OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@shoplifter @Humungus66871 @Tasty Biscuits

Re your GOT posts:

It seems like other people could extrapolate from your posts what happened to the Night King. And since this isn't solely a GOT thread I think it'd be best to put your post in spoilers. I know I'm not a mod but I did have some GOT episodes spoiled from people posting in an OT thread on here. I'd hate for that to happen to others.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think the ending could me stomached alot eaiser if there were some sense of loss. Jon is literally surrounded by hundreds of walkers but walks out. Brienne/Jamie have wights spilling over them, sam is just crying on a bunch of bodies. It doesnt make any sense that they survived. If you wanted them to survive, put them in safer positions or dont make the wights so OP. That episode had absolutely blatant plot armor, a total slap in the face. I can ignore plot holes because writing isnt easy but that shit was just dumb.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Like who's brilliant idea was to film this as dark as possible?

Probably blew the budget again and had no choice lol.

Supposedly it was to let the viewers experience how it would be to fight in that situation. Low visibility and terror...or whatever. Thing is, they could have achieved that by still letting us see what was happening. Helms Deep did all that perfectly.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I think the ending could me stomached alot eaiser if there were some sense of loss. Jon is literally surrounded by hundreds of walkers but walks out. Brienne/Jamie have wights spilling over them, sam is just crying on a bunch of bodies. It doesnt make any sense that they survived. If you wanted them to survive, put them in safer positions or dont make the wights so OP. That episode had absolutely blatant plot armor, a total slap in the face. I can ignore plot holes because writing isnt easy but that **** was just dumb.
The best way I've tried to explain to people that take issue with those criticizing the show for faults they disagree are faults is by trying to highlight that the show isn't real (I know right?). The events I may be criticizing didn't have to happen the way they did as you said yourself, and could have been written to play out in ways that would have made more coherent sense within the world the show has built, and I then would have no reason to criticize them.

I'm not criticizing the show because I dislike it, I'm criticizing it because I know it could be better. I'm holding it to it's own standards of the earlier seasons, partially unfair as they were based on actual book material, but that's not my problem. Their writers are paid to write coherent stories, with actions and reactions that make logical sense within the universe. If the results don't make any sense, I'm not just going to pretend they didn't happen so I can blindly participate in the hype and spectacle of the fandom. Some are able to, but I don't want to, and I shouldn't have to just to appease other people that do. The show writers are allowed to write a better plot, and when they fail to do so I'm allowed to criticize it, as long as I'm making rational arguments, which I believe I have.

That's my biggest pet peeve with current pop culture, you're apparently not allowed to not like things if they get too popular, you're just supposed to lap it up, hand over your money, bend over, thank them and ask for more. As if these people are owed my allegiance or something to their product they want me to pay for. It's so aggravating sometimes.

Honestly I shouldn't care as much about a dumb tv show as I apparently do, I've wasted enough of my day today debating on a hockey forum over a show about dragons, I could've been spending that time doing literally anything else and probably been better off for it.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Back to GoT for a second, what the **** are they going to do with the last 3 episodes now? I mean, everything feels sort of... unimportant now.
Yup. I think they're going to have to have Cercei do something egregious to elevate her and reel the audience back in.

I think it was written and directed by Michael Bay to be honest. It was confusing af and all over the place. Bigger budget is not always a good thing.

You two hit on something that really irritated me. There's value in trying to convey the confusion and chaos of battle that way, but you have to limit it. You have to make the named character scenes visible and easier to follow, especially with these huge battles. Sprinkle the chaos in and avoid jumping around too much. Otherwise it's just a pointless mishmash until the end where you find out who survives. Lord of the Rings struggled with this but did a much better job, IMO. It's really disappointing that GoT put so much time into it and still ended up with a clusterf***.
ETA: Forgot to quote @Malkinstheman 's last post too.

Reactions: shoplifter

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Supposedly it was to let the viewers experience how it would be to fight in that situation. Low visibility and terror...or whatever. Thing is, they could have achieved that by still letting us see what was happening. Helms Deep did all that perfectly.
Yeah there was a way to do it better than they did. There was a lot going on in those scenes and they chose to focus far too much on the confusion of night. We got that the moment jon and Danny were flying blind.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I hope Malick does a Star Wars movie to give the fans something REAL to bitch about. Imagine if he did TLJ. That scene where Luke tells Rey to reach out to the Force would've been 2 hours long. And then the cave she fell into... :laugh:

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

It was to let viewers know the experience of battling in a “fog of war” at night in less than ideal conditions. Which I have personally known. Drop all the fantasy. They were pretty accurate with lighting and abnormal situations that come with night combat.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It was to let viewers know the experience of battling in a “fog of war” at night in less than ideal conditions. Which I have personally known. Drop all the fantasy. They were pretty accurate with lighting and abnormal situations that come with night combat.
Bold move for a fantasy tv series to “drop all the fantasy.”

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I think they need to sprinkle some non-heroic deaths in there for recognizable characters. Just a regular stab in the neck or long range arrow from nowhere. I feel like they used to do that more often. Kind of flimsy for everyone to maximize their last couple breaths to take out a big threat.

Mild criticism though. Enjoying the season.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think they need to sprinkle some non-heroic deaths in there for recognizable characters. Just a regular stab in the neck or long range arrow from nowhere. Kind of flimsy for everyone to maximize their last couple breaths to take out a big threat.

Yeah I felt the same way as well.
If you have one of Gendry, Pod, Tormund, or Brienne (all who's arcs are completed) die gruesomely and unceremoniously like 10 mins into the battle, then you're immediately like "oh shit!" and the rest of the episode you're wondering who's next.

Also, everyone in the crypts (apart from Sansa and Tyrion) should've been toast.

Last edited:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think the ending could me stomached alot eaiser if there were some sense of loss. Jon is literally surrounded by hundreds of walkers but walks out. Brienne/Jamie have wights spilling over them, sam is just crying on a bunch of bodies. It doesnt make any sense that they survived. If you wanted them to survive, put them in safer positions or dont make the wights so OP. That episode had absolutely blatant plot armor, a total slap in the face. I can ignore plot holes because writing isnt easy but that **** was just dumb.

This was one of the handful of irritating issues I had with the episode. Jora leads the charge of the Dothraki that get completely snuffed out (heh) but somehow makes it back with a few scrapes, and on his horse no less. Brienne gets tackled by about 27 of them, but Jaime takes a swipe at one of them ten seconds later and somehow she's back up like nothing happened. Greyworm and his buddies literally get bowled over by a tidal wave of the undead. Then multiple scenes later he's there like nothing happened. For a moment there I thought they were taking a brutal approach, knocking some characters off right away and without prejudice, which would have better exemplified what they were up against, and arguably would've been more in step with the way the show had been to this point.

Totally agree as far as just placing the characters in different areas slightly away from the main action. It would've even made sense given how pretty much none of them are seen as normal grunts.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Just saw the GOT preview in the 30previews ad in the upper right corner ("now playing"). You guys weren't joking about the night battle sequence, we can't see shit! As someone already stated, LOTR's Battle at Helm's Deep is much better even if it's been 15 years. What the f*** were they thinking? Way to waste a big budget... I guess you need a giant screen with light adjustment way up?

Meanwhile i've already stumbled on a major spoiler without asking for it, grr... f***ing Web!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
About to play some 'Kingdom Come: Deliverance' on mah pc and cut off some bandit ears for cash money. Aint Feudalism a bitch for earning those dolla dolla bills.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Here's a spoiler for you: The Night King was actually a hologram of David Bowie, from his Razor and Tie tour.
Night King is so misunderstood. People need to give this guy a chance.

kzt6f5i8jjv21.jpg

Reactions: BladeRunner66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad