for cheap. You act like ROR at the age of 25 had zero flaws! If that was the case, the Avs would have kept him. You are guilty of pumping up ROR when he was 25 and deflating Domi today. I bet you think Domi is just some 40-50 pts forward :laugh:

Forget about ROR? Sure... Find another age 25 top 6 talent who had 0.6 - 0.7 pts/game from 20-25 development years who was traded before? You think of any other names? I bet if you think of one and they were traded for higher value, you avoid mentioning it :laugh:. Prove me wrong?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
ROR was not better than Domi from 20-25. It's close. ROR was more of a proven center though yes. But the point is this... No one trades legit top 6 talent at the age of 25 for cheap. You act like ROR at the age of 25 had zero flaws! If that was the case, the Avs would have kept him. You are guilty of pumping up ROR when he was 25 and deflating Domi today. I bet you think Domi is just some 40-50 pts forward :laugh:

Forget about ROR? Sure... Find another age 25 top 6 talent who had 0.6 - 0.7 pts/game from 20-25 development years who was traded before? You think of any other names? I bet if you think of one and they were traded for higher value, you avoid mentioning it :laugh:. Prove me wrong?
And now you're putting words into my mouth to put together another straw man. O'Reilly had (and has) flaws, including some pretty rich contract demands. If memory serves a contentious contract negotiation was largely what got him traded.

Beyond that I'll leave the hunt for comparables up to you. O'Reilly just isn't a good one.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
If a team has to many C's and lacks D's or wingers they will look to balance out the roster. I would be happy to keep Domi as he is a good young player. However, from all reports he wants to play center and not wing. Domi would be a good player to acquire but the other piece coming back needs to be good as well in the form of a winger or D. Get it?
Domi is so good Montreal went out and traded for him, then watched almost every player on their team out play him (why he plays in bottom 6 winger). Habs fans want offer to trade him in every thread ?!?! cause he's so good right?

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Many examples we can use or not use. And you just gave an example of a 28 year old that was traded for low value and burned the Sabres. What do they have to show for it? And BTW... There was a $7.5M bonus that had to be paid as well which lowered his trade value.

What about the ROR trade when he was 25? The trade from the Avs to the Sabres. You found something interesting here. ROR heading into his age 25 season was traded for two NHL ready prospects (Zadorov and Grigorenko) who were both trending well as the 12th and 16th picks in 12/13 drafts and the 31st pick in the 2015 draft. Domi has better numbers than ROR as a 25 year old. :naughty:

ROR (age 20-24): 0.58 pts/game
vs
Domi (age 20-24): 0.67 pts/game
Let's look at things that are important.

ROR wins before 24 -256 - playoffs 3
Domi wins before 24 - 169 - playoffs zero

ROR - has received Major trophy votes (selke, byng all star, hart, smythe) every year of his career with the exception of his rookie year.
Domi - 4 votes for calder

So no there is no comparison between at all between the two players. Domi doesnt even belong in the same sentence as ROR.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
And now you're putting words into my mouth to put together another straw man. O'Reilly had (and has) flaws, including some pretty rich contract demands. If memory serves a contentious contract negotiation was largely what got him traded.

Beyond that I'll leave the hunt for comparables up to you. O'Reilly just isn't a good one.

N0t worth arguing with that one - he lives in his own world.

As a Habs fan, I would say ROR was, is, and always will be a more valuable asset than Domi - he was one of the best two-way centers in the NHL, was extremely disciplined, and produced offensively at the same pace as Domi, who does uh... none of that stuff.

Reactions: BatVader and Bazeek

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

ROR - has received Major trophy votes (selke, byng all star, hart, smythe) every year of his career with the exception of his rookie year.

So no there is no comparison between at all between the two players. Domi doesnt even belong in the same sentence as ROR.

While I completely agree RoR is and was the better player than Domi. Your argument is nonsense. You can't go by total wins when domi played for Arizona they have to be one of if not the worst team since 2005.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
While I completely agree RoR is and was the better player than Domi. Your argument is nonsense. You can't go by total wins when domi played for Arizona they have to be one of if not the worst team since 2005.
Domi was willing to throw away a season by getting into a fight and breaking his hand. Not very disciplined.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

How is team success relevant to individual player comparison? Do you not remember how much ROR was getting dumped on for being a loser and a locker room cancer when he was in Buffalo because his team happened to suck ass? One year later when he has a great team around him he's a playoffs superhuman. Not that ROR hasn't been the better player in their careers, he's the far better player defensively and has much more of a track record playing centre than Domi but could you just stick to things that are relevant and not team wins and Lady Byng?

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
:facepalm: Comparing Domi to ROR...

I’m like Domi’s biggest fan on here and even I think it’s absurd to compare him to ROR lol.

The only thing in Domi’s favour in this debate is the fact that it was made public that ROR wanted out. Otherwise lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The playoffs is team accomplishments, not individual.

We are talking about age 20-24 with both of them and what ROR got in a trade. Domi has better production in this range. Do you want to post what he won in trophies in that age range cause using the entire career is not the conversation.

There is a comparison. It's much closer than you think. Do you actually remember ROR at 24? Doubt it

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You must be overlooking who ROR played for. Colorado in the early 2010s sucked worse than the coyotes in the mid 2010s. Then he went on to play for Buffalo...another terrible team....and then only to go to St Louis who was last place in the league before Christmas only to turn things around with ROR. (And he still got all those votes) Players like ROR make teams better which result in wins. Domi doesnt.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You must be overlooking who ROR played for. Colorado in the early 2010s sucked worse than the coyotes in the mid 2010s. Then he went on to play for Buffalo...another terrible team....and then only to go to St Louis who was last place in the league before Christmas only to turn things around with ROR. (And he still got all those votes) Players like ROR make teams better which result in wins. Domi doesnt.

Hmm, so when Domi is on a bad team it's proof against him but when ROR is on a bad team it's not. Seems about right.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Domi was willing to throw away a season by getting into a fight and breaking his hand. Not very disciplined.
that's exactly the player you want, He had the fire in him at that time and it all stopped after the Lemieux incident.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Domi is so good Montreal went out and traded for him, then watched almost every player on their team out play him (why he plays in bottom 6 winger). Habs fans want offer to trade him in every thread ?!?! cause he's so good right?
He played in the bottom 6 in the playoffs due to reports saying he was not going to play because of his health concerns (diabetes) and covid. When a player does not play for what 4 months and misses camp it is hard to get going after just 8+ games right in the playoffs of all things!!

Furthermore, the guy played with rookie trying find his stride/place (Suzuki) and guys like Byron most of the season, and still put up 44 points in 71 games. I am happy to keep him and he is a good player. Just hopefully he will play wing which reports say he wants to play center. Since we have a lot of centers we could trade a good piece to get a good piece back.

We don't want to trade him for scraps but an equal player at different position. So stop mistaking us just wanting get rid of him and trade him because we think he sucks as you keep implying with your comments.

We are aware to get a good player we need to give up a solid piece and that is what Montreal is willing to offer. No need bash and say we want trade him because he must not be very good.

Last edited:

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Alright so this idea went through my mind after someone mentioned the possibility of the Habs acquiring OEL. So I'm proposing a three-way deal the premises of which are as follows:
  • Montreal (still) needs an elite PMD for the left side who can play top pair minutes and run the PP
  • Minnesota (still) needs a scoring centre
  • Arizona needs to start over and the first step is to recoup the picks they lost
  • OEL is willing to waive his NMC to go to Montreal
The deal itself sees Montreal acquiring OEL, Minnesota acquiring Max Domi and Arizona acquiring a bunch of futures to kickstart their new rebuild:

:habs
Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($8.25M x 7)

:wild
Max Domi (RFA)

:coyotes2
Karl Alzner ($4.625M x 2)
Victor Mete (RFA)
Vladislav Firstov (unsigned college prospect)
MTL's 1st round pick in 2020 (#16)
MTL's 2nd round pick in 2020 (#47)
PIT's 1st round pick in 2021 (via MIN)
Conditional MTL's 1st round pick in 2021*

*Condition: Habs make it at least to the conference finals next year, if not then the Coyotes get MTL's 2nd round pick in 2021

Is everyone happy? Is anyone happy?

Way too much from MTL ... 2 1st a 2nd AND Domi... ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad