OT: Movies, Music, & TV Thread

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I watched skins a few years back, first 4 seasons are pretty good. It has some people that are starting to show up in other roles so that is cool to see. MTV apparently tried to make an American version that bombed.

Off the top of my head, The Office is probably the only UK show that made it and thrived in America. I remember NBC tried to do a US version of Coupling and it was turrible.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Haven't watched the English version yet, but I hadn't thought of that one. I figured I'd have a look in a few years when memories of the US version fade a little.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Haven't seen the English version either. If I want to be entertained by British politics, I'd just as soon check out those prime-minister-getting-roasted-by-MP's videos. Heheheh.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Off the top of my head, The Office is probably the only UK show that made it and thrived in America. I remember NBC tried to do a US version of Coupling and it was turrible.

I'm offended by the idea that they would ever try to recreate Coupling. That show is perfect just the way it is, and good luck trying to replicate it with a different cast and writers with American censorship standards.

I'm a big TV comedy junkie, and I still don't get why people like The Office so much. Guess it's just not my kind of humor.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Vacationer-Relief.jpg

Great album for the summer. Very fresh sound, excellent vocals. Kind of like a blend of St. Lucia/M83/Fleet Foxes but more relaxed.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'm late to seeing this, but the wife and I saw 22 Jump Street at Studio Movie Grill this past weekend.

If you enjoyed the first one, you'll laugh your ass off. Pretty good.

Brand New Stars

I can't have a good time at Studio Movie Grill. So distracting.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Was always curious about the Studio Movie Grill business model. Fewer seats (less revenue) with more expenses (wait staff, full kitchen). The ticket itself isn't that much more than average, right?

Also wonder how Half Price Books makes money, too. They do run a nice operation, though.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Was always curious about the Studio Movie Grill business model. Fewer seats (less revenue) with more expenses (wait staff, full kitchen). The ticket itself isn't that much more than average, right?

Also wonder how Half Price Books makes money, too. They do run a nice operation, though.

The food is pretty terribly overpriced. 40 bucks for half a pizza and a decently-sized basket of chicken tenders the last time I went.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010

Ticket prices can actually even be cheaper than regular theaters. They expect you to order something, which LT described well as being overpriced. $13-$25ish entrees, serves alcohol for more than bar prices, same price with less quantity/bigger price same quantity for movie theater foods like candy and popcorn etc.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
House of Cards.

I watched season 1 and thought it was pretty good. I didn't enjoy the asides from Frank when he talks to the camera. Then I watched season 2 episode 1 and got completely turned off by what that show was trying to pull off and stopped watching.

[spoil] you are going to tell me that the Vice President of the USA went into a public subway station that is going to have security cameras and hundreds of civilians around and is just going to be able to ****ing push a known associate into a ****ing train and get away with it scot-free? With no one being able to notice it was him? Just ludicrous. [/spoil]

Edit: Just read the context of you mentioning that show. Still, my point is valid about the US version.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I watched season 1 and thought it was pretty good. I didn't enjoy the asides from Frank when he talks to the camera. Then I watched season 2 episode 1 and got completely turned off by what that show was trying to pull off and stopped watching.

[spoil] you are going to tell me that the Vice President of the USA went into a public subway station that is going to have security cameras and hundreds of civilians around and is just going to be able to ****ing push a known associate into a ****ing train and get away with it scot-free? With no one being able to notice it was him? Just ludicrous. [/spoil]

Edit: Just read the context of you mentioning that show. Still, my point is valid about the US version.

She wasn't a known associate, unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Ticket prices can actually even be cheaper than regular theaters. They expect you to order something, which LT described well as being overpriced. $13-$25ish entrees, serves alcohol for more than bar prices, same price with less quantity/bigger price same quantity for movie theater foods like candy and popcorn etc.

I've never been but the idea of ordering and eating food while watching a movie in a cinema is strange to me. I just wish more places served booze at the concessions and I'm grand. I don't need to eat a rack of ribs while watching a movie and I don't really want to see a bunch of people walking around distracting me from what I came to watch.

Seems like the kind of place you'd go on a date with someone you're not that into.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
At least known to her bf or whatever, the big issue to me was just how thinking about Dick Chaney, Joe Biden, or Al Gore trying to pull that off, I laugh my ass off.

I respect where you're coming from, but in the context of the show I thought it worked. His whole thing is being three steps ahead.

I've seen a lot of people here recommend Orange is the New Black. I'm 4 episodes in and not fully bought in yet. How long before I should consider that it's just not for me?

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I respect where you're coming from, but in the context of the show I thought it worked. His whole thing is being three steps ahead.

I've seen a lot of people here recommend Orange is the New Black. I'm 4 episodes in and not fully bought in yet. How long before I should consider that it's just not for me?

I think it probably gets slightly better than the first 4 episodes. Plus you get to see Donna for that 70s Show's boobs if you havent already. If you don't like it at this point, bailing isn't a bad decision. Also, I take back what I said about Skins being a must watch. Easily way worse than Peep Show and The Inbetweeners. Has some payoff, but I quit mid season 2.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think it probably gets slightly better than the first 4 episodes. Plus you get to see Donna for that 70s Show's boobs if you havent already. If you don't like it at this point, bailing isn't a bad decision. Also, I take back what I said about Skins being a must watch. Easily way worse than Peep Show and The Inbetweeners. Has some payoff, but I quit mid season 2.

Hot Donna's bewbs made an appearance in episode 1 of season 1. By far the highlight of the series so far. I've got time so I'll give it another few episodes but when you're the type who likes to sit down and watch three hours of a TV show and you have zero impulse to play the next one I don't see it getting much better for me.

Recently re-watched about half of the Inbetweeners and I think I'm just going to watch it all again. Too bad it was so short-lived, but that's how some British shows roll.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Watched Pain & Gain for the first time with no preconceived notions going in. HOLY **** is that a ****ed up plot. 7/10. Thank you Marky Mark, boo you The Rock.

Edit: And it's a true story.

MetalGodAOD*

Piper is the worst thing about OITNB. Just focus on the other characters in the prison, especially Red, and you'll have a good time. And lots of lesbo action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad