Speculation: Moving Schmaltz at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
On the topic of selling low/high (yes, I'm derailing my own thread)

Saad has been playing like a machine. If he keeps it up his value will be pretty good. Do you think we should sell him at the deadline? Obviously we could keep him but you run the risk of his good performance being temporary. Just a thought.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Saad has been playing like a machine. If he keeps it up his value will be pretty good. Do you think we should sell him at the deadline? Obviously we could keep him but you run the risk of his good performance being temporary. Just a thought.
only if the team is in a complete rebuild. other than that, this is why the team went out and traded for him.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

There are zero untouchables with the Blackhawks roster. If some team practically bribes Stan with an offer he can't refuse sort of deal he needs to pull the trigger.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I do like the idea of schmaltz being the hawks Burakovsky. I think wise could what the hawks thought Schmaltz would be. And its not like schmaltz still cant reach his potential, the jury is still out.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Only scenario in which I am in favor of moving young and cheap talent is if it was part of a trade to move an older, expensive player, ie Seabrook. Other than that, Hawks should not be in the business of giving away young talent, just because they do not hit the ground running. Some players take a while to come into their games.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I do like the idea of schmaltz being the hawks Burakovsky. I think wise could what the hawks thought Schmaltz would be. And its not like schmaltz still cant reach his potential, the jury is still out.
Yeah I think Jake Wise ends up being the 2C that many were expecting Schmaltz to be. Schmaltz can be 3C with Barratt as 4C. Problem is there's still no 1C replacement. A center is going to be a key grab in this draft. Even without winning 1st overall, Dach, Suzuki, and Newhook are all possibilities that the Hawks could grab as a future 1C.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Yeah I think Jake Wise ends up being the 2C that many were expecting Schmaltz to be. Schmaltz can be 3C with Barratt as 4C. Problem is there's still no 1C replacement. A center is going to be a key grab in this draft. Even without winning 1st overall, Dach, Suzuki, and Newhook are all possibilities that the Hawks could grab as a future 1C.
Yup. Good thing this draft is loaded with forwards

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
There are zero untouchables with the Blackhawks roster. If some team practically bribes Stan with an offer he can't refuse sort of deal he needs to pull the trigger.

Ya, pretty much this. For guys like Jokiharju, it would need to be an insane offer, but like you said even he’s not untouchable.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You don't sell a young center when you're retooling. Keep him and develop him further. It's crazy to consider moving a 22 year old play-making center just cause he's deferring too much at a young age.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You don't sell a young center when you're retooling. Keep him and develop him further. It's crazy to consider moving a 22 year old play-making center just cause he's deferring too much at a young age.
Mostly the problem with Schmaltz is he looks like he's regressing. Started well and then took a nosedive. Whereas someone like Strome started poorly and is now improving and trending upward.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Mostly the problem with Schmaltz is he looks like he's regressing. Started well and then took a nosedive. Whereas someone like Strome started poorly and is now improving and trending upward.

He has not improved at all. His playing time is actually getting lower since the start of the weekend. Why? He can't skate well enough for where the NHL is going. Why the focus on him?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He has not improved at all. His playing time is actually getting lower since the start of the weekend. Why? He can't skate well enough for where the NHL is going. Why the focus on him?
The focus comes from the fact that Arizona might move him and this would be a good destination for him.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
And what about his skating? It is just not good enough.
I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I think every year he looks a bit quicker and he's probably a year or two away from breaking out.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. I think every year he looks a bit quicker and he's probably a year or two away from breaking out.

I mean it is not good (I watch the Coyotes when I can) and you can’t really improve skating that much at this point in a players progression. Some players are just not good skaters.

Schmaltz for Strome would be a HUGE L for the Hawks.

Mar 14, 2017
Honestly I would trade Schmaltz for Strome 1-for-1.

Saad-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Sikura
Kampf-Anisimov-Kahun
Ejdsell-Kruger-Hayden

Let the kids play, have them figure **** out while we lose for Hughes. Then we run next season with Toews, Hughes, Strome, Barratt down the middle.

Have you seen Strome play? The kids trash, his skating is horrific.

Reactions: Pez68

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Unless he picks it up,Schmaltz has a low trade value now ...best we could get is maybe a 2nd... A team would need to believe he actually still has talent to produce points ...that he is more than just some flashes of special ability but will emerge to be a consistent top 2 line..performer at the NHL level.

But if they use this season to date production and the eye test of his shying from physical contact and plays ending in nada ..and his coverage problems in the d-zone,then selling him off only gets back a low trade value...no one will give us a first for this kind of mess.

The irony is that if he does play better ;maybe they change their minds and do not trade him..but they must be sure he would sign a low bridge deal till he proves over 2 or 3 more years he is worth extending long term for bigger bucks.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Unless he picks it up,Schmaltz has a low trade value now ...best we could get is maybe a 2nd... A team would need to believe he actually still has talent to produce points ...that he is more than just some flashes of special ability but will emerge to be a consistent top 2 line..performer at the NHL level.

But if they use this season to date production and the eye test of his shying from physical contact and plays ending in nada ..and his coverage problems in the d-zone,then selling him off only gets back a low trade value...no one will give us a first for this kind of mess.

The irony is that if he does play better ;maybe they change their minds and do not trade him..but they must be sure he would sign a low bridge deal till he proves over 2 or 3 more years he is worth extending long term for bigger bucks.

Can't give him away and I disagree about the current value of Schmaltz.... but if you think his value is low now, it will be even lower if he doesn't turn it around this season. If your theory is right, I reckon Stan should sit on his hands.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
The Hawks shouldn't do anything with Schmaltz right now besides offer him a 4-year 16 million contract. You don't ever trade trade low on players unless you are just trying to dump salary (Anisimov). What are the odds that his upcoming RFA status is weighing on him and affecting his play? We all know that his start has cost him millions of dollars. I know it would definitely weigh on my mind.

And the earlier talk in this thread about trading Schmaltz for Nylander is laughable. How many of you guys watch Toronto? They have so much offensive talent. The last thing they are going to do is trade Nylander for a finesse, pass-first, second line center when they have Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri down the middle with a supreme playmaking winger in Marner. Marner reminds me so much of Patrick Kane. If/when they trade Nylander it will be for a dman or for futures because the way it is looking, Marner is easily getting Draisaitl money and Matthews is getting north of $10 per..

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Hawks shouldn't do anything with Schmaltz right now besides offer him a 4-year 16 million contract. You don't trade ever trade low on players unless you are just trying to dump salary (Anisimov). What are the odds that his upcoming RFA status is weighing on him and affecting his play? We all know that his start has cost him millions of dollars. I know it would definitely weigh on my mind.

And the earlier talk in this thread about trading Schmaltz for Nylander is laughable. How many of you guys watch Toronto? They have so much offensive talent. The last thing they are going to do is trade Nylander for a finesse, pass-first, second line center when they have Matthews, Tavares, and Kadri down the middle with a supreme playmaking winger in Marner. Marner reminds me so much of Patrick Kane. If/when they trade Nylander it will be for a dman or for futures because the way it is looking, Marner is easily getting Draisaitl money and Matthews is getting north of $10 per..
ref to salary - 4 yrs, i just don't know. but i can see a 3yr - a little over 4 mil per.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
there was a ref of no PF on the Bhawks with ref to somewhat protect the elite stars or something like that. the teams has a need of having an old fashion warrior kind like M. Lucic kind of a player that can be helpful. now pls do not get me wrong, i am not advocating trading Schm for him, that will catastrophically ill conceive bordering on stupid. in Q's system, he got away from this kind of system wide decision/thinking for the Bhawks.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
there was a ref of no PF on the Bhawks with ref to somewhat protect the elite stars or something like that. the teams has a need of having an old fashion warrior kind like M. Lucic kind of a player that can be helpful. now pls do not get me wrong, i am not advocating trading Schm for him, that will catastrophically ill conceive bordering on stupid. in Q's system, he got away from this kind of system wide decision/thinking for the Bhawks.

Edmonton would pay a team to take Lucic. There’s no reason Lucic’s name should be brought up in a thread about trading Schmaltz.

Moving Schmaltz for Lucic would not be bordering on stupid, it would be something that could only be explained by multiple successive aneurysms.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
These guys are worth peanuts. Trade Kane at the deadline and acquire an actual future building block instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad