Proposal: MTL/ARI/MIN: OEL/Futures/Domi

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Alright so this idea went through my mind after someone mentioned the possibility of the Habs acquiring OEL. So I'm proposing a three-way deal the premises of which are as follows:
  • Montreal (still) needs an elite PMD for the left side who can play top pair minutes and run the PP
  • Minnesota (still) needs a scoring centre
  • Arizona needs to start over and the first step is to recoup the picks they lost
  • OEL is willing to waive his NMC to go to Montreal
The deal itself sees Montreal acquiring OEL, Minnesota acquiring Max Domi and Arizona acquiring a bunch of futures to kickstart their new rebuild:

:habs
Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($8.25M x 7)

:wild
Max Domi (RFA)

:coyotes2
Karl Alzner ($4.625M x 2)
Victor Mete (RFA)
Vladislav Firstov (unsigned college prospect)
MTL's 1st round pick in 2020 (#16)
MTL's 2nd round pick in 2020 (#47)
PIT's 1st round pick in 2021 (via MIN)
Conditional MTL's 1st round pick in 2021*

*Condition: Habs make it at least to the conference finals next year, if not then the Coyotes get MTL's 2nd round pick in 2021

Is everyone happy? Is anyone happy?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Domi won't extend with the Coyotes. Forget about that idea. Habs have to use other pieces like 1st round picks, Poehling, Harris, Kulak. And if I'm trading for OEL, Alzner is in the deal. Basically the idea is the Coyotes want to rid them selves of that contract like the Preds with Subban but the Habs would give the Coyotes a bit more than what the Preds got.

16th OA pick, Harris, Blues 2nd, Kulak
for
OEL
* 2021 1st (top 10 protection) included for Alzner. Has to be on the table or this falls through.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Domi won't extend with the Coyotes. Forget about that idea. Habs have to use other pieces like 1st round picks, Poehling, Harris, Kulak. And if I'm trading for OEL, Alzner is in the deal. Basically the idea is the Coyotes want to rid them selves of that contract like the Preds with Subban but the Habs would give the Coyotes a bit more than what the Preds got.

for
OEL
* 2021 1st (top 10 protection) included for Alzner. Has to be on the table or this falls through.

I think you should re-read the proposal.

No thanks from Minnesota. A 1st and Firstov for Domi is too much for the wrong guy.

Honestly just leave Minnesota out of this. Montreal has the assets necessary to get OEL without Minnesota.

That's alright, but a third team is necessary because Domi and Arizona is obviously not a fit. Thought Minnesota might be.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
So the Habs give up Domi, Mete, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick and yet another 1st or 2nd round pick for OEL? That's way too much.
I mean, yes but at the same time:

(6'2) OEL/Weber (6'4)
(6'3) Chiarot/Petry (6'3)
(6') Romanov/Edmundson (6'4)

That's a damn solid core

Reactions: FedorTyutin

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

That's alright, but a third team is necessary because Domi and Arizona is obviously not a fit. Thought Minnesota might be.

You can get OEL without Domi. Arizona needs draft picks and maybe a prospect. Montreal has those in spades.

Build something around the 1st, a "replacement" D, a prospect, and then add any other picks necessary.

Reactions: McJedi

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well thought out trade scenario. I just don’t believe Domi has this kind of value. Do Coyotes, a cash strapped team, want to take on a cap dump? Habs getting OEL will be better off though.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They can buy him out if/when necessary. No need to give up assets to send him to another team.

An Alzner buyout this summer would be very ineffective in terms of cap savings due to his signing bonus.

Edit: this fall, obviously, it's not summer anymore

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
An Alzner buyout this summer would be very ineffective in terms of cap savings due to his signing bonus.

Edit: this fall, obviously, it's not summer anymore
It's still summer through September 21st. ;)

Anyway, I still do not believe the cap saving versus just buying Alzner out are worth the assets being given up for OEL, especially at OEL's salary plus term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

My bad. Thought it was Domi going to the Coyotes.

So from the Habs perspective...
Domi, Alzner, Mete, 16th OA, 2021 1st
for
OEL

Not allowed conditionals anymore with the new CBA from what heard. I think we are overpaying for OEL. Especially if they want to move him like the Preds did with Subban. Alzner = 1st to get rid of so that would be the 2021 (top 10 protection). Then we are throwing in the 16th OA and Mete on top of Domi to get OEL who is on a monster contract and from 29-35? Not a bad attempt but I rather avoid Domi to the Coyotes or Wild and flip him to the Sabres for the 8th OA pick.

My interest in OEL is like this... it's about the Coyotes wanting to unload OEL like the Preds did with Subban. If they don't want to... move on and let them drown in cap hell.

for
OEL

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

for
OEL
The Preds had three top 4 defensemen (plus Fabbro on a ELC) cheaper than Subban and wanted to spend the money on Duchene. They needed to move him with no retention and take almost no salary back. (Santini had 2 years/1.4m and was a dump.)

Arizona’s defense has a lot of soon to be UFAs who can can be moved instead of OEL and they don’t have any long term defensemen signed other than him and Chychrun. I don’t know if they’re actually desperate to get rid of him in particular to the point that any half-hearted offer gets it done.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My bad. Thought it was Domi going to the Coyotes.

So from the Habs perspective...
Domi, Alzner, Mete, 16th OA, 2021 1st
for
OEL

Not allowed conditionals anymore with the new CBA from what heard. I think we are overpaying for OEL. Especially if they want to move him like the Preds did with Subban. Alzner = 1st to get rid of so that would be the 2021 (top 10 protection). Then we are throwing in the 16th OA and Mete on top of Domi to get OEL who is on a monster contract and from 29-35? Not a bad attempt but I rather avoid Domi to the Coyotes or Wild and flip him to the Sabres for the 8th OA pick.

My interest in OEL is like this... it's about the Coyotes wanting to unload OEL like the Preds did with Subban. If they don't want to... move on and let them drown in cap hell.

for
OEL

You're lecturing me on unrealistic trades and you think Domi could get the 8th overall pick? Come on, try to be less obvious :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Preds had three top 4 defensemen (plus Fabbro on a ELC) cheaper than Subban and wanted to spend the money on Duchene. They needed to move him with no retention and take almost no salary back. (Santini had 2 years/1.4m and was a dump.)

Arizona’s defense has a lot of soon to be UFAs who can can be moved instead of OEL and they don’t have any long term defensemen signed other than him and Chychrun. I don’t know if they’re actually desperate to get rid of him in particular to the point that any half-hearted offer gets it done.

OK... You want no salary back? Maybe Kulak as the biggest cap hit? I'd give you Kulak and a Subban return the Preds got. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Taking on that contract is risky. Interested but not desperate.

Best offer
16th OA, Kulak, Blues 2nd, Harris
for
OEL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're lecturing me on unrealistic trades and you think Domi could get the 8th overall pick? Come on, try to be less obvious :laugh:

Yes. Kapanen got the 15th so Domi is worth the 8th OA. Actually, Domi > 8th OA but if we were able to trade for OEL (Subban return), I would flip Domi for the 8th OA. Don't worry, we are not after Lundell. You can have him at 9

With your 9th OA, Brodin, or Dumba assets, can you find a previous deal where assets like that are traded for a potential top 2C who is age 25 and under? Try to justify it like I did with Domi/Kapanen.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes. Kapanen got the 15th so Domi is worth the 8th OA. Actually, Domi > 8th OA but if we were able to trade for OEL (Subban return), I would flip Domi for the 8th OA. Don't worry, we are not after Lundell. You can have him at 9

With your 9th OA, Brodin, or Dumba assets, can you find a previous deal where assets like that are traded for a potential top 2C who is age 25 and under? Try to justify it like I did with Domi/Kapanen.

Kapanen got the 15th and everyone agreed it was horrendous overpayment :laugh:

Be smarter than that.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Alright so this idea went through my mind after someone mentioned the possibility of the Habs acquiring OEL. So I'm proposing a three-way deal the premises of which are as follows:
  • Montreal (still) needs an elite PMD for the left side who can play top pair minutes and run the PP
  • Minnesota (still) needs a scoring centre
  • Arizona needs to start over and the first step is to recoup the picks they lost
  • OEL is willing to waive his NMC to go to Montreal
The deal itself sees Montreal acquiring OEL, Minnesota acquiring Max Domi and Arizona acquiring a bunch of futures to kickstart their new rebuild:

:habs
Oliver Ekman-Larsson ($8.25M x 7)

:wild
Max Domi (RFA)

:coyotes2
Karl Alzner ($4.625M x 2)
Victor Mete (RFA)
Vladislav Firstov (unsigned college prospect)
MTL's 1st round pick in 2020 (#16)
MTL's 2nd round pick in 2020 (#47)
PIT's 1st round pick in 2021 (via MIN)
Conditional MTL's 1st round pick in 2021*

*Condition: Habs make it at least to the conference finals next year, if not then the Coyotes get MTL's 2nd round pick in 2021

Is everyone happy? Is anyone happy?
too much from montreal. not happening

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kapanen got the 15th and everyone agreed it was horrendous overpayment :laugh:

Be smarter than that.

I don't believe it was horrendous over payment. There you go with your exaggeration to prove a dumb point again. "everyone". You can only speak for yourself. Kapanen < Domi but Kapanen is a good young top 9 talent at RW.

Domi > 8th OA

Can you justify 9th OA or Brodin or Dumba getting a proven #2C? Like a recent past trade? 2nd time I ask.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Minnesota isn't giving up a 1st round pick especially considering Pitts pick could become a lottery pick.

It has been made clear that building Minnesota Prospects pool is important to our gm.

Domi also isn't worth Minnesota or Pitts 1st round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad