MT doesn´t like Lars Eller and it´s hurting the team in the process

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I think he will BECAUSE Chucky is back. He just needs to play with skilled forwards. Simple as that.

Galchenyuk was making things happen in spite of him last night before the juggle. Eller has "chicken with his head cutt off" syndrome too much. Doing too much.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Eller looks like crap recently, but like WTK said, I think he's trying to do too much to gain more icetime.

I don't know if it's worth breaking up the Desharnais line to get Eller going with the Gallys.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think Therrien needs to "not like Eller" in the press box as a wake up call. Eller has been downright brutal the last 6-7 weeks.

Briere is more deserving of offensive wingers than Eller right now.

What wake up call..
Scratch him and then make him play with Weise and Bourque again?? You expecting that line to produce after? You expecting any lines other than DD's one to produce much playing a grind game??

The whole team has regressed. This isn't a coincidence.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
He's trying to do too much, I saw him intercept passes for his own teammates last night that ruined the play.

He's gotta carry the puck in, chip it deep, grind along the boards and hit the open man. We desperately need to get some big bodied puck possession wingers for him and I think we'll have the makings of a good line.

I think he tries to do to much because he spends so much of his time with grinders. When he's playing with Moen/Prust he has to do it all himself. So he's picked up some bad habits in that regard. Hopefully some consistent time with talented wingers would help him shed those bad habits.

I also think he'd benefit most from a shoot early/often type player like Pacioretty/Gallagher/Gionta. Someone like Galchenyuk is always looking to pass first and that feeds into Eller's "tunnel-vision" mentality.

Seriously though... Eller has no one to blame but himself. He just doesn't have the same confidence he had last season. He really needs to step his game no matter who his line mates are. Ryan White is more noticeable than he is playing with Moen and Weise.

It's hard to keep your confidence up when the coach doesn't like/trust you.

Exactly. Said it already, at best we are looking at a solid 3rd line center, nothing more. Maybe he can chip in here and there when there is an injury but I don't think he can be a consistant top 6 player in this league

Reminds me of all the Kostitsyn love and let's keep waiting, he can be a 40-50 goal scorer.....

If we look at the last 3 years, his even strength scoring per 60 min is right around Desharnais's. The difference is Eller did that on the 3rd line with mostly grinders and no PP time Desharnais did it glued to the teams best goal scorers and a purely offensive role.

What's a consistent top-6 player for you and how consistent/productive are they when not given a top-6 role? It's baffling to me that people expect him to produce like a top-6 player when he's used as a defensive third liner. Only elite players can produce in that kind of role.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Eller hasn't been a healthy scratch yet either. Desharnais was, twice. Guess Eller's Therrien's favorite.

...Eller hasn't been a healthy scratch yet this year because he's still useful even if he's doing nothing offensively...Desharnais isn't useful at all if he isn't playing well offensively...that said, Eller's on his way to being scratched if he keeps up last night's terrible play...:(

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Stop blaming Therrien. Eller is just average at best. Very disappointed by him. And please no body make the excuse that he's been played with crappy players. He's really not showing anything to warrant more playing time and better linemates.

Every player on the team has regressed except for the goalies. Eller came back from a 30pt in 45ish game season. In the first 20ish games, he scored 13pts in 16gp when he played with Galy and Galla (Galla was on pace for 30+ goals). Then, an undeserving DD was given MaxPac and Gallagher and we became a 1 line team. Eller still produced at a .5 pace.
Galchenyuk returns yesterday, plays a few shifts with Eller, then is moved up with Plekanec.

But yes, it makes total sense to expect Eller to be motivated and fight for Therrien. Sure.

I'm not saying Eller is going to be a consistent top 2 center. But we are not using him properly and until we actually give him good linemates over a long stretch and use him as a 2nd center, we're never going to know.

habitue*

Eller doesn't help his cause by playing so poorly.

Show me your stuff young man, and you will get ice time and more offensive responsabilities.

He is the second most used center on the team. Lots of time to make a better impression.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Eller is a 3rd line centerman. He did good for a stretch, but thats it. Ian Bulis also scored 4 goals in a night and he was a 3rd liner.

Eller sucks terribly offensively.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Every player on the team has regressed except for the goalies. Eller came back from a 30pt in 45ish game season. In the first 20ish games, he scored 13pts in 16gp when he played with Galy and Galla (Galla was on pace for 30+ goals). Then, an undeserving DD was given MaxPac and Gallagher and we became a 1 line team. Eller still produced at a .5 pace.
Galchenyuk returns yesterday, plays a few shifts with Eller, then is moved up with Plekanec.

But yes, it makes total sense to expect Eller to be motivated and fight for Therrien. Sure.

I'm not saying Eller is going to be a consistent top 2 center. But we are not using him properly and until we actually give him good linemates over a long stretch and use him as a 2nd center, we're never going to know.

I laugh when I read things like:

Once Desharnais was given Pacioretty and Gallagher, we became a 1-line team.

In fact, before that, we already were a 1-line team, with that line being the Galchenyuk-Eller-gallagher line! Problem was, that line was seeing tough opposition from our opponents as the de facto #1 line and had been slowing down significantly when the move was made.

At that point, we were a 0=line team!

That said, now that Desharnais' confidence is back up, I'd consider reuniting the EGG line, just to see what it can do to help Eller.

However, I still suspect Eller won't be using Galchenyuk much and favouring Gallagher 99% of the time again.

We also need to find a player to go with Pacioretty and Desharnais who isn't named Brière.

With Prust and Bournival still out, that leaves only one real option and, perhaps, two if you go outside the box:

Bourque is the likelier option. Weise is the other, less conventional option.

How about Pacioretty-Desharnais-Eller or, even, Pacioretty-Eller-Desharnais? If Eller can't work with that, there'd have to be a serious problem, no?

It would allow, once Prust is back, a line of Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher, one that had success last season over a short stint….

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Show me your stuff young man, and you will vet ice time and more offensive responsabilities.

...unfortunately, that's not true; he won't get any more ice time or offensive responsibility as long as Therrien is behind the bench and Eller knows it...part of the reason he's regressed soo much lately...:cry:

habitue*

...unfortunately, that's not true; he won't get any more ice time or offensive responsibility as long as Therrien is behind the bench and Eller knows it...part of the reason he's regressed soo much lately...:cry:

No. Because he is a third line center behind two second line centers, Plekky and DD.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

He also, you know, doesn't deserve it with the way he's been playing.

For all the cries of "Desharnais didn't deserve it either", at least he had a 60 point season and a proven track record with Pacioretty that he could point to. Eller doesn't.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I think both Eller and MT are to blame and this is coming from an Eller fan. I don't like how MT treats Eller.. but Eller could be a lot better.

Eller seems completely lost and out of confidence. I don't know if MT met him but he seems like he's an outsider now.

But let's face it, the production is extremely low. Something like 4 pts in 30 games, that's not acceptable... other bottom 6 players have better production than him. but then again coach doesn't seem to give a **** about Eller and doesn't bother to find a solution to help Eller out.. btw.. have Therrien ever did anything to help Eller (putting Eller on Plekanec's wing does not count as helping Eller)?

Personally, I would put Gallagher back with Eller and Galchenyuk to revive that spark . Also Bourque and Desharnais seems to have not bad chemistry when Pacioretty went down last time so maybe a line of Pacioretty-DD-Bourque could also work.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Don't know why people would call him enigmatic either. Is it a blanket term that applies to all euros ? There's nothing enigmatic about going to the wrong places on the ice or not finding your teammates at the right time. It's questionable hockey sense.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
The real issue with Therrien is he hasn't benched Eller when he deserves it.

Benching Eller could wake him the F up. Remind him that intangible stuff isn't going to get him PP minutes.

Go a game without Eller and bring him back in, see if he shows hunger. Otherwise, see what kind of package you can add him to get a better player.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

Eller is playing like someone who wants to be traded. And I want him to be traded. So lets trade him! But guys Eller isnt useful anymore. In fact he plays like **** and hes stealing chuckys spot.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Show me your stuff young man, and you will vet ice time and more offensive responsabilities.

He is tye second most used center on the team. Lots of time to make a better impression.

He had 43 points in his last 63 games when Therrien decided Eller couldn't possible handle the 2nd line role and it should go to the guy who had 29 points in his last 67 games instead.

And if we go by the first time he Therrien broke up the EGG line then it was 36 pts in 45 games up to that point. What more could Eller have done to show his stuff? Therrien either dislikes or doesn't trust Eller and I can see what Eller had done up to that point to deserve that.

Sure he hasn't responded well since his demotion, but who does respond well to someone who overt favouritism against them.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He also, you know, doesn't deserve it with the way he's been playing.

For all the cries of "Desharnais didn't deserve it either", at least he had a 60 point season and a proven track record with Pacioretty that he could point to. Eller doesn't.

...correct; Eller's proven track record was with Gallagher last year and at the start of this year...look, I'm not saying Eller's play hasn't regressed, cuz it has, but Therrien's moronic usage of him is just as responsible for that and no matter what Eller does from now until the end, whether he continues to suck or he breaks out in a big way, Desharnais will still get the preferencial offensive treatment under Therrien, as he's already shown...Eller is going to be nothing more than a 3rd line centre under Therrien, that's true, but that isn't all on Eller...

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He had 43 points in his last 63 games when Therrien decided Eller couldn't possible handle the 2nd line role and it should go to the guy who had 29 points in his last 67 games instead.

And if we go by the first time he Therrien broke up the EGG line then it was 36 pts in 45 games up to that point. What more could Eller have done to show his stuff? Therrien either dislikes or doesn't trust Eller and I can see what Eller had done up to that point to deserve that.

Sure he hasn't responded well since his demotion, but who does respond well to someone who overt favouritism against them.

Aside from a blowout against the Islanders, Eller was stone cold while Galchenyuk and Gallagher were still playing well.

He also only originally moved Gallagher off. And Galchenyuk still played well. So Galchenyuk eventually got top six minutes with Plek and Gio instead.

Eller has been cold. Simply put. He put DD and Patches together for two games and they clicked again. It wasn't some demotion. It was line playing. Had Eller played great with his two games with Pacioretty, it never would have happened.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Stop blaming Therrien. Eller is just average at best. Very disappointed by him. And please no body make the excuse that he's been played with crappy players. He's really not showing anything to warrant more playing time and better linemates.

I think it's a bit of both. Eller has talent but no conficence. A good portion of that probably coming from Therrien and Habs failing to develop him properly. The other is because Eller just isn't as good as Hab fans say. But the biggest problem is Why isn't he good? Because of the development or because of the talent? I don't really know. This is precisely why I never liked the Halak trade and wanted the Habs to land a more developed player because the organization has no frigging idea how to develop top level forwards. They tried their best to ruin Max until he said something. It's hilarious.

Therrien is a clown, though. DD got every opportunity to get going when he was absolute ****. Completely mind****ing Eller and any of the other struggling players on the team. He's playing like poop and I can't blame him. Therrien is a trash coach.

Just trade him to a team that will know what to do with him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
he's playing like crap, he's rushing plays..the biggest problem right now. He's playing like someone desperate to score...it's affecting his defensive game too. He still back checks, but he's cheating in the defensive zone, trying to get the puck as fast as possible to go on the offense. Even when on the offense, he looks like a kid whose so excited to want to do something that he ****s up. Needs to calm down and get back to basics. In this aspect he's to blame.

I also noticed that he isn't as aggressive without the puck anymore. Last year and the year before he used to chase the puck carrier, get into passing lanes and try to force turnovers. This year, he just falls back into the neutral zone as soon as the puck changes possession.

Lastly, I can't even remember the last time his own linemate set him up for a chance. Bourque can't do much if he's not in possession of the puck when streaking through the neutral zone, it's the only time he's dangerous. Other than that, he's always second on the dump, kills cycle plays and is a turnover machine on the half wall.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
At the present moment, Habs offense is completely dead, if i remember correctly, the egg line was the best line at the beginning of the season by far but MT decided to separate this line to help David Desharnais to get out of his slump, deap slump and in fact it worked putting Gallagher to the Pacioretty-Desharnais line but now it´s the only offensive line that is working.

Lars Eller is in a deep slump at the present moment and MT doesn´t give a damn about it. What kills me is that Eller was one of the best offensive players of last year and i think he´s part of our future of this organization. Am i crazy to think that?

Now that small Desharnais is back on track, why not put back the Egg line back?
Why the Egg line back because at this rhythm, Gallagher is going to be injured doing the filthy job in front of the net to give space to Paciorretty, isn´t Gallagher one of our best sniper in this team?

Desharnais played 23min. yesterday ehhhhhhh why?

On 3 on 3 Galchenyuk didn´t play ehhhhhhh why?

Why didn´t Gallagher, Galchenyuk play in OT ehhhhhhh why?

The strange part is that Galchenyuk played 15 seconds shorthanded but 0 seconds in powerplay ehhhhhhh why?

Markov played 27 minutes in this game ehhhhhhh why?

Gionta, is he our future (20 minutes) ehhhhhhh why???

Give the same treatment that Desharnais had at the beginning of the season to Lars eller and you will see that we will have 2 offensive lines working and not only one like at the present moment.

I´m furious …

MT coached the team well last year but this year, he´s coaching like he doesn´t want to lose his job and this is to the expense of the team and young players that we have.

Bull-****-ometer on stun. My boss does not like me that's why I'm a failure. Crap stupid thread, with zero evidence and proof. EMO. Go back to Facebook or whatever. T O TA L
F A I L.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Bull-****-ometer on stun. My boss does not like me that's why I'm a failure. Crap stupid thread, with zero evidence and proof. EMO. Go back to Facebook or whatever. T O TA L
F A I L.

How about. My boss doesn't like me so he refuses to put me in situations where I can excel. He has no idea how to coach me or anyone else. However, my colleague who does jack **** was promoted to supervisor after a bad yearly review?

If Eller is supposed to be one of your top young players in the franchise then you need to do everything possible to put him in the best situation to excel. Habs fail at this time and time again. If he's getting big minutes and opportunities and still failing then you have every right to move him.

Give him some PP time. The PP is ass. Why not give Lars a shot? Stuff like this is baffling.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Did Desharnais' 1 point 21 games into the warrant a promotion when that happen? If anything, Desharnais is the proof that expecting to work your way up with lower minutes bad linemates and no PP time isn't reasonable expectations when the team is so awful skill wise.

We all know Eller will never get that same opportunity so hopefully the trade return for him is a bit better than Weise, Drewiske, or Briere.

I have never seen a Habs team with so many old, broken or underachieving forwards. Ever.

If Bournival is your biggest breakout, you have a problem. Every other Habs forward has stagnated or worsened. It is unbelievable.

Age of course is the main problem, and I have been saying this for a year now. Which is why you hope the young guys like Eller step in.

He has not.

Therrien, and MB should also take some responsibility for this of course. MB should have known this team was too old.

And: Given that he is young, big, fast and strong: The winner for the biggest disappointment on the Habs this year goes to: Eller!

I am super disappointed with him this year. It is a huge problem that he has not taken the next step. It is really hurting this team.

With Eller's bust, with no doubt, I now cannot stand the Habs top 9. Chuckie the only exception, and the kid is 20 years old. Eller was the last straw.

Bergy has to do something about the top 9 forwards on this team. Habs are majorly ****ing **** at forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad