OT: Movies are basically flipbooks for adults (The Newly Annual Non-Pens Media Thraed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I do hope GRRM finishes the book. I have faith he will do better than people overlooking the dead in the crypts and forgetting to have a plan for burning the dead. Surely Tyrion or Sam would have made sure things of such vital importance were not forgotten. I mean, they spent years talking about it and then suddenly the characters forget such crucial details about their enemy? Come on.

Writing the characters into unwinnable situations is such amateur hour. They did that constantly and their solution was to just cut to another scene. Pod, Jaime, Brienne, Grey Worm, etc. were surrounded or up to their chins in the dead for a full f***ing hour and all of the lived? Yeesh.

The show dropped off once they outran the book material, for sure. Watching the "making of the episode" where the writers talk just reinforces, to me, that they never really understood what they were working with or are so full of themselves that they figured it was better that they put their own stamp on the story rather than write faithfully to the source.

Anyway. Now that I've gotten through my warm up to Barry, time to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Haven't ranted in a while.

About Endgame:
Fat dad-bod Thor was a funny gimmick. They should have done away with it before the final battle, though. That was frustrating. Also seeing Thor, who was at his peak of strength just a movie ago, be reduced to having a panic attack over talking to Jane was cringe. Very emasculating.

If Thor remains fat going forward, that's the death of Thor. We don't need body-positive superheroes. Fat, drunk, and unable to talk to women isn't ok. That shouldn't be a message. Yes, it's funny, and we all had a good laugh because of the context - but if Thor continues, he better be the old Thor.

And ya. Pretty much every scene with Capt. Marvel in what was the worst scene of the movie. Without a mega-movie like End Game around to hold her up (only way to see it before End Game was in theaters, couldn't watch at home), I expect every solo movie going forward to bomb horribly. She's just not interesting. No personality. No arch. Just destroys anything she wants, flies through giant war ships like they are butter. And all the females getting together, mid fight, for a pose... was beyond cringe, even my wife just busts out laughing when that happened. Just stop, Marvel. Playing "Just a Girl" over the final fight scene of Captain Marvel was enough. Stop beating us over the head with this female-empowerment shtick. I might not be allowed to have an opinion on it according to some people, but even my wife says it's making women look bad by how hard you are trying to make them look strong.

Black Widow dying was pretty heartbreaking tho. Maybe more than Tony. She -actually- showed female empowerment.I was pretty prepared for Hawkeye to make the leap... just made sense with everything he's done after losing his family. But not her. She was actually the strong women on the team. She had no real "super"power, she overcame an actual rough childhood and upbringing to become who she is (not just being told she couldn't play baseball cause she's a girl or whatever and was told to smile by a biker), and was badass female with a gun..... honestly, that's probably why she had to go. Guns = bad. Or maybe I'm just so cynical I see politics everywhere now.

But I really, REALLY dislike how they made Thanos very one-dimensional. They took away all his nuance and removed all doubt that he was the bad guy. Blue man bad. You could almost sympathize with Thanos before, and believe him in what he was doing was for the good of the universe - that he was willing to give up the only person he loved for what he knew for certain was the greater good. Very emotional. And that's why Infinity War was so good. Nothing was personal with Thanos. He respected Tony on Titan... let him live. He had honor. But in End Game... Thanos was just a generic bad guy. Really disappointing.

Rest of it though, pretty good. Not as good as Infinity War, but very satisfying.

About GOT S08E03:
*LONG SIGH*

8 long season of waiting for the Night King to arrive... and here he is. Finally!!

And just like that.... the writers resort the generic and overused "Let's put every single hero in a dire situation about to die, and right before the main villain is about to win (surrounded by his generals and massive army).... let's have -picks a name out of the hat- Arya pop out of literally nowhere and shank him."... just so they can have an absolute conclusion to wrap up a shortened season 8.

I like that Arya was the one to kill him... but like that? Really? CGI flying out of nowhere? Maybe she put on the face of a White Walker or something, sneaked up behind him... but literally no other White Walker thought it was odd that one of them was walking towards the Night King? Just seems so unbelievable.

I was fully expecting Bran right there to stand up, block the Night King's blow, do some moves, reveal himself as Arya, and kill the Night King... or maybe Night King kneels to Bran because Bran is the actual Night King. Idk... SOMETHING interesting. Not dues ex machina Arya from out of nowhere.

What was even the point of Bran, anyways? What was he even doing that whole time? He did his warg thing and checked out? What was he doing? Re-watching early seasons when the show actually had solid source material?

And the vast majority of the heroes lived the night. Sure. Ok. They killed off almost every character that doesn't have a beef with Cersei. Predictable, and I guess acceptable... but also a huge reason why the battle with Cersei should have happened first. Cersei being the end boss is really.... frustrating. Show started with the Night King creating his armies with a single purpose and with Cersei simply f***ing her brother. Just doesn't seem fitting, at all.

And what was that defense? Suicide the Dothraki horde (just adding thousands more to the dead's numbers right off the bat), trench behind the ground forces, no archers to volley from a distance, catapults on the front f***ing line... and even when the dead got to the trench, and were standing the motionless for an unknown amount of time, you didn't see anyone inside Winterfell firing on them. If this is how they are going to fight, they deserve to lose to Cersi.

I really feel like this show was neutered after the backlash HBO got when Melisandre burned Shireen alive. I think you can trace it back to there. You can see a very stark decrease in shock and unpredictability. I feel like HBO and their writers (free from source material) played it very safe from season 6 on. IMO, this episode, and a few others like how Petyr Baelish was handled (very poorly), are a result of not wanting to upset the newer, and larger fan base the show gained in the later seasons.

That's all I got for 2:30 in the morning. Probably pretty incoherent.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I came here to complain about the episode and ask why people are fawning over it but I see you all have it handled. :laugh:

Seriously. What was Bran doing, just flying some crows around? And yeah, the whole damn point was that the throne really doesn't ****ing matter. All the politics was just some stupid bs. The dead are coming! But now the dead are just defeated like that? Like I said, the action was entertaining, but they don't even pretend to be making the same show that they used to make. If these guys were writing the story from the start Ned and Robb would be fighting next to Jon.
I couldn't figure out what the hell Bran was doing. The best I could come up with is that when he used his power the night king couldn't resist coming after him. He said he always knows where he is but maybe it made him more enticing? IDK.

That was still part of the plan, right? To lure him there? Hard to tell from that mess.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@SHOOTANDSCORE @CheckingLineCenter @Ogrezilla

I gotta say boys, I'm a little surprised the episode is getting majority hatred .
I'm going to start an OT thread for this episode and the remaining eps including a poll for tonights episode --- Unless someone else would like to do it. I have to put baby girl to bed then I will launch it.

Like I posted, even I enjoyed it as I stated watching it and then all hell broke loose from my praise to me bitching to wifey about how frustrating the episode was.
All-in-all I did not expect this episode to take on the flak it is getting from posters here. i only checked IGN for review scores / dialog about it (because it is also a gaming site). They praised it and gave it a 9.5/10. Pfffffffftttttthbhbhbhb

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
@SHOOTANDSCORE @CheckingLineCenter @Ogrezilla

I gotta say boys, I'm a little surprised the episode is getting majority hatred .
I'm going to start an OT thread for this episode and the remaining eps including a poll for tonights episode --- Unless someone else would like to do it. I have to put baby girl to bed then I will launch it.

Like I posted, even I enjoyed it as I stated watching it and then all hell broke loose from my praise to me *****ing to wifey about how frustrating the episode was.
All-in-all I did not expect this episode to take on the flak it is getting from posters here. i only checked IGN for review scores / dialog about it (because it is also a gaming site). They praised it and gave it a 9.5/10. Pfffffffftttttthbhbhbhb

From my experience of reading and being annoyed at reactions to popular culture over the last few years, and I don't know how to say this without coming off incredibly pretentious or like the fat nerd from simpsons, I view the reactions to this episode largely fall into two camps of people.

1) The group that will love this episode are the people who are only really fans of the show because a lot of other people are and they want to be part of the popular group too. I understand this mindset, if your group of buddies are all talking about the latest episode of GoT in the coffee room every monday, you want to feel included in the fun no? It was the same for every other massively popular television show in the last decade or two. Breaking Bad, The Office, The Sopranos, Lost, etc. Same thing with internet reactions, you want to part of the thing everyone's talking about, what every blog is writing article's about, you don't want to feel left out do you? You don't really care about the deeper story or the setting's history, you just want to be entertained by shiny cgi, quippy dialogue, and over the top fan-service moments that you can meme about with everyone on twitter after the episode (YAS QUEEN SLAY!!11!). It's just dumb popcorn entertainment about magical dragons, just turn your brain off and enjoy it, don't be a debbie downer.

I realize how incredibly dismissive and smug that sounds so apologies for that, I've just read too many repeating versions of this same argument in recent years to not see a pattern.

2) The group that will hate this episode will largely hate it solely for the ending and are the people who are far more invested in the setting that the story is being told in than the group above. They'll be the ones who know the history's of the characters, the motivations behind various interactions based on established precedents, and overly care about events making actual logical sense within the confines of the story's own internal consistency more so than just the flashy battle sequences and occasional nudity. So they'll notice and be bothered by the small details that make no sense, that to the prior group will come of as incessant nitpicking and wanting to hate what's popular. Really in a way they're right, why are you investing yourself so much into a story to the point that every example of bad writing ruins the experience for you, when you could be spending your time doing anything else that you actually enjoy. I wish I could take that advice to heart at times because I wouldn't for example be wasting time writing this pointless drivel but oh well.

You can already see a backlash forming towards those who are critiquing the faulty logic of the ending on various forums for the show. I'm sure there will be plenty of blogs and "think pieces" over the next few days explaining why this episode was the best thing since sliced bread thanks to all the fan-service moments despite all logic being thrown out the window, empty spectacle and social media reactions are increasingly all that seem to matter nowadays. Feel like that's the deathknell for most well written properties nowadays, they start out being written for a niche audience who actually care, then if they outgrow the audience the creators cater to the new larger casual passerby's in an attempt to milk the property for as much as possible before it's 15 minites are up.

Really the Marvel movies mentioned are one of the only examples of this I can think of that seemed to maintain a level of quality despite it's audience continually rising to the point the original niche target audience was fully eclipsed by the lowest common denominator. There's problems with certain movies sure, but the overall above average quality (some reaching pretty unanimous excellence ) of the series I'd argue is pretty impressive considering how long they've been able to maintain it. GoT in comparison at least to me pretty clearly began a precipitous decline a few seasons back, not coincidentally as soon as the show-runners ran out of book material to write off of, which isn't in the end their fault, but a shame nonetheless.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Meh. It was certainly disappointing. Not even the best battle in GOT (Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards were both better). All the build up to it led to a big letdown. The writing has clearly fallen off since they passed the book material so we shouldn't be surprised.

Somebody mentioned that this was like the Battle at the Black Gate and dealing with Cersei will be their Scouring of the Shire and that makes sense. The show writers no longer have GRRM writing material for them so they're going to borrow heavily from The Lord of the Rings.

You knew the Night King was going to be defeated though. I'm not sure how any end to him couldn't be a letdown, really. Having him win would have been pretty epic but that wasn't going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No...**** that.
Listen...this is how I felt it was for me. Like you, I am a fan of the Marvel movies, but some of the shtick just felt old and the Russo tards made it feel like this was something unique and new, something no one would expect - Then they doled out the same **** with more deaths and a crazy stupid time travel plot device that...I mean, come on.

1. New Banner/Hulk was ****ing lame and stupid, again, too much of the jokey ****, like the dab? Ok I get it, it's all jokes for every ****ing thing with the Marvel movies, but I swear if they edited some of the dragged out dumb ****, this movie would have felt like it had more impact for me.
2. Thor, I get that stuff was finally getting to him, he got fat, the fat jokes kept coming the whole movie, it got boring.
3. The all female part, just felt shoe horned in and I didn't like that, it didn't feel organic to the story at all, just more crowd pleasing, I wish the Russo brothers spit on their hands before they stroked everyone the **** off with that little feminist bull ****.
4. The hawkeye/Ronin and Romanoff scene, felt dragged on, went too back and forth and I get they are a strong duo as friends, but man, half way through that scene you were already like ok I am not sad anymore.
5. Spiderman and Tony hugging, that hit me right in the feels.
6. Howard and Tony, another gut shot for me in the feels. Nicely done.
7. Cap in peggy's office, you can feel how hurt and sad he is that he didn't get a chance to see her.
8. Sam as Captain America? I mean, skipping Bucky right off to play up that card? I get they did that in the comics, but Buck was Cap too.
9. All the scenes of Tony as a father were awesome for me.
10. Good job starting with Barton losing his family, that was a gut shot, then it was a bunch of lame **** taint tickling with the non stop jokes.
Endgame
1. Hulk was pretty damn serious for most of the movie after his intro scene.
2. Were there any more fat jokes after Thor talked to his mom? Like I said though, probably a couple too many of those jokes. It's been one of Marvel's issues for a while. And I think it's fair to say that it was one of WW and Aquaman's issues as well.
3. We just never agree with this stuff. I just don't see anything to be upset about. Was it unecessary? Absolutely. Did it bother me? Not at all.
4. 100% disagree. Great scene. They were both handled incredibly well in this movie aside from not including BW in the funeral.
5,6,7. Yep, that was good stuff. The character moments have always been Marvel's biggest strength in these movies. Especially with Cap and Tony.
8. I don't mind it either way. But Sam in the movies is much more of a leader than Bucky. It fits the character they have for him better imo. But I wouldn't have minded either.
9. Agreed.
10. Really disagree. The movie was very serious when it needed to be. I thought this was the best they did in terms of knowing when to be fun, when to be funny, and when to just be serious.

And yet people nit pick the **** out of - Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam for less ****.
"People" nitpick everything. WW and Aquaman are both well recieved from what I can tell. Neither are perfect. Both suffer at parts from the same jokey-ness that Marvel falls in to sometimes. And WW really missed on the ending. It wasn't just a dumb fight, it undermined the point of the rest of the movie by making it Ares fault. Still a good movie, but it's a legitimately bad ending. Overall I think Aquaman struggled more with the jokes, but never fully fell flat either.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Haven't ranted in a while.

About Endgame:
Fat dad-bod Thor was a funny gimmick. They should have done away with it before the final battle, though. That was frustrating. Also seeing Thor, who was at his peak of strength just a movie ago, be reduced to having a panic attack over talking to Jane was cringe. Very emasculating.

If Thor remains fat going forward, that's the death of Thor. We don't need body-positive superheroes. Fat, drunk, and unable to talk to women isn't ok. That shouldn't be a message. Yes, it's funny, and we all had a good laugh because of the context - but if Thor continues, he better be the old Thor.

And ya. Pretty much every scene with Capt. Marvel in what was the worst scene of the movie. Without a mega-movie like End Game around to hold her up (only way to see it before End Game was in theaters, couldn't watch at home), I expect every solo movie going forward to bomb horribly. She's just not interesting. No personality. No arch. Just destroys anything she wants, flies through giant war ships like they are butter. And all the females getting together, mid fight, for a pose... was beyond cringe, even my wife just busts out laughing when that happened. Just stop, Marvel. Playing "Just a Girl" over the final fight scene of Captain Marvel was enough. Stop beating us over the head with this female-empowerment shtick. I might not be allowed to have an opinion on it according to some people, but even my wife says it's making women look bad by how hard you are trying to make them look strong.

Black Widow dying was pretty heartbreaking tho. Maybe more than Tony. She -actually- showed female empowerment.I was pretty prepared for Hawkeye to make the leap... just made sense with everything he's done after losing his family. But not her. She was actually the strong women on the team. She had no real "super"power, she overcame an actual rough childhood and upbringing to become who she is (not just being told she couldn't play baseball cause she's a girl or whatever and was told to smile by a biker), and was badass female with a gun..... honestly, that's probably why she had to go. Guns = bad. Or maybe I'm just so cynical I see politics everywhere now.

But I really, REALLY dislike how they made Thanos very one-dimensional. They took away all his nuance and removed all doubt that he was the bad guy. Blue man bad. You could almost sympathize with Thanos before, and believe him in what he was doing was for the good of the universe - that he was willing to give up the only person he loved for what he knew for certain was the greater good. Very emotional. And that's why Infinity War was so good. Nothing was personal with Thanos. He respected Tony on Titan... let him live. He had honor. But in End Game... Thanos was just a generic bad guy. Really disappointing.

Rest of it though, pretty good. Not as good as Infinity War, but very satisfying.

Endgame
The whole point of Thor's story was to show that he's basically emasculated. Maybe a couple too many jokes, but the overall story of it was great imo. And it won't be his future, at least not for long. He's accepted himself now after talking to his mom, and I don't think they made another joke about it again.

I like Capt. Marvel well enough, but she's definitely going to need to be fighting stronger things somewhere away from earth I think. I still don't have an issue with the women stuff though. A bit overdone, but it's fine imo. Unnecessary for sure though. Just show them fighting. Wanda and Capt Marvel are already two of the strongest characters, the scenes of them fighting was enough to get the point across.

Black Widow was great. ScarJo has done an amazing job in the last two movies especially.

This version being the same character we got in IW would have made no sense because he hasn't experienced the things that made him that character. Thanos is a different character before he gets the stones. He hasn't worked to get them yet. He hasn't sacrificed yet, so the respect isn't there. And this version also saw that he won, which made him even more arrogant. He wasn't a generic bad guy, he was the worst parts of Thanos. He is sympathetic in IW, but his plan was never good. He is a genocidal megalomaniac. This version saw that his original plan didn't work, so he made an even worse plan to destroy everything. The guy is mad. I don't think you were supposed to come away from IW thinking he might be right, you were just supposed to come away thinking that HE believes he's right and understanding why he believes it. He was definitely more interesting to watch in IW because of the nuance (and because he was basically the main character), but it wouldn't have made sense for him to be that same guy in this one.

Overall I think IW is the "better" movie. It's cleaner, less crammed, and more focused. Endgame is pure blockbuster, but it's a damn good one.

Last edited:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I thought GoT was one of the better eps, simply because it was pulse-pounding pretty much the entire way through. I had my issues with things here and there and could probably make a list of about 10 specific instances, but I was mostly enjoying myself too much to care. It was definitely a "popcorn movie" episode, but that has its merits.

My only worry now is keeping up the momentum. All of a sudden it seems like there's a long way to go for what's left, and it's unclear whether it will be as exciting.

Im really hoping they explain some stuff in the next episode.

1. What was the purpose of the Bran/Dany/Jon? They didnt do anything
2. It makes it kind of hard to care about Cersei now. So they just defeated an 8000 year old magical guy and now they have to fight an arrogant queen..
This episode left me with a million questions

You have similar critiques that I have.
1. Yeah I don't get Bran. I actually thought he would be the one to end the fighting. Thought he had something up his sleeve. I don't know what the point of the ravens was.

As for Jon and Dany, yeah same thing. It's like Dany realized 15 minutes after the fight began that "Hey this might actually be hard. Maybe we should use the dragons? But we'll only sometimes kill the dead. The rest of the time we'll sort of fly around in the snow and not be able to see." When they lit the trenches, why exactly was it a bad idea to just start torching all the dead that were literally the closest ones to the castle???

2. Pretty much what I alluded to above. I feel like this episode will be to the detriment of the overall series. I honestly think the more fantastical elements distract from the politics, which I think is the main draw of the show. You could take Bran's character out completely and I really wouldn't care for instance.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
From my experience of reading and being annoyed at reactions to popular culture over the last few years, and I don't know how to say this without coming off incredibly pretentious or like the fat nerd from simpsons, I view the reactions to this episode largely fall into two camps of people.

1) The group that will love this episode are the people who are only really fans of the show because a lot of other people are and they want to be part of the popular group too. I understand this mindset, if your group of buddies are all talking about the latest episode of GoT in the coffee room every monday, you want to feel included in the fun no? It was the same for every other massively popular television show in the last decade or two. Breaking Bad, The Office, The Sopranos, Lost, etc. Same thing with internet reactions, you want to part of the thing everyone's talking about, what every blog is writing article's about, you don't want to feel left out do you? You don't really care about the deeper story or the setting's history, you just want to be entertained by shiny cgi, quippy dialogue, and over the top fan-service moments that you can meme about with everyone on twitter after the episode (YAS QUEEN SLAY!!11!). It's just dumb popcorn entertainment about magical dragons, just turn your brain off and enjoy it, don't be a debbie downer.

I realize how incredibly dismissive and smug that sounds so apologies for that, I've just read too many repeating versions of this same argument in recent years to not see a pattern.

2) The group that will hate this episode will largely hate it solely for the ending and are the people who are far more invested in the setting that the story is being told in than the group above. They'll be the ones who know the history's of the characters, the motivations behind various interactions based on established precedents, and overly care about events making actual logical sense within the confines of the story's own internal consistency more so than just the flashy battle sequences and occasional nudity. So they'll notice and be bothered by the small details that make no sense, that to the prior group will come of as incessant nitpicking and wanting to hate what's popular. Really in a way they're right, why are you investing yourself so much into a story to the point that every example of bad writing ruins the experience for you, when you could be spending your time doing anything else that you actually enjoy. I wish I could take that advice to heart at times because I wouldn't for example be wasting time writing this pointless drivel but oh well.

You can already see a backlash forming towards those who are critiquing the faulty logic of the ending on various forums for the show. I'm sure there will be plenty of blogs and "think pieces" over the next few days explaining why this episode was the best thing since sliced bread thanks to all the fan-service moments despite all logic being thrown out the window, empty spectacle and social media reactions are increasingly all that seem to matter nowadays. Feel like that's the deathknell for most well written properties nowadays, they start out being written for a niche audience who actually care, then if they outgrow the audience the creators cater to the new larger casual passerby's in an attempt to milk the property for as much as possible before it's 15 minites are up.

Really the Marvel movies mentioned are one of the only examples of this I can think of that seemed to maintain a level of quality despite it's audience continually rising to the point the original niche target audience was fully eclipsed by the lowest common denominator. There's problems with certain movies sure, but the overall above average quality (some reaching pretty unanimous excellence ) of the series I'd argue is pretty impressive considering how long they've been able to maintain it. GoT in comparison at least to me pretty clearly began a precipitous decline a few seasons back, not coincidentally as soon as the show-runners ran out of book material to write off of, which isn't in the end their fault, but a shame nonetheless.

I'm sure you are correct on your assessments to some level, but I don't watch the show because it is popular. I don't watch Marvel movies and those are incredibly ' cool ' movies for pop culture to assemble and fawn over.
I'm sure I fit into some group if you want to label it, but honestly the show has fallen to shit since the earlier seasons - plain and simple.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Back to GoT for a second, what the **** are they going to do with the last 3 episodes now? I mean, everything feels sort of... unimportant now.

Yeah, I mean you spend so much time building up the white walkers and the night king, and all that children of the forest spiral shit... and then... this? And now what? Seems like such a big waste.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I mean you spend so much time building up the white walkers and the night king, and all that children of the forest spiral ****... and then... this? And now what? Seems like such a big waste.

I mean, the logical thing is to go back to the soap-opera power struggle part, but it just feels anti-climactic to me.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I mean, the logical thing is to go back to the soap-opera power struggle part, but it just feels anti-climactic to me.

Yep logically that would be all fine and good if the story was still set in a relatively realistic medieval setting like the early seasons (despite fleeting mentions of dragons/magic).

The reason that now doesn't work and would feel anticlimactic is because

A) they have just 3 episodes to resolve the whole series climax with and the final villain is a comparable peon compared to the one they just defeated.

B) characters like Arya and Bran still exist, one who's a magical master assassin who just killed magical zombie hitler with a jedi ninja flip through the air, and the other basically cripple neo from the matrix who can see/be everything/everywhere, and you're expected to feel tension when on the good guy side are those two walking plot contrivances, and on the other is a sloppy drunk with some sellswords and a giant crossbow.

I'm not exactly sensing the supposed threat here posed to the protagonists. Proper storytelling doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I wouldn't have made sense for them to fight Cersei first. That would have decimated their numbers and taken years to recover from. They didn't have time.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
That's correct, what the Others ultimately represented was time, as in they were the countdown timer that the story up to that point had to prepare for as they would force action on all who came in contact with them once finally on the move.

The problem is now that they're gone, there's no more rush to the next battle, thus there's no reason for the North to push South in any hurry while undermanned or ill prepared. They logically should hole up in any number of the allied northern strongholds, the remains of Winterfell, the Iron Islands, the Eyrie, hell they could sail back over to Essos for a while and recover their strength, there's literally no rush as Cersei isn't going anywhere and she has no more allies to gain.

They'll head south now to fight Cersei because the story needs to wrap up in just 3 episodes, not because it's the rational thing to do, which is my issue with the writing. They didn't have to force them into such strict time constraints as you mention. The Others could've shown up in the final episodes, not the first 3, but they chose to write it that way, and now they have to find a way to work without them, and I struggle to see how they will in a satisfactory manner barring the audience simply forcing themselves to ignore the lapses in logic. At that point sure, just sit back and enjoy the fireworks, which I'm sure will be enjoyable enough for most, possibly even me, I hope so at least.

I just wish for better, that's all, maybe I won't get it, I'll get over it eventually, I'm happy for those that already have.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And that's exactly what they did. Back to the soap opera. They built up and all they did was come to a resolution to the ever looming threat in a kind of lame way.

Seems familiar to me. Like they've done it in previous seasons and I remember I stopped watching. Maybe season 5?

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad