Proposal: MTL/ARI/MIN: OEL/Futures/Domi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:facepalm: Comparing Domi to ROR...

I’m like Domi’s biggest fan on here and even I think it’s absurd to compare him to ROR lol.

The only thing in Domi’s favour in this debate is the fact that it was made public that ROR wanted out. Otherwise lol.

Age 20-24 years. Some have a difficult time subtracting ROR years from 25 to today. Take a wild guess who has better stats from 20-24 years? Answer is not ROR.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One of the firsts is conditional on the Habs making a deep run with OEL.

You don't need to go that deep though. The idea is the Coyotes want futures and to unload the contract like the Preds did with Subban. You can offer more than the Devils did with Subban but not that much.

I'd offer this (top offer and starting high cause it's HF boards)..
- 16th OA pick
- One of Poehling for Harris
- 2021 1st (top 10 protection)
- Kulak or Mete (A small contract has to go the other way).

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You don't need to go that deep though. The idea is the Coyotes want futures and to unload the contract like the Preds did with Subban. You can offer more than the Devils did with Subban but not that much.

- 16th OA pick

I don't see the point of making this trade at all if we're not going to want to go deep in the postseason...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see the point of making this trade at all if we're not going to want to go deep in the postseason...

Why would we not want to go deep in the postseason? You lost me there. Coyotes are not going to care about if we make the playoffs or not. They likely want to get to a budge level and get futures to start another rebuild.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Why would we not want to go deep in the postseason? You lost me there. Coyotes are not going to care about if we make the playoffs or not. They likely want to get to a budge level and get futures to start another rebuild.

I mean, that's the condition in the pick. Were you not referring to that?

Anyway you don't think the Coyotes are getting enough salary cuts and futures in this deal?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean, that's the condition in the pick. Were you not referring to that?

Anyway you don't think the Coyotes are getting enough salary cuts and futures in this deal?

I am not sure the condition would fit what they are after.

- The salary cut is almost $7M. Good luck with getting that from any other team. OEL with a NMC so he's looking to play with a team on the rise or in the top half. Only reason why I see him waiving is to play with Weber or Petry. Subban didn't have that option to decide. Subban was left on his own with the Devils. Played with Vatanen I believe?

- Not enough futures? That's two first round picks and a grade B+ prospect. Substantially more than what the Preds got for Subban and he didn't limit things with a NMC

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I am not sure the condition would fit what they are after.

- The salary cut is almost $7M. Good luck with getting that from any other team. OEL with a NMC so he's looking to play with a team on the rise or in the top half. Only reason why I see him waiving is to play with Weber or Petry. Subban didn't have that option to decide. Subban was left on his own with the Devils. Played with Vatanen I believe?

- Not enough futures? That's two first round picks and a grade B+ prospect. Substantially more than what the Preds got for Subban and he didn't limit things with a NMC

1. The pick condition is not about the Coyotes obviously.

2. Subban was a plain ass dump by the Preds. He was a player on decline and they just wanted his cap hit out of the team so they could add Duchene. They just shipped him off to a team that was willing to take on his cap hit without sending any back. Wouldn't compare it to OEL who is, by all accounts, highly sought after.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sorry as much as I would like to get OEL that is a whole hell of a lot to give up to acquire him....come on dude Domi, Mete from the roster and then a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks...ouch.

Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1. The pick condition is not about the Coyotes obviously.

2. Subban was a plain ass dump by the Preds. He was a player on decline and they just wanted his cap hit out of the team so they could add Duchene. They just shipped him off to a team that was willing to take on his cap hit without sending any back. Wouldn't compare it to OEL who is, by all accounts, highly sought after.

1. I don't think a conditional pick is something of value. They will want to know what they get now.

2. Easy to say that about Subban in hindsight. You care to check out Subban's stats in the last year with the Preds vs OEL stats this past year? :sarcasm:

That was about unloading a contract and not taking salary back which limited the teams that could do it. It would be the same with OEL but he has a NMC which is more difficult to find a trade partner who has cap space, assets to spare, a need for a LD, and a team OEL wants to play with.

Easier said than done

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
1. I don't think a conditional pick is something of value. They will want to know what they get now.

What?

2. Easy to say that about Subban in hindsight. You care to check out Subban's stats in the last year with the Preds vs OEL stats this past year? :sarcasm:

That was about unloading a contract and not taking salary back which limited the teams that could do it. It would be the same with OEL but he has a NMC which is more difficult to find a trade partner who has cap space, assets to spare, a need for a LD, and a team OEL wants to play with.

Easier said than done

Reports are already telling there is interest in OEL from both Alberta teams. The Coyotes were playing terrible hockey as a team this year, no wonder their stats other than Kuemper aren't looking extraordinary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What?

Reports are already telling there is interest in OEL from both Alberta teams. The Coyotes were playing terrible hockey as a team this year, no wonder their stats other than Kuemper aren't looking extraordinary.

Those reports are funny. Flames need a RD, not a LD. How the hell are the Oilers going to pull that off? Coyotes looking to unload salary and the Oilers will say... can you take Neal? :laugh:.

Was it reported by Friedman? I bet you it was him! Biggest click bait trade rumor reporter in the business :laugh:. If you believe his BS... I question your hockey knowledge or you are extremely gullible

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Those reports are funny. Flames need a RD, not a LD. How the hell are the Oilers going to pull that off? Coyotes looking to unload salary and the Oilers will say... can you take Neal? :laugh:.

Was it reported by Friedman? I bet you it was him! Biggest click bait trade rumor reporter in the business :laugh:. If you believe his BS... I question your hockey knowledge or you are extremely gullible

Friedman is considered BS these days?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Friedman is considered BS these days?

How often is he right? Come on man. He's got a job to do and reporting click bait rumors is a specialty of his. Look into the Oilers and Flames for yourself. Flames already have two LD's signed and the Oilers don't have the cap space.

Both of them will try to send contracts the other way... like $4M+ of contracts. Coyotes trying to get to the $70M Budget and that $20M of bonuses they already paid is part of that budget. They got a lot of work to do to get to that budget level and moving OEL where they take a $4M+ contract back is likely not something they prefer

I'm not a fan of the tweeted reports. It's inaccurate 90% or more of the time. How the hell would Friedman know? One of the GM's called him to get him to leak the info? For what purpose? To create a smoke screen?

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
How often is he right? Come on man. He's got a job to do and reporting click bait rumors is a specialty of his. Look into the Oilers and Flames for yourself. Flames already have two LD's signed and the Oilers don't have the cap space.

Both of them will try to send contracts the other way... like $4M+ of contracts. Coyotes trying to get to the $70M Budget and that $20M of bonuses they already paid is part of that budget.

I'm not a fan of the tweeted reports. It's inaccurate 90% or more of the time. How the hell would Friedman know? One of the GM's called him to get him to leak the info? For what purpose? To create a smoke screen?

The point is OEL is still considered as a top defenseman and there's a lot of interest in him, whether or not any deals come into fruitition. Friedman still breaks a lot of trades and signings, he's got some legit sources.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

- 16th OA pick

I'd make an offer like this for a forward tbh. This team already has gazillion dollars tied up in goalies and defence [including bottom pairing dmen and backup goalies :facepalm]

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No I didn't.
Do you really believe that we would offer

Karl Alzner ($4.625M x 2)
Victor Mete (RFA)
MTL's 1st round pick in 2020 (#16)
MTL's 2nd round pick in 2020 (#47)
Conditional MTL's 1st round pick in 2021*
Domi
for
OEL.
Drugs are really bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd make an offer like this for a forward tbh. This team already has gazillion dollars tied up in goalies and defence [including bottom pairing dmen and backup goalies :facepalm]

The % difference on Goalies, Defense, and Forwards don't bother me. If it fits the cap it fits the cap. Timing of when contracts expire and ELC/Bridge deals is where the focus should be on. Habs needs are PP QB and scoring/size on wing. OEL fits our needs. You let other guys go (like Tatar and Byron) if you have to.

I've looked into how it looks with OEL with our cap. It's manageable. Especially when guys like Suzuki, Kotkanimi, Romanov, Caufield will be on ELC/Bridge deals in the next 3-5+ years. If Point, Laine, Kucherov, McAvoy can be bridge, so can our guys.

I rather pick up OEL vs Edmundson

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Do you really believe that we would offer

Karl Alzner ($4.625M x 2)
Victor Mete (RFA)
MTL's 1st round pick in 2020 (#16)
MTL's 2nd round pick in 2020 (#47)
Conditional MTL's 1st round pick in 2021*
Domi
for
OEL.
Drugs are really bad.

I don't really see how that is such a ludicrous overpayment for a legitimate top defenseman who would fill all the needs we have on the back end. But I guess not everyone is of the same opinion. Plus first round picks tend to get quite overrated on this site, they get tossed around for a lot lesser players than OEL.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
He played in the bottom 6 in the playoffs due to reports saying he was not going to play because of his health concerns (diabetes) and covid. When a player does not play for what 4 months and misses camp it is hard to get going after just 8+ games right in the playoffs of all things!!

Furthermore, the guy played with rookie trying find his stride/place (Suzuki) and guys like Byron most of the season, and still put up 44 points in 71 games. I am happy to keep him and he is a good player. Just hopefully he will play wing which reports say he wants to play center. Since we have a lot of centers we could trade a good piece to get a good piece back.

We don't want to trade him for scraps but an equal player at different position. So stop mistaking us just wanting get rid of him and trade him because we think he sucks as you keep implying with your comments.

We are aware to get a good player we need to give up a solid piece and that is what Montreal is willing to offer. No need bash and say we want trade him because he must not be very good.
JMO You'd have to add a better piece than domi to get dumba from minnesota

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
The % difference on Goalies, Defense, and Forwards don't bother me. If it fits the cap it fits the cap. Timing of when contracts expire and ELC/Bridge deals is where the focus should be on. Habs needs are PP QB and scoring/size on wing. OEL fits our needs. You let other guys go (like Tatar and Byron) if you have to.

I've looked into how it looks with OEL with our cap. It's manageable. Especially when guys like Suzuki, Kotkanimi, Romanov, Caufield will be on ELC/Bridge deals in the next 3-5+ years. If Point, Laine, Kucherov, McAvoy can be bridge, so can our guys.

I rather pick up OEL vs Edmundson
I understand but don't you think that our defence and goalies are ok and that our forward group is brutal and we desperately need help up front? So, why break the bank for another D?

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
PP QB issue. Got to prey Norlinder is that guy now
A forward can also QB the PP. Why pay the two goalies 15M if we have to surround them with a 30M defence corps? If our tendies are so much better than other teams', they should be able to play in front of a lesser D corps, don't you think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad