Proposal: MTL/ARI/MIN: OEL/Futures/Domi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Minnesota isn't giving up a 1st round pick especially considering Pitts pick could become a lottery pick.

It has been made clear that building Minnesota Prospects pool is important to our gm.

Domi also isn't worth Minnesota or Pitts 1st round pick

Not asking the Wild to trade the 9th for Domi. I understand the circumstance of where the Wild are at. Sabres would probably do it to find talent to surround Eichel now vs later though. Circumstance matters.

The main point is the 9th OA, Brodin, or Dumba won't get you a better center than Domi. Disagree? Sure, give me some context of a past trade where assets like that were traded for a proven 2C age 25 and under?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
OK... You want no salary back? Maybe Kulak as the biggest cap hit? I'd give you Kulak and a Subban return the Preds got. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Taking on that contract is risky. Interested but not desperate.

Best offer
16th OA, Kulak, Blues 2nd, Harris
for
OEL

Montreal’s biggest strength here is they aren’t a budget team so they can’t be scared off by the fact that his mid-loaded deal starts paying him 10.5m
for 3 years in 2021. A wrinkle is Arizona already paid EOL a 4m bonus so he’s only making 4m in salary this season so there’s no pressing need to move him for budget reasons now since they paid half what they owe him already in a bonus. Then again, teams may be less interested later if he doesn’t have a good year and his salary is 10.5m a year.

Arizona has four defensemen who will be UFAs and Demers, Hammer and Goligoski all have trade value too, particularly at the TDL. OEL’s contract seems like something Arizona should definitely get out of but they don’t have to do it now. Your offer seems realistic though if Arizona took almost no salary back because, like Subban, it’s a huge contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal’s biggest strength here is they aren’t a budget team so they can’t be scared off by the fact that his mid-loaded deal starts paying him 10.5m
for 3 years in 2021. A wrinkle is Arizona already paid EOL a 4m bonus so he’s only making 4m in salary this season so there’s no pressing need to move him for budget reasons now since they paid half what they owe him already in a bonus. Then again, teams may be less interested later if he doesn’t have a good year and his salary is 10.5m a year.

Arizona has four defensemen who will be UFAs and Demers, Hammer and Goligoski all have trade value too, particularly at the TDL. OEL’s contract seems like something Arizona should definitely get out of but they don’t have to do it now. Your offer seems realistic though if Arizona took almost no salary back because, like Subban, it’s a huge contract.

From the Habs perspective, I've seen some say they don't want OEL and some say they do. I am interested if the price is low like Subban but we pay a bit more. If Alzner is not included, that's one less 1st.

I noticed the $4M bonus payment. But the Coyotes also still need to unload a lot to get down to budget territory still. Is their new owner willing to fork out more money again this year when the revenue will be not as high due to limited fans in the seats? Lots of rumors of teams wanting to shed contracts due to preferred budgets. I would assume the Coyotes are one of them?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Of course the Coyotes are looking to shed salary. Covid has hit the owners' multiple businesses very hard.

That said, they have 6 veterans (Stepan, Grabner, Goligoski, Hjalmarsson, Demers and Oesterle) on the last year of their contracts. That is $26 million freed up. All are likely available for picks or B prospects.

They do not need to trade OEL. It will be a hockey trade that changes the leadership / culture of the team. In other threads teams have been offering a combination of their 1st, a top 4 D and a prospect and a cap dump. That is the kind of return the Coyotes should be looking for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As a Coyotes fan, I'm ok with it. However the MTL prospect I'd target is Poehling.

Some Habs fans would do it and some won't. First thing to find out is what teams OEL is willing to waive his NMC for? Then go from there. Habs are interested in OEL but the idea is to give you futures only and a bit more than what the Preds got for Subban. 16th OA and Poehling could be on the table.

The 3 way deal in this proposal is too much for the Habs to give up IMO. OEL can be just fine from 29-35 or he could slip down to 30-40 pts and 10 or less goals which then becomes a bit of a problem contract as he gets closer to 35 the more you move forward. I would not even trade Domi straight up for OEL (in terms of value). Domi can be signed for $6.5M in his prime years while OEL is exiting his prime.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm down with it as a MN fan, though MN will need to lose some salary to make this trade happen. Can't just take on Domi's salary, and not send something out. Donato is a candidate, though he doesn't have much of a cap hit. If MTL doesn't want to lose this year's #16 pick, then take Alzner out of the deal. I can't see ARI being crazy about paying out his salary, with their budget...nvm, just noticed that the actual cash payout is quite a bit less than the cap hit, 6.5M vs 9.25M AAV.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm down with it as a MN fan, though MN will need to lose some salary to make this trade happen. Can't just take on Domi's salary, and not send something out. Donato is a candidate, though he doesn't have much of a cap hit. If MTL doesn't want to lose this year's #16 pick, then take Alzner out of the deal. I can't see ARI being crazy about paying out his salary, with their budget...nvm, just noticed that the actual cash payout is quite a bit less than the cap hit, 6.5M vs 9.25M AAV.

Domi doesn't even have a salary as of yet and we have over 13M in space. FYM we can't take it on?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If the Habs can get OEL without giving up Romanov, Struble, Harris or Norlinder go for it.

and I've called him Overrated Ekman-Larsson for a while. Teams will offer a lot, considering what Pietrangelo and Krug will get as UFAs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Domi doesn't even have a salary as of yet and we have over 13M in space. FYM we can't take it on?

We'd be fine for this year. The following year and going forward something would have to happen, but something is probably going to happen with the expansion draft anyway.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We'd be fine for this year. The following year and going forward something would have to happen, but something is probably going to happen with the expansion draft anyway.

We still don't even know his salary yet. I think we all know I'm fine not taking on Domi, but "fitting his salary" isn't really a concern.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I'd just take out the wild and just trade for oel. No need to add a third team.poehling I'd add he should have been added for ror but mb was an idiot saying no. We shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Sure .We will keep Alzner and our #16. That in my opinion is much better.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Without Brodin/Dumba(or by some miracle Parise) moved expansion is set for 4-4-1. Domi would be competing with Eriksson Ek for the 4th forward slot, with the other likely going to Seattle. Not interested in trading Pittsburgh's 1st(+) for that situation. If that 1st became our 2021 2nd + Greenway while getting Raanta as well I'd consider it, and figure out expansion later.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good point on the ED from MN's POV. There would be not much point in doing this if we are going 4+4. I can't see Guerin being enthused about gaining Domi but losing JEE.

Only way this makes sense is if MN moves one of Brodin/Dumba in a separate trade.

Maybe BG is playing chess while i am playing checkers, and is planning to keep both of those Dmen unless he gets exactly what he wants in a trade.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Sure .We will keep Alzner and our #16. That in my opinion is much better.

We can always do that but that would also mean a Stanley Cup is just a distant dream for this core. Whatever your stance is, we've been spinning our wheels for too long which is why this proposal exists.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We can always do that but that would also mean a Stanley Cup is just a distant dream for this core. Whatever your stance is, we've been spinning our wheels for too long which is why this proposal exists.

The habs can buyout alzner next year.
If they do hes gonna have a cap hit of 2M, and then a cap hit of 1 M.

No reason to trade alzner with a 1st round pick right now

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The habs can buyout alzner next year.
If they do hes gonna have a cap hit of 2M, and then a cap hit of 1 M.

No reason to trade alzner with a 1st round pick right now

I mean that's what is most likely going to happen. But the scenario I'm describing here is that we really go for it and Alzner in the books can't be a part of that.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Why would the wild want another third line LW, and give up a first round pick for that LW? Domi isn't playing C.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
If the Wild want to stick with Eric Staal as there number one center then thats fine. We can just take the Wild out of the trade and just trade for OEL straight up between the two teams. We really don't need a third team to make it work we have the picks and prospects to get it done plus we have the cap space.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Why would the wild want another third line LW, and give up a first round pick for that LW? Domi isn't playing C.
3rd line LW? Give your head a shake dude. Given it's Minnesota, he would Prob be Minny's best offensive player.

Ledge And Dairy

My bad. Thought it was Domi going to the Coyotes.

So from the Habs perspective...
Domi, Alzner, Mete, 16th OA, 2021 1st
for
OEL

Not allowed conditionals anymore with the new CBA from what heard. I think we are overpaying for OEL. Especially if they want to move him like the Preds did with Subban. Alzner = 1st to get rid of so that would be the 2021 (top 10 protection). Then we are throwing in the 16th OA and Mete on top of Domi to get OEL who is on a monster contract and from 29-35? Not a bad attempt but I rather avoid Domi to the Coyotes or Wild and flip him to the Sabres for the 8th OA pick.

My interest in OEL is like this... it's about the Coyotes wanting to unload OEL like the Preds did with Subban. If they don't want to... move on and let them drown in cap hell.

16th OA pick, Harris, Blues 2nd, Kulak
for
OEL
* 2021 1st (top 10 protection) included for Alzner. Has to be on the table or this falls through.
Conditions are still 100% allowed. Resign Conditions are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad