Moving on from Jones?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
But yeah it's looking more and more like DW will need to move Melker Karlsson with Braun to get rid of them. The team probably gets better by subtracting those two at this point. Especially since they have a financial incentive to do so to keep EK65.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That GAR chart suggests Dylan DeMelo has a higher GAR than Erik Karlsson and that the Senators defense, who are on pace to allow the most goals since 2005-2006 and the most shots of all time, are better than the Sharks defense.

It’s trash.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That GAR chart suggests Dylan DeMelo has a higher GAR than Erik Karlsson and that the Senators defense, who are on pace to allow the most goals since 2005-2006 and the most shots of all time, are better than the Sharks defense.

It’s trash.

Well, that's because the GAR stat doesn't seem to include PK defense.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well, that's because the GAR stat doesn't seem to include PK defense.

Well, that’s a serious flaw with the metrics.

It also doesn’t seem to accurately include 5V5 defense, where Ottawa’s goals against, shot attempts against, and expected goals against per 60 minutes are all the worst in the NHL.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm not in the camp of moving Jones at this point, and probably not at all this season. What I am warming up to is moving Kane.

He's only been consistent in the first week or two of the season, and then has been sporadic on the ice. He seems to play the agitator role, but at $7m/yr, he is being paid to score. The off ice issues such as lack of work ethic, and poor choices that plagued him in Minnesota and Buffalo seem to remain.

If I was DW, the first game of January would be my line in the sand, if they are still in this predicament of basically treading water at .500, I would fire PDB (if not already), move Melker even if that means bundling Braun, trade Kane and Pavs, then EK65 near the TDL for maximum return. I would even look at what returns Vlasic would bring, and if good, go for it. WIth Kane, Pavs, EK65, and Vlasic trading, I would look for 3 1st round picks coming back in total of the trades.

Again as DW, I would want to avoid this fire sale and rebuild by firing PDB now, and get either Quenneville (1st choice), Sutter, or Bylsma. Heck if any of those three are dragging feet, and push come to shove, I would hire John Scott as the interim until the ink is put onto the contract from one of those three.

An interim John Scott would mean great post-game interviews.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not in the camp of moving Jones at this point, and probably not at all this season. What I am warming up to is moving Kane.

He's only been consistent in the first week or two of the season, and then has been sporadic on the ice. He seems to play the agitator role, but at $7m/yr, he is being paid to score. The off ice issues such as lack of work ethic, and poor choices that plagued him in Minnesota and Buffalo seem to remain.

If I was DW, the first game of January would be my line in the sand, if they are still in this predicament of basically treading water at .500, I would fire PDB (if not already), move Melker even if that means bundling Braun, trade Kane and Pavs, then EK65 near the TDL for maximum return. I would even look at what returns Vlasic would bring, and if good, go for it. WIth Kane, Pavs, EK65, and Vlasic trading, I would look for 3 1st round picks coming back in total of the trades.

Again as DW, I would want to avoid this fire sale and rebuild by firing PDB now, and get either Quenneville (1st choice), Sutter, or Bylsma. Heck if any of those three are dragging feet, and push come to shove, I would hire John Scott as the interim until the ink is put onto the contract from one of those three.

Kane has a 3-team NTC. I can guarantee you that we are stuck with that horrendous contract for at least a few years.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017

There is a NO CHANCE DW does this. Period. He's all in this year...

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

If there were actually a deal to be made to add someone like Bobrosky for Jones without gutting the team I would be all for that.

Kane isn't getting traded unless there is a locker rom problem we don't know about. Kanes on pace for approx 30 goals and 50-60 points. He scores in bunches typically so I expect another big game soon. Considering the other stuff he does on ice that contract is just fine. I know we're gonna re-hash his contract on this board till the end of time but as long as he's producing at the level he is and playing the way he is, the contract is appropriate for the current salary cap. Who are his most common line mates...? Pavs, Donkey & Shovels. I thought his advanced stats were pretty good so far this season? Maybe that's changed? I'd like to see him stick with the same line mates for a few games and see how that goes.

As much as I want Vlassic traded I just don't see it. Someone else said he has a no trade. Braun and Melker, sure! Do that today! I would rather get Ryan more ice time so he's ready for the playoffs. Same with the other 2 D that have been riding the pine so far this season. I think they intended to trade Braun already but the team has been a shit show so the offers have sucked. Otherwise they would have traded one of Simek or Heed already. Clearly they don't intend to trade Simek because he isn't even getting a game here and there to showcase.

Reactions: Phu

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
I'm literally laughing at the suggestions of rebuilding the team after a quarter of a season where we are towards the top of the division, in a season where we traded futures for a game changing player.

What a great joke.

QFT.

What gives around here? Go take a walk or something folks.

We're in a much better position that 80%-85% of the league .

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
QFT.

What gives around here? Go take a walk or something folks.

We're in a much better position that 80%-85% of the league .

But pointing out all the precieved flaws allows posters to appear knowledgeable and it more fun to make wild claims around trading key pieces or firing the coach.

This is a hockey forum take you logic elsewhere, lol

Reactions: Alaskanice

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Dell isn't much better and has shown that he isn't capable of handling any type of load. If it wasn't for his 2 shutouts against weak opponents his numbers would be about as bad.

Reactions: Sacul

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
If the Pacific wasn't a dumpster fire, there's a good chance we wouldn't even make the playoffs this year.

And I'm not joking.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey

By goals saved above average (how many goals a goalie let in compared to a hypothetical league average goalie facing the same low/med/high danger scoring chances) Jones is the single worst goalie in the league at -10.92 goals saved above average. So, by that reckoning, with a league average goalie instead of Jones the Sharks let in 11 less goals so far this year.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey

By goals saved above average (how many goals a goalie let in compared to a hypothetical league average goalie facing the same low/med/high danger scoring chances) Jones is the single worst goalie in the league at -10.92 goals saved above average. So, by that reckoning, with a league average goalie instead of Jones the Sharks let in 11 less goals so far this year.

Those metrics don’t entirely explain things. The expected goals against metric is too kind to the Sharks and does not properly assess the true level of danger of the chances they allow.

If the Pacific wasn't a dumpster fire, there's a good chance we wouldn't even make the playoffs this year.

And I'm not joking.

We are currently outside of a playoff spot in the dumpster fire Pacific.

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
Just came back from Ottawa. This team is a dumpster fire. Something needs to happen. Either a trade, a firing I mean something has to. The defense is poor. Vlasic thinks he's Bobby Orr and needs to get back to his old self.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad