OT: Movies, Music, & TV Thread

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We need a thread to get away from hockey sometimes. Anyone watch any good movies lately?

I just finished watching Living 'til the End on Netflix Online.

From Netflix:

A visit to a psychic leaves Jack (Sean Maher) with two pieces of lousy news: His girlfriend has been cheating on him and he will die on his next birthday. Taking the latter prediction to heart, Jack waits the year out in his apartment turned bunker, until a vivacious but terminally ill woman (Jaime Ray Newman) changes his perspective. The two lives combine with poignant results in this romantic drama from debut director Amanda Goodwin.

normalize_jpeg.jhtml

I don't like that Netflix described it as a romantic drama, but I can't come up with a more satisfactory description. Overall though, this is one of the better movies I've seen in a while even though I didn't recognize the majority of the cast. In fact, I have only seen the actor playing the shrink appear in other movies.

The main character has some form of OCD mixed with an abundance of phobias. On the other hand, the only information you know about the woman's condition is that she will die in a few weeks. Throughout the movie, they drop hints about her condition, but I interpreted them incorrectly while I was watching. Nothing better than getting caught off guard. Most movies are predictable and lack any well thought out plots.

The main focus of the film is the relationship of a person that fears death and one who welcomes the end of her life. Fear vs. fearless creates come interesting scenarios for the characters to face.

The best part of the move was a major twist. I felt one coming, but I was going in a different direction. It definitely made for a great ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas
I watch loads of movies. That's what happens as a fellow Netflix subscriber.

I have never heard of that film, but I'll it to my queue. The movie I recommend to all my friends is 'Memento' because it's one very few have actually seen. Also check out 'Downfall' if you're into WW II flicks from the German perspective.

A few that I have seen recently and enjoyed include:
'My Best Friend's Girl'
'Definitely, Maybe'
'Black Book'
'City of God'
'11:14'

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
I agree 'Memento' is a great movie.
Another quality flick is 'Traffic'
I also encourage anyone who has not seen 'The Wrestler' to watch it. Rourke is beyond amazing in that movie (as you probably have heard)

atticus ross

Apr 24, 2003
over here
Visit site
I agree 'Memento' is a great movie.
Another quality flick is 'Traffic'
I also encourage anyone who has not seen 'The Wrestler' to watch it. Rourke is beyond amazing in that movie (as you probably have heard)
speaking of rourke, has anyone seen The Pope of Greenwich Village? the reviews seemed good, so i grabbed it. will probably watch later tonight or tomorrow.

Sony Eriksson*

Band of Brothers 10 disc box set...I have watched at least 10 times.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
I watch loads of movies. That's what happens as a fellow Netflix subscriber.

I have never heard of that film, but I'll it to my queue. The movie I recommend to all my friends is 'Memento' because it's one very few have actually seen. Also check out 'Downfall' if you're into WW II flicks from the German perspective.

A few that I have seen recently and enjoyed include:
'My Best Friend's Girl'
'Definitely, Maybe'
'Black Book'
'City of God'
'11:14'

I keep hearing about this movie. Is it actually really good? The ratings were pretty decent.

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas
I thought it was, yeah. My brother and his wife (both 34) also enjoyed it, and I've got a few friends who have seen and enjoyed it too. Certainly worth the rental.

Re: Band of Brothers - this is clearly the best WW II 'movie' in the last two decades. I pinched my money and purchased HBO when it came out and I was in college, purchased the boxed set the day it came out and have seen it several times over. It's also interesting to see so many of the actors in BoB in other films.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I keep hearing about this movie. Is it actually really good? The ratings were pretty decent.

The young girl from Little Miss Sunshine plays the daughter in the movie.

I honestly though it was great, but I'm surprised to see it mentioned here. This is one of the movies I enjoy that includes constant ridicule from friends and family because it's a "chick flick".

Hey Chad_,

If Living ‘til the End sounds interesting to you, check out Big Fish. They’re not similar really, but the both deal with human tragedy and how people cope with it. I’m not going to lie, the first time I watched it, my father was alive, and I thought it was a good movie. After my father passed away, I was watching it again and it had a bigger impact on me. It’s a Tim Burton film so it has some quirky characters. I’m usually not a fan of him, but I thought he did fine with this story.

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas
The young girl from Little Miss Sunshine plays the daughter in the movie.

I honestly though it was great, but I'm surprised to see it mentioned here. This is one of the movies I enjoy that includes constant ridicule from friends and family because it's a "chick flick".

Hey Chad_,

If Living ‘til the End sounds interesting to you, check out Big Fish. They’re not similar really, but the both deal with human tragedy and how people cope with it. I’m not going to lie, the first time I watched it, my father was alive, and I thought it was a good movie. After my father passed away, I was watching it again and it had a bigger impact on me. It’s a Tim Burton film so it has some quirky characters. I’m usually not a fan of him, but I thought he did fine with this story.

Yeah, it's a 'chick flick,' there's nothing wrong with that either, but it's one of those that has something for guys and gals. It's geared towards a younger audience too, rather than some in the same genre that cater to others.

I thought about including 'Big Fish,' but I assumed most would have either heard about it or seen it by now. It's one of my favorite movies. And like you, I don't generally like Tim Burton and I don't get the alleged 'genious' of Burton behind 'Edward Scissorhands,' 'Seinfeld' reference aside.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
I though Big Fish was a strange movie. When I went into the movie I don't think I gave it a good chance. I should probably check it out again.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I get Netflix more for TV shows than movies but here are some of my favorites that I've seen recently.

Colditz - about escaping from a Nazi prision camp. This 2005 edition is really a good story with some great performances thrown in too. Damian Lewis from BoB is in it.

The Sentinel - How can Kiefer Sutherland and Michael Douglass be wrong in an action/thriller movie?

Cloverfield - Was much better than I thought it'd be. Anyone who grew up with Godzilla movies will probably like this.

Chaos - I'd watch Jason Statham read the phone book but I was really surprised at just how good this movie actually was. No big action sequences, it's got a good plot and a nice twist.

As for TV:

The Wire - I assume I was the last in America to find this show but it's must see TV. I'm only on the last disc of the first season but wow. Great show.

MI-5 - Some have seen the edited version on A&E here in America but the uncut BBC version is just greatness. If you like any kind of international anti-terrorism type of shows this is hands down one of the best.

If anyone's interested in Sci-Fi let me know and I'll have a whole host of other shows to recommend but hopefully that helps fill out a couple other people's queues.

vofty

Mar 2, 2008
TX
I though Big Fish was a strange movie. When I went into the movie I don't think I gave it a good chance. I should probably check it out again.

I agree I thought it was odd too, liked it, but I thought it was odd.

I know it is a long ways from coming out on disc, but if slumdog millionaire is still out and you can go check it out do it! One of the few winners I really, really liked. When I first heard the premise of the movie I was very unconvinced I would like it, but I went and loved it!

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas

It is a strange movie, it's a Tim Burton flick so it has to be, but it tells a wonderful story. I'd explain the summary of the film a bit different than BigG44.

Sure, it's about human tragedy, but it's more about how one deals with one's own life story and how one passes his or her life story on. Without giving anything away, the film struck me seeing as how one of the main characters was a journalist for UPI and was instructed to present issues as black and white, while his father was a story teller and thought it best to spice things up instead of present just the mundane. It's the contrast between the two styles, symbolic of today versus the recent past, that shines through the film. The imagery is fantastic and even though it is a fantasy type film and I don't usually like that genre, it's evident why it was done as so as the film continues its course.

'Cloverfield' actually was pretty interesting, much to my surprise, and I've never liked Godzilla or anything similar to it. I just enjoyed the way the film was made. And I've since added 'Colditz' to my queue as I hadn't heard of it before.

If there is an interest in a WW I film, try out 'Joyeux Noel.' If anyone likes Chinese films like 'Hero,' try out 'House of Flying Daggers.'

Last edited:

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas
I know it is a long ways from coming out on disc, but if slumdog millionaire is still out and you can go check it out do it! One of the few winners I really, really liked. When I first heard the premise of the movie I was very unconvinced I would like it, but I went and loved it!

I caught the film last week, and I was surprised. Much like you, I didn't think I'd like it due to the subject matter and the fact it received numerous awards. However, I enjoyed it. It's a good flick.

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas
Taken

It's an hour and a half total, an hour of all but constant action. Very enjoyable flick, and Tom Grieve agrees.

Sony Eriksson*

Agreed. Definitely was better than I was thinking it was going to be.

Also, Star Trek is awesome. That's all I have to say.

Ill be seeing Star Trek this weekend.

My wife also decided to rent Mr. Brooks and that was a pretty good movie. Kevin Costner drives me up the wall but he actually good in this movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Ill be seeing Star Trek this weekend.

My wife also decided to rent Mr. Brooks and that was a pretty good movie. Kevin Costner drives me up the wall but he actually good in this movie.

Mr. Brooks was very good. I loved the last scene in the movie.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Ugh, I hate the Office. I watched the entire first season to give it a chance, barely laughed at all. I guess I just don't get it.

As for Jason Statham? Watch Snatch, it is awesome.

Sony Eriksson*

Ugh, I hate the Office. I watched the entire first season to give it a chance, barely laughed at all. I guess I just don't get it.

As for Jason Statham? Watch Snatch, it is awesome.

Turkish was kick ass! Brad Pitt was incredible in that movie.

Chad_

Jun 9, 2007
Dallas
Here's one for your 'Don't See' list: The International.

I enjoy action movies and they don't always have to make sense, but the plot in this one is so stupid you can't even enjoy what was an otherwise good Guggenheim scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad