most overrated player?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Les habs, Mcsorely, the pens dude, Savi,least of the bunch and myself. Nobody else here is a predominate la liga watcher. We lost my favourite Viktors and the Finnish poster.

Yeah so it's mostly just Real and Barca bickering. Not much hyping of young players apart from maybe you. Not that there's much of that in the German thread either, which is my point. Viktors posted here like two days ago

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pogba is very overrated. Higuain is overrated. Ozil is overrated. Sanchez is overrated. Pretty much every Arsenal player is overrated, although I do like Koscielny and Bellerin. Lukaku is overrated. I can keep going. Schurrle is very overrated.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Pogba is very overrated. Higuain is overrated. Ozil is overrated. Sanchez is overrated. Pretty much every Arsenal player is overrated, although I do like Koscielny and Bellerin. Lukaku is overrated. I can keep going. Schurrle is very overrated.

If you're talking about this board, I don't think anyone here really rates Schurrle at all. I rated him pretty highly when he was at Chelsea, he was one of my favourite players we've had since I got into soccer, but it's pretty obvious he's declined pretty hard pretty quick. Buddy was killer at the World Cup though. I think he gets looked at pretty critically here, which is fair. Wider public? Maybe he's overrated, although I don't hear much about him.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
some of the names and peoples lists are slighty bias and are naming players who have no hype

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
If you're talking about this board, I don't think anyone here really rates Schurrle at all. I rated him pretty highly when he was at Chelsea, he was one of my favourite players we've had since I got into soccer, but it's pretty obvious he's declined pretty hard pretty quick. Buddy was killer at the World Cup though. I think he gets looked at pretty critically here, which is fair. Wider public? Maybe he's overrated, although I don't hear much about him.

Yeah, no one rates Schürrle. Not even the wider public as far as I know.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
some of the names and peoples lists are slighty bias and are naming players who have no hype
If I was really biased I wouldn't rate a Manchester United player over a German one.

Or an Everton player as in the discussion yesterday.

What I do have is a player type preference but so does everyone else.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I was talking more about his transfer fee.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't particularly like "overrated" threads, as they generally turn to crap and people start picking on players they don't like or teams they don't like.

At least in an "underrated" thread, people pimp out their own players (generally) and you get to hear about certain qualities of some players you didn't see in them before.

So, I'll go with underrated.
Sami Khedira, at this point.
On this board specifically, Higuain. He's had one bad game (vs Barca), other than that, he's been lights out for Juve.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
On this forum most players from the Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga are overrated because those are the leagues most of the posters here watch and support.

More generally players who are currently playing and in good form are overrated through recentism. Players who played and were good or great 6 months or 2, 5, 10 or 25 years ago are instead ignored or forgotten.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The past three years have been Evilo and I defending David Luiz from a perpetual barrage of bashing from pretty much everyone here. Since he's returned to Chelsea and been absolutely incredible, people are starting to turn around on just how good he is, but for the past couple years he's been very badly underrated on this board.

Sure, but now Luiz is getting overrated again.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
On this board I'd say Varane, Luiz and Weigl.

Luiz? :laugh:
It'll take 10 years before he's overrated on this board after all the crap he took for two years after the WC (even though he was back to his best level 3 months later).

This one struck as me interesting. I don't see a lot of discussion about him and most of it is disdain.
Knew you'd bite :D
I find him overrated overall, not particularly on this board.
The guy's awfully talented, but to talk about him as the new Ballon d'Or seems completely off to me.
He isn't playing better than many players this year for instance.
Hazard has been just as good but is the sole offensive weapon on his team.
Neymar's off days aren't particularly noticeable because Messi or Suarez will shine.
When a guy like Hazard has a day off, his team fails.
There are other players, it's just Hazard coming to my mind, but Dybala, Lewandowski, Cavani, Bernardo Silva, and some others are nowhere near talented as he is, but IMO wouldn't produce much less on that Barca team (baring style of player of course) and are key to their team succeeding.

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Higuain is very overrated in general.

On this board I'd say Varane, Luiz and Weigl.

If anything Higuain is underrated. People look at his missed chances with Argentina in big games, which is not wrong, but the guy is a legit top notch goal scorer, extremely hard worker and has a nose for the net that very few other strikers have.

Last edited:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Doing EPL only, cause I really dont get to watch enough other leagues

Henderson - dont' need to explain this
Aaron Ramsey - "will this be the year Barca swoops in for him?"
Smalling (he sucks)
Dele Alli is approaching very overrated after the stupid memes of last week.

On Rooney, cause a couple people brought him up. I feel like the last few years Rooney has been massively overrated. He's been done for awhile. He did not age well at all, self-inflicted too. But man, peak Rooney was absolutely unbelievable. I brought him up as a Alli comparison in the EPL thread, b/c he played 2nd striker/AM his first few seasons at United. Much better to compare Alli to that than matching goal numbers against Beckham by age.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, nobody in this thread could be classified as a passenger so far. Nobody ever rates players like that. Not like we're talking about Bolo Zenden in the CL Final here. That's something I'll never forget for the rest of my life.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He sure as hell wasn't a passenger when Bayern won the treble or when the NT won the WM.

When-dinner-conversation-turns-politics-you-bite-your-tongue-about-controversial-issues.gif

Passenger might be a bit too harsh a word. He's definitely a catalyst for a certain aspect of any good team. But on a one-dimensional scale that ranges from "passenger" to "driver", I too have him as a player relatively close to the passenger side for a top-level player ever since he came back from Leverkusen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad