most overrated player?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If it's just one guy it's not the forum. I over-rate Torsten Mattuschka just because he's the awesomest player of his generation, and over-rate Kramer a little just cause he's the coolest player right now; but that doesn't mean the whole forum over-rates those two.

Rafael too.

In general Germans or players that play in Germany are overrated on here due to the amount of German supporters on here. Players like Gotze, Ozil, Volland and Draxler were hyped and didn't deliver to an extent.

Although, I would agree calling Kroos overrated(he is) because of an oddball isn't the best way to illustrate how overrated he is.

^^^ Pipita is definitely not overrated... he's a bottler and most know what he is.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
On this forum, Ronaldo, Kroos, Higuain, Kroos, Silva, Kroos, Ramos, Kroos, Modric, Kroos, Busquets, Kroos, Payet, Kroos, anyone remotely of Algerian descent :laugh: , Kroos, Kane for at minimum the last 48 hours, Kroos, Henderson, Origi, Firmino, Coutinho, Kroos, Weigl, Kroos, Benzema, Kroos, Hamsik, Kroos, Xhaka, Kroos, Dahoud, Kroos, Witsel, Witsel, Witsel... I'm sure I'm leaving a few guys out. Oh yeah, Kroos!

In general or out in the World, definitely Ronaldo.

On this board... Neymar.

This one struck as me interesting. I don't see a lot of discussion about him and most of it is disdain.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rafael too.

In general Germans or players that play in Germany are overrated on here due to the amount of German supporters on here. Players like Gotze, Ozil, Volland and Draxler were hyped and didn't deliver to an extent.

Although, I would agree calling Kroos overrated(he is) because of an oddball isn't the best way to illustrate how overrated he is.

^^^ Pipita is definitely not overrated... he's a bottler and most know what he is.

Rafael has been criminally under-rated. The corsi-community would hate BMG if they were a hockey team because they have dramatically outscored their expected goal returns for years with Rafael at the heart of their attack. And that statistically unrealistic efficiency in the opposing box disappears every time he's absent. Age is starting to wear down his body so that he's missed a lot more time this season than previously, but he has been ridiculously under-rated throughout his gladbach tenure by the public at large; and his refusal to move to bigger clubs when they've come calling solidified this.

Sure he's over-rated if you take my joke posts about 'Messi looking up to Rafa the GOAT' seriously; but the skill & impact he has are so vastly greater than his perception is...even inside germany.

As for the others do you mean they were over-rated as prospects or they are over-rated now? Cause their potential was massive. Draxler & Gotze stagnated because of bad career moves, and Volland hasn't taken that final step...so far...but Ozil became his generation's Riquelme, as he was hyped to be after the break through in South Africa; and Draxler has been killing it since making a move to a giant (finally).

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Kroos is underrated on this forum because all the posters who think he's super overrated post a lot more than WhiskeySeven. He's one of the best midfielders in the world.

There are fewer German fans than La Liga or EPL fans. Answers like this are dictated by the group of posters the respondent finds most annoying. Pretty sure someone on this forum has called every player from the German World Cup winning team overrated bar Lahm and Neuer. Yet they're all overrated or "didn't deliver".... hmmm

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Rafael has been criminally under-rated. The corsi-community would hate BMG if they were a hockey team because they have dramatically outscored their expected goal returns for years with Rafael at the heart of their attack. And that statistically unrealistic efficiency in the opposing box disappears every time he's absent. Age is starting to wear down his body so that he's missed a lot more time this season than previously, but he has been ridiculously under-rated throughout his gladbach tenure by the public at large; and his refusal to move to bigger clubs when they've come calling solidified this.

Sure he's over-rated if you take my joke posts about 'Messi looking up to Rafa the GOAT' seriously; but the skill & impact he has are so vastly greater than his perception is...even inside germany.

As for the others do you mean they were over-rated as prospects or they are over-rated now? Cause their potential was massive. Draxler & Gotze stagnated because of bad career moves, and Volland hasn't taken that final step...so far...but Ozil became his generation's Riquelme, as he was hyped to be after the break through in South Africa; and Draxler has been killing it since making a move to a giant (finally).

I said Rafael in a tongue in cheek. Don't think he's overrated at all.

But yeah, as prospects. We could make excuses for any young player that hasn't delivered but considering how hyped they were on here... it gets to be a pattern.

Draxler has been killing it? Great for 2 months.

There are fewer German fans than La Liga or EPL fans. Answers like this are dictated by the group of posters the respondent finds most annoying. Pretty sure someone on this forum has called every player from the German World Cup winning team overrated bar Lahm and Neuer. Yet they're all overrated or "didn't deliver".... hmmm

I think I can count the actual people who watch la liga in one hand.

But to continue to your overall post, I didn't say all German players were overrated. I meant most of their prospects were.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
But to continue to your overall post, I didn't say all German players were overrated. I meant most of their prospects were.

Which prospects were wrongly hyped? Not every player will fulfill their talent. That takes some luck finding the right club and right coach. Some German players have been overrated, but most are properly hyped.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
A forum with as many disagreements as this one can't really overrate anyone. There's definitely posters here who overrate Germans, just like there's players overrating other players of other nationalities, but then it seems like there's no real consensus on anyone.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
A forum with as many disagreements as this one can't really overrate anyone. There's definitely posters here who overrate Germans, just like there's players overrating other players of other nationalities, but then it seems like there's no real consensus on anyone.

There are lots of posters who refuse to recognize the talent of players who come from a league they aren't interested in watching - and who call players from that league that they never watch overrated. There aren't really players who are overrated by most of the posters here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Oh, there's definitely overrated players in leagues that I watch. Kroos is one of them. His role is very well masked by RM's other midfielders, and some of them deserve more credit than they get as a result of that.

He is basically the same player Xabi Alonso was. I would never say Alonso was a top five midfielder. There's actually a thread from ten years ago where I made very bad rankings, but even though Alonso played for my club I didn't rate him that highly.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Oh, there's definitely overrated players in leagues that I watch. Kroos is one of them. His role is very well masked by RM's other midfielders, and some of them deserve more credit than they get as a result of that.

He is basically the same player Xabi Alonso was. I would never say Alonso was a top five midfielder. There's actually a thread from ten years ago where I made very bad rankings, but even though Alonso played for my club I didn't rate him that highly.
Kroos was masked by Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, the German National Team, and Real Madrid's system. Clearly.

He's a much better dribbler and close-quarters ball control guy than Alonso, but whatever. I appreciate his skill and mentality.

If you don't think he's a top10 midfielder in the world, go on and name them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think he's top ten, not top five. It is also possible to have a top ten player still be overrated.

Also, look at how many trophies Xabi Alonso won. A good manager certainly can mask a player like that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not about masking a player but about building a team. People don't appreciate role players enough on a team regardless of how talented they are. If you are good enough at your role you can certainly be counted among the best midfielders or players of your position in the world. You definitely don't have to be able to do everything to be one of the best players in the world, either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That being said, if you wanted me to list ten midfielders I'd rather have it actually wouldn't be that hard.

Busquets, Kante, Vidal, Modric, Verratti, Gundogan (when he can play), Rakitic, Thiago, Weigl, Koke, Fabinho, Herrera, Hamsik (especially this season) and that's by no means extensive. Maybe I would take Koke or Rakitic out, but I doubt it.

It's not about masking a player but about building a team. People don't appreciate role players enough on a team regardless of how talented they are. If you are good enough at your role you can certainly be counted among the best midfielders or players of your position in the world. You definitely don't have to be able to do everything to be one of the best players in the world, either.

I get that, but his role is very specialized and I think there are better all around players out there. If course, if a person wants someone to stand there and ping the ball around that's their opinion and I respect that.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Ross Barkley. Never took that next step, or at least hasn't yet. General public, not this forum.

Pogba is simultaneously overrated and pretty reasonably rated. Some people hype him up as the second coming, but a lot of football twitter rips him to shreds.

Coutinho gets pretty overrated. Not here, but in general.

Nobody specifically comes to mind as overrated on the forum, just because we have so many disagreements about literally everybody :laugh:

Evilo's mention of Alpha Hendo cracked me up.

Higuain is very overrated in general.

On this board I'd say Varane, Luiz and Weigl.

You're clearly a newbie to this board :laugh: The past three years have been Evilo and I defending David Luiz from a perpetual barrage of bashing from pretty much everyone here. Since he's returned to Chelsea and been absolutely incredible, people are starting to turn around on just how good he is, but for the past couple years he's been very badly underrated on this board.

I'd argue actually that Higuain gets so bashed as overrated that he's almost underrated. The bottling criticism, while perfectly legitimate, hits a point where people pretend he couldn't hit the side of a bus if he tried to. Not on this board, necessarily, but in general.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Barkley is a good mention. Repeatedly hear on television about him being talented, but I don't think he's particularly talented. Somewhat skilled at best and I've watched him a ton.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Which prospects were wrongly hyped? Not every player will fulfill their talent. That takes some luck finding the right club and right coach. Some German players have been overrated, but most are properly hyped.

I can buy that Gotze was over-rated when people were running wild with the german-Messi stuff. He never had that kind of nose for goal; but he absolutely did have the potential to become an Iniesta-knock off; though it's better for the competitiveness of both the league and CL, I can't help but wonder how Pep would've developed him had Bayern been able to give him Neymar as well. Cause Pep kept trying to turn Gotze into the forward he wanted when he asked the board to get him Neymar. Maybe with Neymar there Mario could've been groomed into that midfield maestro he did have the potential to become.

But Draxler wasn't over-hyped, his potential was ridiculous and he still has all of the talent to become a german RvP; even after squandering the past few years of development. And Ozil has delivered on his promise, especially for the NT.

Volland stagnated at TSG after Firmino left...until Nagelsmann arrived last year...but he was never hyped as a superstar, and only started getting any hype after hitting the ground running at the senior level; dominating BuLi2 before instantly forming one of the league's deadliest duos with Firmino. And when his form dipped following Firmino's departure, that hype very quickly evaporated. In fact I had to defend him from a lot of BMG fans last summer when they were rumored to be battling Leverkusen for his signature.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Nah. He's the player some people think Xabi was. He has Xabi's long ball accuracy only he's a lot smarter, more aware of the opposition pressing, and better with his passing choices. And he's a lot less likely to make a dirty tackle, and is better at pressing and organizing his team's press. His defensive acumen is overlooked because of his lacking athleticism.

Busquets, Iniesta, and Modric among the current group of midfielders are the only players I'd clearly take over him. Others may be more well-rounded, but not always better. I strongly disagree with some of the names on your list of better mids.

I can buy that Gotze was over-rated when people were running wild with the german-Messi stuff. He never had that kind of nose for goal; but he absolutely did have the potential to become an Iniesta-knock off; though it's better for the competitiveness of both the league and CL, I can't help but wonder how Pep would've developed him had Bayern been able to give him Neymar as well. Cause Pep kept trying to turn Gotze into the forward he wanted when he asked the board to get him Neymar. Maybe with Neymar there Mario could've been groomed into that midfield maestro he did have the potential to become.

But Draxler wasn't over-hyped, his potential was ridiculous and he still has all of the talent to become a german RvP; even after squandering the past few years of development. And Ozil has delivered on his promise, especially for the NT.

Volland stagnated at TSG after Firmino left...until Nagelsmann arrived last year...but he was never hyped as a superstar, and only started getting any hype after hitting the ground running at the senior level; dominating BuLi2 before instantly forming one of the league's deadliest duos with Firmino. And when his form dipped following Firmino's departure, that hype very quickly evaporated. In fact I had to defend him from a lot of BMG fans last summer when they were rumored to be battling Leverkusen for his signature.

People calling Götze the German Messi was just lazy... every short but super talented attacker gets called the next Messi. You could watch him for one match and realize that he wasn't the same style of player as Messi at all.

I was trying to think if anyone here (including you) had said something ridiculously exaggerated about Volland but I couldn't remember anything.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
At best La Liga fans equal German fans and I'd say that's a really conservative statement.

Puzzling post by DM for sure.

all of them that underwhelmed.

Götze was overhyped... i still like him but he was. His glaring holes in his game are hard to miss. No where near the player he was projected to be.

As for the rest of them yeah, they were over hyped. You can make an excuse for every young player that bust/underwhelms.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not sure it's overrating, but looks like Kroos is getting overrated again. Knew it was gonna happen the second his name was mentioned.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nah. He's the player some people think Xabi was. He has Xabi's long ball accuracy only he's a lot smarter, more aware of the opposition pressing, and better with his passing choices. And he's a lot less likely to make a dirty tackle, and is better at pressing and organizing his team's press. His defensive acumen is overlooked because of his lacking athleticism.

Alonso was an extremely smart player and that was shown by his dirty play that he always got away with. He's only been sent off three times and when you consider all he's done, that's both impressive on his part and embarrassing for the official. They are the exact same player. The only difference between them is that RM is now better built to compensate for the weaknesses Kroos had, so he doesn't need to commit all the tactical fouls Alonso did.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Alonso was an extremely smart player and that was shown by his dirty play that he always got away with. He's only been sent off three times and when you consider all he's done, that's both impressive on his part and embarrassing for the official. They are the exact same player. The only difference between them is that RM is now better built to compensate for the weaknesses Kroos had, so he doesn't need to commit all the tactical fouls Alonso did.

They definitely aren't the exact same player. Alonso commits the same tactical fouls with Bayern, and Kroos didn't with Bayern or with Real. Alonso is more likely to make pointless long balls from the center of the pitch to wider positions that aren't any closer to goal. He is far more likely to be surprised and overwhelmed by the opponents' pressing. I've never seen that happen to Kroos. He's a very good dribbler under pressure.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well, apart from cgf and sometimes me, no one really spends time hyping up obscure or young German players. Mostly it's just Dortmund GDT and occasional Bayern posts.

Les habs, Mcsorely, the pens dude, Savi,least of the bunch and myself. Nobody else here is a predominate la liga watcher. We lost my favourite Viktors and the Finnish poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00