Speculation: Moving Schmaltz at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Players have this thing called an agent. And his agent will not advise for him to sign a low cap hit contract longterm

Anyone expecting some longterm deal at low cap hit is being unrealistic
Yes I’m aware and agents use stats and production and draw comparables to other players. His stats do not draw comparables to anyone that would get him a long term contract at a high cap hit.

When did I ever say the hawks could get him long term? You were the only one that said that. I’m sure you can get him on a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable hit that could turn into a bargain for a couple years while the hawks are competing.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
If you’re making a Skille-Schmaltz comp and actually being serious, you should probably take a seat on the bench for a while and stop posting on the subject.
This is also the same guy that said Trubisky sucks because his name is Mitch and that’s not a good football name. I don’t know why anyone bothers to take the time to respond.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Schmaltz's agency managed to get Arvidsson a measly 4.25M. Schmaltz is looking at something no higher than 3.5M.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Hopefully they play hardball with him, and not just hand him a contract.

and that is the FO modus operandi, handing out contract like that. in my posts, i have been in a subtle way explaining that the other recourse, if no other course is possible, trade. but not to wait too long, strike while the iron is hot.

Schm is incapable of changing his style to his game and that is what is happening. all this give and take between him and the coaches has come to a stand-still.

then who is at fault if this is true ??

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
He scored 22 goals last year and more than 50pts, all in his first full NHL season. But keep comparing him to ****ing Jack Skille. :facepalm:

Of course you forgot to mention 15 of Nick's goals that year came after December 28th when the team was dead and buried, Q and the front office no longer emphasized defense in a throwaway season when Crawford went down so it was perfect time to go all out backyard hockey stat padding mode. This year will be no different. Think Jay Cutler and his myriad of stat padding garbage time 4th quarter drives...it got him paid.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Of course you forgot to mention 15 of Nick's goals that year came after December 28th when the team was dead and buried, Q and the front office no longer emphasized defense in a throwaway season when Crawford went down so it was perfect time to go all out backyard hockey stat padding mode. This year will be no different. Think Jay Cutler and his myriad of stat padding garbage time 4th quarter drives...it got him paid.

Lol in his first full year in the NHL, huh? He was stat padding?

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Precisely. His value will never be higher. Trade him for assets. Cat as well. At bare minimum, get a TOP 5 pick in return in this years draft. There is some power forwards to be had.

2022 = Stanley cup and it won't be with Nick on the roster.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I agree he's worth less than 4.1, but this is more to do with the fact that no one offer sheets.

The only reason I brought that up is because I’m saying there’s a layer of protection.

BWC said there’s no way Schmaltz signs a lower $ deal, and I said fine, if someone wants to give him $4.1+ then we’ll take the picks.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Oh damn, I forgot that the NHL doesn't count goals when a team isn't in a playoff spot. Good thing you were here to remind all of us.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Precisely. His value will never be higher. Trade him for assets. Cat as well. At bare minimum, get a TOP 5 pick in return in this years draft. There is some power forwards to be had.

2022 = Stanley cup and it won't be with Nick on the roster.

A solid PF is a rare commodity and it would be lovely to get one but could you please name the ones who could be had.

Let's not forget also that Nick is a kid and (hopefully) Hawks coaching will be better going forward - he could be a pet project for JC and assistants.

By all means shop him, but Hawks need to be wary of giving up on a kid with his skill set unless a deal comes around that Stan can't turn down. On the flip side, his value will go down if he doesn't play to his potential. It's a bit of a conundrum.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
to those really on Schmaltz, I would look at Bo Horvat for a good example of patience. Horvat has been very up and down, a lot of Canucks fans have been frustrated over the past few years because they know he can bring more but for whatever the reason was lacking some..Horvat has played in all different line combos as well as power play, but now is starting to come into his own in almost his 5th season at 23 years old...it takes some players a bit longer to get going, takes the right linemates to get them there and coaching philosophy as well..Schmaltz just turned 22 this year and is barely in his 3rd season...pump the brakes and give him time...

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
to those really on Schmaltz, I would look at Bo Horvat for a good example of patience. Horvat has been very up and down, a lot of Canucks fans have been frustrated over the past few years because they know he can bring more but for whatever the reason was lacking some..Horvat has played in all different line combos as well as power play, but now is starting to come into his own in almost his 5th season at 23 years old...it takes some players a bit longer to get going, takes the right linemates to get them there and coaching philosophy as well..Schmaltz just turned 22 this year and is barely in his 3rd season...pump the brakes and give him time...
Same can be said of Strome, just saying.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

agreed, I want Schmaltz to have more time especially now with Q gone. On a side note, Horvat is an absolute monster at winning faceoffs, had a game earlier this week where he won 23 or 28 draws in one game (can;t remember which one but my opponent in fantasy had him). Nick should work out with Bo in the off season for some tips....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad