Most Underrated/Overrated Defensemen

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Underrated: Risto, Rielly, Nurse, Morrissey, Lindholm, Montour, Stralman, Ellis
Overrated: Hamilton, Brodie, Klef, Larsson, Gardiner, Buff, Manson, Tanev, Letang

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Letang has been absolute shit this season. He's nowhere near the player he was a couple seasons ago. Went through tough injuries and think he can get back to shape but he's definitely not underrated right now.

Same with Karlsson. Great player, best defensemen in the league hands down but right now he is not playing like he can. Again, tough injury and he will most likely get back to where he was but he's not there right now.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
Underrated: Ryan Suter, Erik Johnson
Overrated: Erik Karlsson*

*He's elite, but it seems he is declared as the Norris winner by some before the season even starts.
lmao you think karlsson is overrated. wow

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Underrated- Leddy, McDonagh, Ekholm, Skjei, Shatty, Krug, Schmidt, Orlov, Niskanen, Klingberg
Overrated- OEL, Carlson (not a 1D, I think people are realizing this now), Slavin, Klef (been saying this for a while, people were calling him a top 10/top 15 D a few months ago, LOL) Parayko, Hamonic, Rielly (when called a 1D), Braun, Tanev, Brodie

Brodie really isn't that overrated, at least thus far this season no one has said much positive about him, and he was legit elite in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
When people think Ellis is the MVP and the Preds best defensive player, Ellis is not underrated.

Most people think he's #4 behind Ekholm, Subban, Josi- which he probably is when they are all peaking. But really, he's played better than that if we're judging from last year alone, and easily the most consistent of the 4. Which says a lot, as consistency is a big part about denoting a d-man.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Most people think he's #4 behind Ekholm, Subban, Josi- which he probably is when they are all peaking. But really, he's played better than that if we're judging from last year alone, and easily the most consistent of the 4. Which says a lot, as consistency is a big part about denoting a d-man.

A lot of people consider Ellis better than Ekholm though. Ellis had one season better than Ekholm, and Ekholm was better in the playoffs that season as well.

member 105785

Underrated: Risto, Rielly, Nurse, Morrissey, Lindholm, Montour, Stralman, Ellis
Overrated: Hamilton, Brodie, Klef, Larsson, Gardiner, Buff, Manson, Tanev, Letang

Has Tanev, Klefbom, and Brodie as overrated
Has Rielly as underrated

:help:

Kase

May 1, 2016
Underrated: Ekholm, Leddy, Niskanen

Overrated: OEL, Faulk, Trouba

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Overrated: Provorov/Larsson
Underrated: Nurse/Sanheim

I'll just go with guys on the same team so I don't have to hear Philly and EDM fans ***** at me.
If you think Provorov is overrated you have never seen him play. It is an axiom.

Reactions: schnapshot

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Underrated- Leddy, McDonagh, Ekholm, Skjei, Shatty, Krug, Schmidt, Orlov, Niskanen, Klingberg
Overrated- OEL, Carlson (not a 1D, I think people are realizing this now), Slavin, Klef (been saying this for a while, people were calling him a top 10/top 15 D a few months ago, LOL) Parayko, Hamonic, Rielly (when called a 1D), Braun, Tanev, Brodie
I don't think Orlov is underrated. His inability to take the next step is a big part of Washington's shortcomings.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Underrated: Ryan McDonagh
Overrated: Jaccob Slavin
How dare you. HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE GOD OF HOCKEY SIR! I GUESS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY, I MEAN COME ON! HE'S ELITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
A lot of people consider Ellis better than Ekholm though. Ellis had one season better than Ekholm, and Ekholm was better in the playoffs that season as well.

Ah remember the days when Barry Trotz called Ekholm the worst defender he ever coached (or something like that) and look today, Ekholm is 1 of the best d-men in NHL and Trotz are haning on to his job with his last limbs...

Coaches should learn, that you take a offensive 2 -way D-man from Sweden, tell him to play more defense, and you get success....
Strålman, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Ekholm etc etc..
Next generation would be Hägg Lindholm etc etc...

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes