Most Underrated/Overrated Defensemen

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Overrated: Doughty Keith Faulk Burns Reilly Hjamerson OEL Klefbom Larsson Seabrook
Underrated: Pesce Flurey Hainsey Gio Ekblad Lindholm Pitrangelo Ekholm Fowler

Last edited:

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Most people's answers are just recency bias. Literally half the answers are

Player doing well this season=underrated

Doing bad=overrated

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
People underrated defensemen who are actually good, like Subban, Karlsson, Keith, Doughty, etc, but love to overrate vastly inferior guys like Risto, Slavin, etc. Makes no sense.

Guys like Doughty and Keith are actually underrated when comparing to Subban. Karlsson isn't in my opinion either under- or overrated, because he is one of the players you actually can call an franchise player. Sens without Karlsson are a different team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
How dare you. HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE GOD OF HOCKEY SIR! I GUESS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY, I MEAN COME ON! HE'S ELITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy gets so blustery because Slavin is a slam-dunk #1 and it is adorable. Every single thread. Is there an end-game here or are you just a butt hurt jelly monster?

Underrated: Haydn Fleury, Skjei, Pietrangelo
Overrated: Letang, Ristolainen, Brodie

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
i think that Keith and Doughty are over rated as Doughty yes is one of the best 2way dmen but i just see a lot better players than him and gets over hyped as the fact a lot of people call him one of the top 5 defensemen in the league. Doughty i think is a top 15 but not a top 5. Its kind of like Slavin. a few People are saying he is a top 5 defenseman in the league when he is not but its his potential to hit and people read it as he is a top 5 dman. its like small town gossip, it spreads everywhere and as it does the entire story gets changed around and like that people started saying he is overrated due to the fact people misread that as he is then didn't watch him to see how good he really was and how bad he really was.(this is coming from a carolina fan btw). I'm not saying Slavin is over hyped but i think a few people do and others dont. Keith i think WAS one of the best defensmen in the league but is getting out of his prime and during one of the canes games i believe was getting out skated very often by one of our players. Keith was a top 10 defenseman but not anymore and thats where i have my problem with Keith as people still rank him in the top 5/10 also meanwhile i see him as only a top 25 dman anymore. Same with Weber as he has gotten older and after that trade he also has started declining but nobody seems to notice as he still racks up some points.

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
Doughty only top 15??? It's amazing the lack of knowledge people have about defensemen that don't play for their team. Doughty has been amazing again this year for the Kings and probably has been the 2nd best dman this year behind Pie.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Underrated- Obviously guys like Burns, Subban, Weber, and Chara.
Overrated- Too many to count! Karlsson, Giordano, Hedman, Lindstrom, Bourque, and Kieth.
Elite- However there's only one elite defender that's ever played in the NHL, and that's Jaccob Slavin.
How dare you. HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE GOD OF HOCKEY SIR! I GUESS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY, I MEAN COME ON! HE'S ELITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What the hell?
That one's bitter because when asking about Slavin, not enough proper deference was given to Mattias Ekholm and, for that matter, everyone else who's ever worn a Preds sweater.

Some of us follow the Preds and can point to that as background information backing why we know Slavin is awesome. For others, though, apparently it's a source of insecure jealousy. :dunno:

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Alex Pietrangelo has been criminally underrated for the past 5 years.

If Shatty never played in STL, this guy would have a couple Norris trophies

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The overrated are the sheltered offensive guys like Shattenkirk, Gostisbehere, etc.

The underrated are the leafs' dmen.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

There's a post barely a few above you that calls him only top-15. The chronic hate the guy gets around here is unbelievable. Blues fans have him pegged pretty well so maybe it's not apparent or visible to you, but you would think the guy is simply a middle of the pack #1 d-man on this forum.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
Underrated: Joel Edmundson (He's been killing it this year defensively and has stepped it up on "O" as well if Piets wasn't a blue he'll easily be the best Dman on the team right now)
Overrated: Larsson (Most inconsistent #1 Dman in the league at the moment)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad