Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
There have been rumours on podcasts, his camp could be asking for 14.
giphy (11).gif

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Scotty Bowman is the only coach not born in the 1800s to win the cup with more than one team. I don‘t think Chief will be the next one.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
That's a good point, you got me there. None.

With that being said, I'd also like to know his extension demands because there's no way he can demand much, if anything more than he's already getting compensated based on his playoff performances. Although Matthews got a decent raise for also not contributing much in the playoffs.
Marner situation is kinda tricky because everyone sees the potential and it's hard to want to give up on it, but after 8 years it's like how much longer can this go on for ?

On 1 hand you have the option of letting this year go by, let JT expire and rebuild around Matthews/Nylander/Marner, and use the JT 11M to round out the roster

On the other hand you can re-tool around Matthews/Nylander and potentially trade Marner to round out the roster and bring back Tavares on a cheap deal or let him go as well and use the 22M free

It's a difficult choice but for me, having seen the last 8 years and how poorly he competes in the playoffs I don't think there's any way he can be a part of this teams future. When one of the "leaders" of the team that wear a letter compete like that, it's a problem.

He just has a poor attitude and has shown now for 8 years that he's afraid to compete and do what it takes to win in the playoffs. He would do better on a team as the #3 or #4 guy, it's in the best interest of both parties to go their separate ways.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Marner situation is kinda tricky because everyone sees the potential and it's hard to want to give up on it, but after 8 years it's like how much longer can this go on for ?

On 1 hand you have the option of letting this year go by, let JT expire and rebuild around Matthews/Nylander/Marner, and use the JT 11M to round out the roster

On the other hand you can re-tool around Matthews/Nylander and potentially trade Marner to round out the roster and bring back Tavares on a cheap deal or let him go as well and use the 22M free

It's a difficult choice but for me, having seen the last 8 years and how poorly he competes in the playoffs I don't think there's any way he can be a part of this teams future. When one of the "leaders" of the team that wear a letter compete like that, it's a problem.

He just has a poor attitude and has shown now for 8 years that he's afraid to compete and do what it takes to win in the playoffs. He would do better on a team as the #3 or #4 guy, it's in the best interest of both parties to go their separate ways.
I'm with you. I totally see both sides. If we move on from him, I understand, if we double down, let JT walk and move forward with Matthews, Marner, and Willy, I understand too. I won't be surprised with either scenarios and I won't be disappointed which one we take. I'm mostly concerned about our goaltending tbh.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
They do, and I think the only one who will realistically move is Marner

Of course Mitch can invoke his NMC and stay, most of the insiders haven't been leaning one way or the other on whether he's willing to move at this point. With that being said, if the Leafs go to Mitch and ask him to waive and he says no, that can quickly become a toxic environment I'm not sure MM16 would want to be a part of. Especially if it ends up getting leaked and fans figure out he nixed a chance to move on

AM34/WN88 will not be moved, and I don't think Tavares will waive his NMC with his family being settled here
Berube can easily just throw Marner in the press box and tell him that he'll stay there until he either provides a list of teams he'll go to, or starts acting like a man on and off the ice.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Should have gone with Gallant or even Guy Boucher IMO. They need an immediate 180° in chemistry and execution for quick results in the next season or two more than they need a stable 'head coach' 5 years from now.

Babcock 2.0

Meh... I can do without the 1-3-1. Not like it's worked wonders for LA in the playoffs.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Worst kept secret in sports

Tampering? Teams (Ottawa) need argue on bad faith negotiations here. Sets a bad precedent for both the league and the coaches guild. Rumors where that Berube was eyeing another position weeks before the Leafs had lost to the Bruins and fired Keefe. Can a team really enter 'negotiations' with a free agent coach when their current one is pouring his heart and soul into keeping the team alive (and generating revenue)?

Seems suspect IMO. Like Shannahann and co. knew what was comming and tried to hide the body. Shady, shady stuff

• Haha
Reactions: Mickey Marner

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
For those that don't like this hire, who would you rather the Leafs did hire?

Personally, I think that Berube would've been great for the Sabres, rather than the Leafs.
I wanted Toronto to aggressively pursue Brind’Amour. He likely re-signs in Carolina but the Leafs probably could have offered him a number they couldn’t have matched.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Wonder if Leafland will slowly go back into the idea that now they have their guy and can run it back. Like a different coach will actually help them play tougher haha

The problem has not been playing tougher and I'm actually going nuts seeing this over and over

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Tampering? Teams (Ottawa) need argue on bad faith negotiations here. Sets a bad precedent for both the league and the coaches guild. Rumors where that Berube was eyeing another position weeks before the Leafs had lost to the Bruins and fired Keefe. Can a team really enter 'negotiations' with a free agent coach when their current one is pouring his heart and soul into keeping the team alive (and generating revenue)?

Seems suspect IMO. Like Shannahann and co. knew what was comming and tried to hide the body. Shady, shady stuff
Of course they can, Keefe was their employee not a spouse. They're only obligated to pay his salary.

And "argue on bad faith negotiations" ? People are also free to interview for jobs they have no intention of taking lol. What country are you from.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wanted Toronto to aggressively pursue Brind’Amour. He likely re-signs in Carolina but the Leafs probably could have offered him a number they couldn’t have matched.
I agree. I think that he a really good combo of old school toughness, and new school being able to relate to players. Perhaps some feelers were put out, and he wasn't interested, leaving the Leafs with the feeling that they had to lock up Berube before he also got taken.

I like Berube, but don't know how it's going to work in Toronto for him. I tend to think it's more of a roster composition problem there than coaching, and there isn't much he can do about that.

Reactions: cyris

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
It's Friedman. Put out statement wrapped in weird verbiage, then hedge a couple times, and click post.

Berube = TML coach
"Nothing is finalized"
"Nothing is done until it is done"

He really should run for Parliament. Say everything without saying anything :laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Can't help but wonder if this increases the chances of Edmudson staying given that Berube knows him.

I also wonder if he targets other former players of his, like Paraykp, Binnington and Buch.

Rumours are Marc Savard is joining him.

• Haha
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

That would be pretty on brand for the sens to complain about this 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad