Moving on from Jones?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Matt Murray has almost as bad of stats as Jones, on a team that's playing just about as poorly as we are....why would we want him?

Face it, there is no better goalie available that can save this team. No goalie is going to look good behind this defense, and if the defense improves Jones has proven to be an adequate starter. So unless we are trading for like Gibson, getting some has been from another team without a coaching change, or huge shift in defensive play, will just lead to wasting assets on some other goalie who will get destroyed anyways.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Matt Murray has almost as bad of stats as Jones, on a team that's playing just about as poorly as we are....why would we want him?

Face it, there is no better goalie available that can save this team. No goalie is going to look good behind this defense, and if the defense improves Jones has proven to be an adequate starter. So unless we are trading for like Gibson, getting some has been from another team without a coaching change, or huge shift in defensive play, will just lead to wasting assets on some other goalie who will get destroyed anyways.
Really, your best bet at this point is to go for a wildcard prospect. I kinda feel like the NHL goalie situation is kinda dire. It really doesn't seem like there are very many young goalies out there right now that is really a threat to overtake a starting spot anytime soon and not many backup goalies that are likely starters for other teams. I know goalies are considered voodoo but I don't think there's too many exciting young goalies out there at the moment.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Even Gibson...are we forgetting that in the most recent playoff series that Gibson played, he was swept in a series where an objective viewer would likely hypothesize that "if you just swap goalies, the other win"? And are we forgetting that the goaltender on the other side of things was...wait for it...Martin Jones?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Really, your best bet at this point is to go for a wildcard prospect. I kinda feel like the NHL goalie situation is kinda dire. It really doesn't seem like there are very many young goalies out there right now that is really a threat to overtake a starting spot anytime soon and not many backup goalies that are likely starters for other teams. I know goalies are considered voodoo but I don't think there's too many exciting young goalies out there at the moment.

True, and just about every potential stud goalie prospect, that I am aware of, are property of teams really banking on those prospects to take over soon, or behind older goalies who they will be replacing soonish, or are too young to be ready most likely.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Even Gibson...are we forgetting that in the most recent playoff series that Gibson played, he was swept in a series where an objective viewer would likely hypothesize that "if you just swap goalies, the other win"? And are we forgetting that the goaltender on the other side of things was...wait for it...Martin Jones?

I used Gibson, because he is playing behind an objectively poor team, facing a ton of HD chances, and shots, and doing well.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I used Gibson, because he is playing behind an objectively poor team, facing a ton of HD chances, and shots, and doing well.

Right, I'm mostly agreeing with your post. I'm just saying that even Gibson, who is widely regarded as the best goaltender right now...we literally just faced this guy in a playoff series where we won because of how much better Martin Jones was than Gibson!

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Right, I'm mostly agreeing with your post. I'm just saying that even Gibson, who is widely regarded as the best goaltender right now...we literally just faced this guy in a playoff series where we won because of how much better Martin Jones was than Gibson!

Ah ok, I see what you are saying now, and yes I agree with your point then.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Jones is a fantastic positional goalie, but he fails on those 1-on-1s where we leave him out to dry. That’s fine. Historically, especially in the playoffs, we do a good job limiting those high danger chances against and let him make 30 some odd positional saves a game. We need to play our system to high light the strengths of our team. We are not currently doing that.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
A356jiI.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What a performance tonight. He’s doing it!
Eh

It's just one game.

But I've been saying that he hasn't been quite as bad as abysmal save percentage this year. He's been bad, but if you'd asked me to guess his save percentage without looking it up, I would have thought it was .905% or something and not .890% or whatever it is. And I've been one of his biggest critics, but mostly because people (the main board and member of the media) overrate him and claim he's a top-10 goalie or even better, which he's not. He's just an average starting goalie.

I expect by the end of the year he'll probably be back to league average, which is around where he usually. Nothing remarkable or particularly good, but not bad. Just average and that's what he is.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Bob is used to playing behind a shit defense...

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Well, with his contract, we can't. I just hope the man can play like the Jones of old. League average starter but stepping it up in the post season. Current Jones is worrisome though.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
FWIW, the Sharks are currently dead last in the league in high danger chance goals allowed. If they get their **** together as a group, we won’t have to worry nearly as much about Jones.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Montreal didn't have very many shots up high on Jones, which has been his biggest area of concern this season.
He's a big goalie. If he is aggressive like he was in the last game and comes off the goal line to the top of the crease to challenge, there isn't much net to shoot at up top.

Reactions: Herschel

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
He's a big goalie. If he is aggressive like he was in the last game and comes off the goal line to the top of the crease to challenge, there isn't much net to shoot at up top.

100% correct! Jones looked for like himself and seemed comfortable coming out to challenge shooters.

The Shark's also did a much better job of pressuring shooters. When Montreal had opportunities they forced the shooter to get it off quickly which leads to more shots going wide or into Jones' crest.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
What do the Pens fans think of keeping Murray over Fleury now? I don't visit their forum, but back prior to the expansion draft I recall some of them were upset at Fleury for potentially exposing Murray.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What do the Pens fans think of keeping Murray over Fleury now? I don't visit their forum, but back prior to the expansion draft I recall some of them were upset at Fleury for potentially exposing Murray.

I think they would still make that decision regardless because Fleury likely isn't playing like he has in Vegas if he doesn't leave Pittsburgh.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they would still make that decision regardless because Fleury likely isn't playing like he has in Vegas if he doesn't leave Pittsburgh.
Why not? Outside of his last season in Pittsburgh, which I believe was cut short with injuries/concussion, Fleury's best stretch of years in Pittsburgh were literally 3 of his last 4 years there. Fleury's a rare example of a goaltender that's been better in his 30's than he was in his 20's.

I never considered Fleury better than average between 2003-2013. He had some good years, but he also had mediocre ones. I always considered him an average goalie on a stacked team up until about 4 years ago.

Not every goalie plays worse because of the team, like you seem to believe. Of course there are guys like Brian Elliott, who never look good without Hitchcock, but there's plenty of teams that have two goalies that are not playing to the same level. Just look at the difference between DeSmith and Murray this year in Pittsburgh behind the same team. I'm pretty sure DeSmith was better than Murray over there last year too, by a significant amount. Although he only played 14 games last year. He's already played 6 more games than Murray this year and has been outplaying him quite significantly (.923% to .877%) all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad