OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Marvel does abuse the shit out of it. My biggest gripe for a black widow movie is that most of her bad assery is the stunt woman and her making hulk relaxed. Her in an actual spy movie with a Russian accent is gonna be so bad. So so bad.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
can't say I'm super excited for a Black Widow prequel.
Out of all the fantastic female characters they choose her. They over saturated the f*** out of their own characters. Like I never want to see more of any of the characters used in marvel right now or even xmen. It's been done to death..

They have an entire catalog, use it. Or why does everything need to be so female driven these days. Are great stories just not good enough that they need to shove diversity and gender issues all up in it?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Dove into the Bill Murray library last night for Christmas, Scrouged, forget how much I love that movie.
Scrooged is such a good movie for an old story done in a fresh way that no one has been able to take that story and make it as fun and heart warming as that one is.

Family man is sort of in that same vein and Cage is fantastic in it as well.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Out of all the fantastic female characters they choose her. They over saturated the **** out of their own characters. Like I never want to see more of any of the characters used in marvel right now or even xmen. It's been done to death..

They have an entire catalog, use it. Or why does everything need to be so female driven these days. Are great stories just not good enough that they need to shove diversity and gender issues all up in it?

Eh, their best characters are their best characters. Basing so many movies around Cap and Iron Man has made perfect sense. They are great characters. I don't think anything has been over-saturated honestly. They do the same thing with the comic books, except they also make a ton of other ones on top of it for the rest of the characters. But the focus is always on the top characters. Going forward that should shift to Spiderman I would think. Not sure what else. Probably Black Panther. Hopefully maybe Fantastic Four or X-Men, but who knows how they will handle that stuff coming in to the fold.

That said, Black Widow is not one of their best characters. That movie seems to be giving in to media pressure for sure, and ScarJo's fame. Here's hoping they surprise everybody and put out a solid spy movie.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I saw Vice tonight. It's gonna piss off everyone on both sides of the aisle. Probably not super historically accurate, but entertaining nonetheless.
That’s how a lot of those pieces are, you have to take them with a super huge grain of salt and simply as entertaining fluff jobs. I want to see it also, but everyone gets way to worked up over entertainment.

Reactions: billybudd

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
First...

Eh, their best characters are their best characters. Basing so many movies around Cap and Iron Man has made perfect sense. They are great characters. I don't think anything has been over-saturated honestly. They do the same thing with the comic books, except they also make a ton of other ones on top of it for the rest of the characters. But the focus is always on the top characters. Going forward that should shift to Spiderman I would think. Not sure what else. Probably Black Panther. Hopefully maybe Fantastic Four or X-Men, but who knows how they will handle that stuff coming in to the fold.

That said, Black Widow is not one of their best characters. That movie seems to be giving in to media pressure for sure, and ScarJo's fame. Here's hoping they surprise everybody and put out a solid spy movie.

This is why I am curious about their next phase after the Avengers movie is out.

If they are going to rely on the characters that are back from the dead, oh man, that's not going to be good. I think after this, you've sort of done what you can with those guys like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc. Those characters have all grown into whatever they were meant to be at this point, anything more is just growing too long in the tooth and not knowing when to quit.

I supposed they can just keep CGI'ing the f*** out of everything and make RDJr as Iron Man in the early years with that fancy tech that made him look young again (but missed that horrendous set of chompers he had when he was at that age) and what made Kurt young in GOTG2.

Marvel has its big names, some lesser known names are not as intriguing unfortunately. It's why I get stale with Marvel comics for the most part. I can only stand how many times Wolverine is back or dead or back or dead or back...or the new so and so before I am like, holy f***, f*** this, let's see what DC and Image are up to.
Just watched In Bruges. Great movie.

Did you just finally see this?

It's fantastic.

Reactions: billybudd

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Saving for later. I still want my Vader as horror villain movie.
This is why I am curious about their next phase after the Avengers movie is out.

If they are going to rely on the characters that are back from the dead, oh man, that's not going to be good. I think after this, you've sort of done what you can with those guys like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc. Those characters have all grown into whatever they were meant to be at this point, anything more is just growing too long in the tooth and not knowing when to quit.

I supposed they can just keep CGI'ing the **** out of everything and make RDJr as Iron Man in the early years with that fancy tech that made him look young again (but missed that horrendous set of chompers he had when he was at that age) and what made Kurt young in GOTG2.

Well they are absolutely going forward with the people who are currently dead. That's Spiderman, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Guardians, etc. Cap, IM, and Thor all lived, but I think this is going to be the end of their stories. They have set it up to be their finale while setting the stage for the people they bring back to take over afterwords.

I kind of hope for some sort of alternate reality situation instead of just a time reset minus Thanos. Maybe come back to a world where Mutants exist and these guys suddenly aren't so special. That would let them introduce the X-Men into the fold without having to actually start from the beginning again with the X-Men, and also explain why mutants just haven't been a thing this whole time :laugh:

Marvel has its big names, some lesser known names are not as intriguing unfortunately. It's why I get stale with Marvel comics for the most part. I can only stand how many times Wolverine is back or dead or back or dead or back...or the new so and so before I am like, holy ****, **** this, let's see what DC and Image are up to.

Doesn't DC do the same thing with Batman, Superman, The Flash, etc?

I'll be honest, I haven't read a comic book in 20 years. I've always loved the tv shows and movies but was never more than a casual comic reader.

Did you just finally see this?

It's fantastic.
No I'd seen it before and indeed.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Saving for later. I still want my Vader as horror villain movie.

Well they are absolutely going forward with the people who are currently dead. That's Spiderman, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Guardians, etc. Cap, IM, and Thor all lived, but I think this is going to be the end of their stories. They have set it up to be their finale while setting the stage for the people they bring back to take over afterwords.

I kind of hope for some sort of alternate reality situation instead of just a time reset minus Thanos. Maybe come back to a world where Mutants exist and these guys suddenly aren't so special. That would let them introduce the X-Men into the fold without having to actually start from the beginning again with the X-Men, and also explain why mutants just haven't been a thing this whole time :laugh:

Doesn't DC do the same thing with Batman, Superman, The Flash, etc?

I'll be honest, I haven't read a comic book in 20 years. I've always loved the tv shows and movies but was never more than a casual comic reader.

No I'd seen it before and indeed.
DC just started. We're getting a birds of prey movie got a suicide squad one, getting shazam, a joker movie.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Watched 2036 Origin Unknown on Netflix. Don't recommend. Looked interesting, but ended up being a sort of a low-budget (?) 2001 knockoff. If you've seen that movie, you've seen this one. It's almost close enough that if I were a rightsholder to 2001, I might investigate the possibility of a lawsuit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
DC just started. We're getting a birds of prey movie got a suicide squad one, getting shazam, a joker movie.
I'm talking comics. Yeah, we'll see how the movies go. Both are doing a good job of branching outside of their main cast, at least on paper. DC is just getting to that point since they started this set of movies later. I'd say Marvel has done a good job of it. Guardians and Ant Man being successful movies would have seemed ridiculous 10 years ago. Hell, even Iron Man and Cap weren't Marvel's typical A-List. It'll be interesting to see how they transition the series without them now. They can either decide to dig even deeper, or they could actually go the other way since they will have access to X-Men and Fantastic Four. I think I'd ideally prefer them to hold off a while for X-Men at least, and potentially even just make them a separate thing all-together.

And for all the shit I give DC, I really do hope they work it out. I WANT them to be good, I just haven't liked the recent movies. I need to see Aquaman. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe a double feature with that and Into the Spiderverse.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm talking comics. Yeah, we'll see how the movies go. Both are doing a good job of branching outside of their main cast, at least on paper. DC is just getting to that point since they started this set of movies later. I'd say Marvel has done a good job of it. Guardians and Ant Man being successful movies would have seemed ridiculous 10 years ago. Hell, even Iron Man and Cap weren't Marvel's typical A-List. It'll be interesting to see how they transition the series without them now. They can either decide to dig even deeper, or they could actually go the other way since they will have access to X-Men and Fantastic Four. I think I'd ideally prefer them to hold off a while for X-Men at least, and potentially even just make them a separate thing all-together.

And for all the **** I give DC, I really do hope they work it out. I WANT them to be good, I just haven't liked the recent movies. I need to see Aquaman. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe a double feature with that and Into the Spiderverse.
Did you not see Aquaman?

Listen, for someone that is so f***ing passionate about Marvel, you have to seriously understand how much studio interference can destroy a movie. There are enough Marvel movies that are ruined because a studio wanted to push their own narrative.

Warner Bros did that with DC, the best thing for DC was hiring that ass clown Whedon and letting him do his thing with their bidding, it destroyed Justice League so much, WB said ok f***, Wonder Woman was good, why? Oh right, we let that Director do what she wanted with her vision.

DC isn't that dark. It was dark because of the Nolan movies and then that idiot Snyder carried it on. Superman should be the annoyingly good boy scout, Batman should be the only brooding one, GL is a wise ass, Barry is just trying to fit in, WW is annoyed of the boys club, etc etc...instead, they f***ed with it too much. Now Aquaman is fun, WW wants to see the good in people, carry that shit forward! Shazam looks like it's got the character down perfectly so far. If Aquaman continues to rake in money, JL2 will happen and hopefully they recast Supes and Bats.

Suicide Squad was the same mistakes, studio butchered the movie so much, the director was like, that's not even close to the movie I made, what?

Aquaman was fun, outside of the guy playing teenaged Arthur, the movie was a blast. Also, Ocean Master and his mask, I got chills to finally see the live version of that, just...I'm seeing that movie again it was so fun.

Also comics wise, there's not even a competition, DC blows Marvel out of the water the same way Marvel has with $$$ with their movies vs DC so far, it's just not close at all, there's no sane argument to be made that puts Marvel on an even playing field with DC in the comics side of things. Hell, I would rather read Image comics than the shit that Marvel keeps pushing on people.

Marvel comics is like GTA and clothing changes, they are selling you the same pants in 10 different colors telling you it's different.

Although, I do hope for a movie about Namor, but there will be tons of comparisons to Aquaman.

But yeah, I wish Marvel would make a movie about some of their villians.

The fact that we're getting a movie about Black Adam and even Joker is fantastic. It's different. It can be boring to watch CGI'd to death positivity blasting in your face with insanely loud music when it shouldn't be. Even in Marvel comics, no one is bad for long. Like, Magneto is a likable character after a while, same for even that whackjob Doctor Doom. Even in Spiderman movies, Norman redeems himself or tries to. Venom? Nah, hey guys I'm good now, let's eat! They....LITERALLY TURNED THE f***ING MANDARIN INTO A JOKE IN IRON MAN...WHAT.THE.ACTUAL.f***.

The legit best villian Marvel has ever put on the screen, big or small, is Purple Man in Jessica Jones. Even Fisk is more sad than bad. The issue lies in every single bad guy (except Hammer) being some sort of mutant or super powered or a crazy android.

Although, f***, I can read the shit out of Savage Wolverine. J-Mad's art with Wolverine is such raw power, it's just how Wolverine should look all the time.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah Killgrave was phenomenal. Toomes/Vulture from Spiderman Homecoming is probably my favorite from the movies. I actually really liked Ego too, in a completely ridiculous sort of way. He was just so perfectly over-the-top. The rest of the top villains are all probably guys who became non-villains like Bucky and Loki just because they were allowed to develop.

Wasting villains is definitely the Marvel movies' biggest weakness though. Especially considering how good of actors they have gotten for some of them. Followed by the need to add in jokes just a bit too often. I'm cool with them being in every movie, but some scenes just need to be let go without them.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't watch many documentaries, but Minding the Gap on Hulu is great. It's way more serious than I expected. I thought it was going to be basically a skateboarding doc, but that's really just the backdrop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad