Speculation: Moving Schmaltz at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
No doubt. Never understood the infatuation with Nick Skille, this kid couldn't score in the minors so it's a carry over effect to his NHL game. The only think Nick has going for him is his age and potential but so did his brother Jack...
He scored 22 goals last year and more than 50pts, all in his first full NHL season. But keep comparing him to f***ing Jack Skille. :facepalm:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Car - Bhawks

to Car they need top 9 forward - defense a 2nd pairing at best.
car needs or want to trade J. Faulk - D m-ntc.

F - A. Fortin + B. Hagel,
D - G. Forsling + L. Carlsson + D. Helm (1 mil for 3 yrs)
Draft picks #2 round, (2) #7 round

to Chi, moveable prospects for a bigger deal. ref Zykov Car wants to move him first.

F - v. Zykov
2019 1st rounder pick top 10 protected.

Det - Bhawks

to Det they need to get rid of salary. they also need to entice their player to accept trade. they also have J Franzen as a LTIR to trade if needed.

F - A. Anisimov + V. Ejdsell + M. Shalunov + A. Altybarmakyan
D - v. Zykov (Car trade) J. Ruuta

to Chi

F - D. HELM (3-yr 1 mil) + G. NYQUIST + G. Smith
D - J. ERICSSON + G. Lindstrom
prospects -(F) F. Zadina + (F) J. Veleno
Draft pick 2019 1st round or 2020 1st round.

to LA. Kings they need to do a salary dump.

F - J. Veleno (Det trade) + N. Schmaltz
D - G. Lindstrom (Det trade)
Draft pick (2) #4 round

to Chi

F - T. Toffoli
D - J. Muzzin
Draft pick 1st. round - 2019 can we maybe ask for 2020 1st. since it is a huge salary dump.

crazy trade idea, you bet. this is fantasy time, however it is doable. Chi net gain is a F Toffoli, LHD - Muzzin. Nyqoist and Ericsson will move directly to the Injured Reserves.....

I really tried to read this and make it more simple but I can't.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You really need to take a break from the trade proposals man.

But like it was mentioned, Anisimov should be the trade bait. I am not at all interested in trading Schmaltz for a package around a first round pick from a contender.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Skille and Schmaltz are completely different types. Schmaltz is a very light version of Michael Nylander. Schmaltz has great hands but you know he’s going to pass on every 2 on 1...and maybe even on a breakaway. His board play is lazy..he’s not great defensively.

I’m not a fan.

I’m a new huge fan of Michael Ferland. That guy is a perfect 2cd liner.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You really need to take a break from the trade proposals man.

But like it was mentioned, Anisimov should be the trade bait. I am not at all interested in trading Schmaltz for a package around a first round pick from a contender.

Why exactly do you think teams would want Anisimov?

He is a costly #3C who is slowing down rapidly and prone to go MIA for weeks

As for Schmaltz he is pretty clearly not a guy to build around and team should be looking to move him using him as trade bait going forward

He is certainly not worth the large extension many on this board were gleefully advocating in summer.

Reactions: Kevin Musto and LDF

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

As for Schmaltz he is pretty clearly not a guy to build around and team should be looking to move him using him as trade bait going forward

He is certainly not worth the large extension many on this board were gleefully advocating in summer.

Couldn’t you have said the same of Vermette a few years ago? His addition to a championship-caliber team meant a Stanley Cup.

Anisimov as a 3C on a championship-quality roster could be the difference. That’s why a GM would look at that.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Ya, looks like many of us were wrong about that at this point. Congrats?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Schmaltz not doing good this year on a horrible season could be a blessing, if Stan was smart which he is not he could sing him For 3 years for cheap but his negotiation skills are pathetic and will end up probably giving him a huge amount or trading him for peanuts.

Reactions: LDF

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Schmaltz not doing good this year on a horrible season could be a blessing, if Stan was smart which he is not he could sing him For 3 years for cheap but his negotiation skills are pathetic and will end up probably giving him a huge amount or trading him for peanuts.

3 years at $3-3.5 million would be nice at this point.

I doubt Schmaltz’ agent allows his client to sign a deal right now, hoping he’ll bounce back and show something before the offseason. I don’t think there’s much Stan can do, assuming Schmaltz’ agent is smart.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He'll give him a huge contract and say, "he is just coming into his own, and just scratching the surface of what he will become. So we gave him a contract on what he will become, not what he is today."

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He'll give him a huge contract and say, "he is just coming into his own, and just scratching the surface of what he will become. So we gave him a contract on what he will become, not what he is today."
isn't that the normal excuse hockey will use to justify contracts.....

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018

If no one wants Anisimov then don’t trade him. You realize we don’t HAVE to make any big trades right? Recycling young high skill players that haven’t been to playing up to potential for late first round picks is how you stay in rebuild mode forever.

The smart thing to do would be to try and lock Schmaltz down at a low hit and try and fix his issues. If you panic and dump him for a late first, you’ll regret it later imo.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If no one wants Anisimov then don’t trade him. You realize we don’t HAVE to make any big trades right? Recycling young high skill players that haven’t been to playing up to potential for late first round picks is how you stay in rebuild mode forever.

The smart thing to do would be to try and lock Schmaltz down at a low hit and try and fix his issues. If you panic and dump him for a late first, you’ll regret it later imo.

I never said to trade Schmaltz for a 1st round pick

Also no locking down Schmaltz for low cap hit is not realistic. And giving him any longterm deal when he continues to disappoint and show major issues would be unwise

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

that too is a hit or miss kind of development that teams take a chance on. sometime it works sometimes it doesn't.

you remember Marko Dano, the Bhawks went out and in a trade got him part of the deal, a 1st round prospect. did ok in his rookie yr, after which he was add to the Chi trade. never fully develop ..... today he was waive. all at the tender age of 24......

the point is, no matter what, even when a young player show promise, they still might not develop. so yeah, if the opportunity is there for a trade, everyone should be avail, but it will cost.

Marko Dano Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

NHL Rumors - ProHockeyRumors.com

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I never said to trade Schmaltz for a 1st round pick

Also no locking down Schmaltz for low cap hit is not realistic. And giving him any longterm deal when he continues to disappoint and show major issues would be unwise
The OP made mention of dumping Schmaltz for a first + middling prospect.

How is it not realistic to lock him down at a low cap hit? Can you explain?

Schmaltz issues are not talent or IQ so they’re 100% fixable issues. Dumping him when he’s at his lowest value is not good asset management.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
that too is a hit or miss kind of development that teams take a chance on. sometime it works sometimes it doesn't.

you remember Marko Dano, the Bhawks went out and in a trade got him part of the deal, a 1st round prospect. did ok in his rookie yr, after which he was add to the Chi trade. never fully develop ..... today he was waive. all at the tender age of 24......

the point is, no matter what, even when a young player show promise, they still might not develop. so yeah, if the opportunity is there for a trade, everyone should be avail, but it will cost.

Marko Dano Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

NHL Rumors - ProHockeyRumors.com

Don’t understand why Nick Schmaltz is being compared to Marko Dano here.

I guess I’m just not on your level LDF. I must be thinking in 2D while you’re thinking in 7D.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydesdale line

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The OP made mention of dumping Schmaltz for a first + middling prospect.

How is it not realistic to lock him down at a low cap hit? Can you explain?

Schmaltz issues are not talent or IQ so they’re 100% fixable issues. Dumping him when he’s at his lowest value is not good asset management.

Players have this thing called an agent. And his agent will not advise for him to sign a low cap hit contract longterm

Anyone expecting some longterm deal at low cap hit is being unrealistic

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Players have this thing called an agent. And his agent will not advise for him to sign a low cap hit contract longterm

You have no idea what his agent is telling him and what he is telling his agent.

Current NHL Clients - KO Sports

Might want to take a look the client list.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Well if he signs an offer sheet for anything more than ~$4.1 million, we get a 1st and a 3rd, better than the offers in the OP.

Reactions: x Tame Impala
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad