Most Underrated/Overrated Defensemen

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Has Tanev, Klefbom, and Brodie as overrated
Has Rielly as underrated

:help:

Lots of people claimed he was a 2nd pairing D all offseason LOL. He's been a strong top pairing D who has played as a great #1 for the team through this season so far.

I won't throw I told you so's until he does it at least for all this year, but yeah, I'd say he is under rated.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
There's a post barely a few above you that calls him only top-15. The chronic hate the guy gets around here is unbelievable. Blues fans have him pegged pretty well so maybe it's not apparent or visible to you, but you would think the guy is simply a middle of the pack #1 d-man on this forum.
I mean... top 15 is still good... Silly, but still good.

Being in the West and not a Canadian team definitely will skew peoples view of a player (trust me, I know... the Blues are the best team in the NHL right now with the best top line in hockey but all people want to talk about is TOR, MTL or Matthews vs. Name another player on a Canadian team) but I still don't feel like Doughty is overrated. Maybe you are right and its cause I am a Blues fan but I usually see him on most peoples list of top 5. Most people meaning other places than HF too.

Reactions: JHockey123

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Underrated - Krug, still Karlsson, Gudas, Pesce, Subban (people think he's Nashville's #4, just stop), Gardiner, Klingberg (more so last year when people thought his career was over because one bad season), Lindholm and Manson.

Overrated - Anybody who has hard usage and does nothing positive, but they're good because they have hard usage.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
"Being in the West and not a Canadian team definitely will skew peoples view of a player (trust me, I know... the Blues are the best team in the NHL right now with the best top line in hockey but all people want to talk about is TOR, MTL or Matthews vs. Name another player on a Canadian team)"

Yep...nail on the head. Blues will never get any recognition until they get a cup.

Canadian & large market teams or nothing

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I think its far to say Doughty is underrated on this site since almost no one seems to think he deserved his Norris and there seems to be a notion that he is only considered in the coversation as the leagues best dman because he is Canadian at a time when the other 2 in talks are Swedes...ya I dont get it either.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I think its far to say Doughty is underrated on this site since almost no one seems to think he deserved his Norris and there seems to be a notion that he is only considered in the coversation as the leagues best dman because he is Canadian at a time when the other 2 in talks are Swedes...ya I dont get it either.

So.... either you believe Doughty deserved his Norris and is the best defenseman in the league or you're wrong and under-rating him? Seems a bit of an extreme opinion but ok.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I don't think Orlov is underrated. His inability to take the next step is a big part of Washington's shortcomings.

Don't know where this is coming from at all, he took the "next step" and became a great 2D. I don't think there is another step for him to take.

If there's anybody on Washington who can be criticized for not taking the next step it would be Carlson, although he's been better so far this season than last.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Lol I'm pretty sure every d man that's relevant has been mentioned at least once in these threads.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Ekholm was not better than Ellis last post season.

Toews, Tarasenko, Getzlaf were completely neutralized by Ekholm-Subban, and they took the tougher matchups compared to Josi-Ellis. Ellis had an unsustainable shooting pace against the Blues, otherwise he was good but nothing special throughout the rest of the playoffs. Ekholm was far more consistent and effective.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I think a truly underrated defenseman is someone who other than his own fan base rarely gets recognition positively. So someone like Giordano and Klingberg. A truly overrated defenseman is someone like Burns who is rarely criticized irrationally (People who say he isn't good defensively are correct and actually still overrating him, because his defense is worse than simply not good).

Brodie, Weber, Josi, and Karlsson are the type of Dman who are either overrated or underrated and there doesn't seem to be an inbetween. Josi and Karlsson seems to be either a one dimensional Dman, or elite complete package according to the opinions of others.

I guess Nils Erik Adam Larsson seems to be one of the few overrated Dman as well. He gets too much credit.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Underrated:

Rielly
Nurse
Boychuck
Forsling

Overrated:

Parayko
Trouba
Gudbranson

member 105785

Lots of people claimed he was a 2nd pairing D all offseason LOL. He's been a strong top pairing D who has played as a great #1 for the team through this season so far.

I won't throw I told you so's until he does it at least for all this year, but yeah, I'd say he is under rated.

I think those people probably just hate the Leafs, or their fans, I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's a top pairing D

Underrated:

Rielly
Nurse
Boychuck
Forsling

Overrated:

Parayko
Trouba
Gudbranson

How could Gudbranson possibly be overrated? Everyone thinks he sucks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I think those people probably just hate the Leafs, or their fans, I'm pretty sure everyone knows he's a top pairing D

How could Gudbranson possibly be overrated? Everyone thinks he sucks.

Everyone online but apparently theres GMs who want his crappy ass

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Burns relies too much on other players and his shot for his offense.

lol "burns relies too much on his offensive skills from the defensive position for his offense from the defensive position" ... the f*** you want, crease crashing?
then you'll all be crying about 4th forward. burns is officially now underrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad