Confirmed with Link: Mrazek re-signs for 2 years @ $4.25M AAV

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Goalies don't get a lot at the deadline. Lehner and Fleury were as good as Mrazek or better here and had better name recognition, yet only got 2nds.

And do you really want the team to take a chance on having Soderblom their starter not just the rest of this year, but next year as well?
A tanking team starting bad goaltenders is not taking a chance. Start Soderblom and Halak/Raanta/Dell/Wells/Driedger or whoever you trade for gives you a 3rd stringer for 20 games the rest of the year. The goal is to lose hockey games and collect assets to build toward the future.

Mrazek was great for the Wings and Hurricanes. The Kings need a goalie. The Oilers need a goalie. The Flyers now need a goalie. The Leafs need a goalie. The Devils need a goalie. The Avs need a goalie. The two goalie system is new the demand for goalies goes up.

You could also resign Mrazek in the offseason for the same price most likely.

*I understand the rational for keeping him and I am fine with it*

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
A tanking team starting bad goaltenders is not taking a chance. Start Soderblom and Halak/Raanta/Dell/Wells/Driedger or whoever you trade for gives you a 3rd stringer for 20 games the rest of the year. The goal is to lose hockey games and collect assets to build toward the future.

Mrazek was great for the Wings and Hurricanes. The Kings need a goalie. The Oilers need a goalie. The Flyers now need a goalie. The Leafs need a goalie. The Devils need a goalie. The Avs need a goalie. The two goalie system is new the demand for goalies goes up.

Kings don't need a goalie and have no cap space
Oilers don't need a goalie and have no cap space
Flyers aren't trading assets, they are closer to rebuilding than competing
Leafs aren't trading for Mrazek when they just had him and have no cap space
The Devils have no cap space
The Avs have no cap space and no 2nd round picks the next 2 years

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I mean cmon.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Having arguably the worst goaltending in the league has a negative effect on kids.

You think Bedard won't take it hard that his team gives up 5 goals a game and loses even though he had a multipoint game? How about how Vlasic and Korchinski feel when every slight misread ends up in the back of their net because their goalie can't ever bail them out?

Mrazek, so far this year, has been a pretty decent goalie for us. Good enough not to ruin the team's spirits, not good enough to keep us out of a top 5 pick.

And it's not like there are guys of his caliber that'll hit free agency this year, let alone be willing to sign for only two years.

Reactions: luiginb and Giovi

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Having arguably the worst goaltending in the league has a negative effect on kids.

You think Bedard won't take it hard that his team gives up 5 goals a game and loses even though he had a multipoint game? How about how Vlasic and Korchinski feel when every slight misread ends up in the back of their net because their goalie can't ever bail them out?

Mrazek, so far this year, has been a pretty decent goalie for us. Good enough not to ruin the team's spirits, not good enough to keep us out of a top 5 pick.

And it's not like there are guys of his caliber that'll hit free agency this year, let alone be willing to sign for only two years.
Literally Mrazek. Hes not going to get that number anywhere else thats why he signed. Its 20 games of play you are talking about the players feelings.

Cam Talbot is 36 he would take two years. Nedeljakovic will take the highest bidder. Kahkonen is going to take the money. Wedgewood. Driedger.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Literally Mrazek. Hes not going to get that number anywhere else thats why he signed. Its 20 games of play you are talking about the players feelings.

Cam Talbot is 36 he would take two years. Nedeljakovic will take the highest bidder. Kahkonen is going to take the money. Wedgewood. Driedger.
But you think based on those 20 games of play Mrazek can get a good draft pick?

There's phases, people being mad they're not OnLY doing all capdumps was last off-season foolish complaints too. You cannot continually only do that. You want, especially the plethora of young dmen to have some stability.

You're suggestion is just add a 36 year old, who maybe doesn't want to come here... it's all based on best bet hypothetical vs taking a solid stable thing.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
But you think based on those 20 games of play Mrazek can get a good draft pick?

There's phases, people being mad they're not OnLY doing all capdumps was last off-season foolish complaints too. You cannot continually only do that. You want, especially the plethora of young dmen to have some stability.

You're suggestion is just add a 36 year old, who maybe doesn't want to come here... it's all based on best bet hypothetical vs taking a solid stable thing.
just seeing you edited.

Yes, it has to be based on a hypothetical. The reality is he signed. If you were to have an opposing view it has to be hypothetical.

Mrazek playing as well as he has this year (solid stable) in 2024-2025 and 2025-26 is also a hypothetical.

Also I am not mad. I understand the decision. I just dont know how others cant see that the other option isnt a bad one. Especially because one outcome is you can be in the exact same position game 1 next year with an extra asset.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
4 Mill for this garbage goalie cool, the Stan era continues, this team isn’t winning a cup anytime soon, maybe in 10 years what do you guys think? He’s literally pissing 2 year away with all these garbage inflated signings…
Thanks for your thoughts.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
The other thing is that the Hawks have a ton of draft picks and only so many contracts.

They might feel done accumulating assets that aren't 1st rounders, this isn't like Baseball.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
He could also have been signed to go in a trade. If teams do coming calling for him and offer anything substantial, you trade him. Other goalies of his calibre can be had pretty easily.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The large majority in here agree this is a good and worthwhile 2 year investment. The few that vehemently disagree always moan at every single move made so what’s new

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
A rebuilding team with an ass-load of cap, the prior year's 1OA and arguably largest prospect pool in the league - signs a middling goaltender at $4.25/m per to bridge the gap til they're remotely competitive..

..and some are butthurt about that? Yikes.

Reactions: Crow

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
This extension makes the most sense of the three and I'm glad he wasn't traded. I thought he should have been the priority and let the other two play out the year.

He's a vet used to seeing learning and confused d in front of him and I can't imagine how much that will help the young d and even the forwards. I don't see a downside with the continuity in net with the prospects a long way off.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
just seeing you edited.

Yes, it has to be based on a hypothetical. The reality is he signed. If you were to have an opposing view it has to be hypothetical.

Mrazek playing as well as he has this year (solid stable) in 2024-2025 and 2025-26 is also a hypothetical.

Also I am not mad. I understand the decision. I just dont know how others cant see that the other option isnt a bad one. Especially because one outcome is you can be in the exact same position game 1 next year with an extra asset.
I agree with you. Feels weird that we aren't going to accrue any assets at the trade deadline and I've been underwhelemed with KD's desire/ability to weaponize his cap space. I know it takes two to tango, but stilll. As if trading away Mrazek would impact Bedard's desire to play here lol.

In the grand scheme of thing, not a huge deal. People saying that we get a 3rd MAX for Mrazek, you guys have speed dial to NHL GMs phones? Why not at least wait til the deadline and see which teams start sweating a bit.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I agree with you. Feels weird that we aren't going to accrue any assets at the trade deadline and I've been underwhelemed with KD's desire/ability to weaponize his cap space. I know it takes two to tango, but stilll. As if trading away Mrazek would impact Bedard's desire to play here lol.

In the grand scheme of thing, not a huge deal. People saying that we get a 3rd MAX for Mrazek, you guys have speed dial to NHL GMs phones? Why not at least wait til the deadline and see which teams start sweating a bit.
Because its simple to oppertate in reality. Based on clear trends and track records.

And the 1st part... what do you mean they won't get assests, they still have other pieces that may be of desire to some teams.

There was people complaining of lack of asset deals last offseason despite there being really just 1 another team did. Do hou think the Oilers are offering Jack Campbell for a 1st and Broberg & Davidson is saying no deal? Would you be happy if they took on Jack Campbell for a 3rd round pick? The cap dump sellers aren't desperate enough

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Kings- David Rittich is on Emergency loan and Copely injured and playing terribly. They have 2.4 million deadline space (50% of Mrazek is 1.9). 2nds in 2025 and 2026 and a good prospect pool and young players in the NHL.

Oilers- Surging . 687k in deadline cap space. We can take on Cambell for a haul and Mrazek can fit or take one underwelming contract to make him fit at 50% depending on the return. They have a 2024 and 2026 2nd. They are looking to win now.

Flyers-Sitting 3rd in the Metro by a slim margin. Lost their number 1 goalie for the year. Plenty of capspace by sending Petersen or Ersson down and 5 seconds in the next 3 years.

Leafs-probly worst option best but can trade out Reaves and send over Jones and make the cap work. Few interesting prospects.

Devils-They just popped up with 6.7 million deadline space and more on the way once Hughes is retroactively LTIRed . They have 2nds in 2025 2026. They have Daws and Shmid on expiring contracts. They have the 2nd best prospect pool in the NHL.

Avs- Francouz hurt for the season. Georgiev playing a huge load. Cup aspirations. Space to add at the deadline can send over Prosvetov to finish the year here. 2026 2nd. a couple interesting prospects.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kings- David Rittich is on Emergency loan and Copely injured and playing terribly. They have 2.4 million deadline space (50% of Mrazek is 1.9). 2nds in 2025 and 2026 and a good prospect pool and young players in the NHL.

Oilers- Surging . 687k in deadline cap space. We can take on Cambell for a haul and Mrazek can fit or take one underwelming contract to make him fit at 50% depending on the return. They have a 2024 and 2026 2nd. They are looking to win now.

Flyers-Sitting 3rd in the Metro by a slim margin. Lost their number 1 goalie for the year. Plenty of capspace by sending Petersen or Ersson down and 5 seconds in the next 3 years.

Leafs-probly worst option best but can trade out Reaves and send over Jones and make the cap work. Few interesting prospects.

Devils-They just popped up with 6.7 million deadline space and more on the way once Hughes is retroactively LTIRed . They have 2nds in 2025 2026. They have Daws and Shmid on expiring contracts. They have the 2nd best prospect pool in the NHL.

Avs- Francouz hurt for the season. Georgiev playing a huge load. Cup aspirations. Space to add at the deadline can send over Prosvetov to finish the year here. 2026 2nd. a couple interesting prospects.
LA has Cam Talbot
Oilers have Skinner
Flyers aren't trading assets as a rebuilding team, regardless of where they are in the standings
Leafs aren't doing Mrazek 2.0, they had him already
Devils, maybe an option, but they probably believe in Vanecek over Mrazek
Avs have Georgiev

No one's trading a 2nd for him to be a backup goalie.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
No one's trading a 2nd for him to be a backup goalie.
Your right.

Flyers number 1
Devils number 1
Oilers 1A or 1B with Skinner
Kings 1A or 1B with Talbot
Avs 1A or 1B with Georgiev
Leafs 1A or 1B with Samsonov

I didnt mention the Hurricanes who he would be the number 1 for with plenty of cap and 4 2nds in the next two years.

You just have to look.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Your right.

Flyers number 1
Devils number 1
Oilers 1A or 1B with Skinner
Kings 1A or 1B with Talbot
Avs 1A or 1B with Georgiev
Leafs 1A or 1B with Samsonov

I didnt mention the Hurricanes who he would be the number 1 for with plenty of cap and 4 2nds in the next two years.

You just have to look.
Hurricanes aren't bringing Mrazek back, and they have Freddie Andersen coming back soon. Devils aren't even a playoff team, but they'll be buyers? doubt it. Flyers aren't trading assets as a rebuilding team, don't care where they are in the standings. Ersson has also been great for them.

And those teams aren't trading a legit asset just to have goalie insurance.

Last edited:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Hurricanes aren't bringing Mrazek back.

And those teams aren't trading a legit asset just to have goalie insurance.
Why not? Mrazek had three very good seasons for them. .914 .905 and .923. Left in free agency and signed with the leafs.

Why would you say that? Wild did it 2 years ago with Gustavsson and Fluery for a 2nd. Dallas brought in Wedgewood for backup goalie for Oettinger for a 3rd. Rittich to the leafs and Dubnyk to the Avs in 2021 and on and on.

We were part of the Lehner trade to Vegas for Subban and a 2nd. Jack Campbell to the leafs from LA.

Doctor Hawkaholic knows Freddy Andersen coming back soon from blood clots. Freidmen says that could not be the case.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad