Speculation: Moving Schmaltz at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Schmaltz doesn't pick things up, the Hawks could be looking to move on from him and do exactly what they did with Hartman last year.

When Hartman was traded he had 25 points in 57 games played.
The return was Victor Ejdsell and a 1st round pick (Beaudin).

If Schmaltz plays 57 games, he'd be on pace for 23 points. Surprisingly less than Hartman, but about the same.
So essentially the expected return would be similar. A 2019 1st and a B level prospect.

Of course that 1st round pick would have to come from a cup contending team, so the ideal trade partner for the Hawks would be a play off team that have a Schmaltz shaped hole in their lineup.

Possibilities:

Nashville Predators
:nashville
-2019 1st
-Yakov Trenin/Patrick Harper/David Farrance

Toronto Maple Leafs
:leafs
-2019 1st
-Jeremy Bracco/Pierre Engvall/Adam Brooks

Winnipeg Jets
:jets
-2019 1st
-Mason Appleton

Boston Bruins
:bruins
-2019 1st
-Zach Senyshyn/Jakub Zboril

Colorado Avalanche
:avs
-2019 1st
-Shane Bowers

I think Colorado makes the most sense as a partner. They need a 2C which Schmaltz could be for them and they have Ottawa's 1st so they'd be more willing to give up their own. Bowers is a solid prospect. I'd also just push for Schmaltz for Kaut 1-for-1 but the Avs likely aren't eager to move Kaut.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Don't see the point. Hawks need to add to their depth, not trade guys for picks and prospects. Either they need to tear it down and rebuild, or start adding real depth to this team. If you are trading Schmaltz for futures, you may as well trade any one and everyone.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Don't see the point. Hawks need to add to their depth, not trade guys for picks and prospects. Either they need to tear it down and rebuild, or start adding real depth to this team. If you are trading Schmaltz for futures, you may as well trade any one and everyone.
Just equating it to the Hartman situation

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Trade everyone! What a great idea...better than watching the cap pass g for an NHL team that we put on the ice currently...

So many MIS. ..while 2nd line...And the 2 $10.6 not really "starring"with multi point efforts are they?Saddle got hot but even he is a 1 and done for the evening type..Not a single line is really producing anything as a whole line.

P-poor...hard to take wTvhi get his kind of futility.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Preference would be to sign Schmaltz cheap or if they did move him, trade him for Stone or Panarin, whichever we know we can acquire and sign on the spot.

If they trade him for futures, that’s pretty much a commitment to another tank year. I mean, the coaching change hasn’t helped to this point, but let’s give JC until the deadline. If this team is looking at 1OA around the deadline, yeah, we’re just too far away, get another 1st and a spect.

To be honest, Crawford should probably be moved for a 1st and a prospect barring a major turnaround.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I don't understand the desire to trade schmaltz, he's noticeable every night and it's usually making solid plays.

This is a classic sophomore slump, it would be silly to trade him away because he's not producing. He's like Pirri, but better in almost every way.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If you can trade Schmaltz for a top 4 D, or a similar winger/centre, then sure. You don't trade him for futures though unless you are just rebuilding it.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't understand the desire to trade schmaltz, he's noticeable every night and it's usually making solid plays.

This is a classic sophomore slump, it would be silly to trade him away because he's not producing. He's like Pirri, but better in almost every way.
I agree here, but if you can get Nylander you do it, and find a 2C later. Maybe take a chance on Bennett or Dylan Strome. I don't know what the + would have to be to get that deal done, but if it is any of the top D prospects, I'd pass and keep Schmaltz at that point. The Hawks need to keep their better prospects right now.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Why not? We going to sit and wait for 3+ years until those guys are established? Having too many good Dmen is a good thing to have and none of the prospects are guaranteed tonpan out and be top 4 D.

I would want a forward but that is just me because we are loaded at D.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see the D being much better next year, and the year after will still be a trying year. They may be ready, but not for top pairing roles.

Joker will be along with Forsling and Murphy. Mitchell, Boqvist, NB are all cerebral players.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Honestly I would trade Schmaltz for Strome 1-for-1.

Saad-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Sikura
Kampf-Anisimov-Kahun
Ejdsell-Kruger-Hayden

Let the kids play, have them figure shit out while we lose for Hughes. Then we run next season with Toews, Hughes, Strome, Barratt down the middle.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly I would trade Schmaltz for Strome 1-for-1.

Saad-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Sikura
Kampf-Anisimov-Kahun
Ejdsell-Kruger-Hayden

Let the kids play, have them figure **** out while we lose for Hughes. Then we run next season with Toews, Hughes, Strome, Barratt down the middle.

Yes lets trade a great skating player for a player that does not skate well....

Strome produces less already.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Do not want Strome, he sucks. Unfortunately I doubt Bowman has the balls to try to trade Keith.

I guess I’d be happy with just moving Anisimov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad