Most Overrated Drafted Prospects

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
His team drafts Dach. (gee I better bash the other two prospects my team should have taken.)
Wrong. Turcotte had injury issues and if Byram was as good as everyone said he was he would have been in the discussion with Hughes for 1OA. I always thought Byram was overrated, even before the draft. I liked Turcotte, but he had too many injuries for me to want to consider him at 3rd.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Wrong. Turcotte had injury issues and if Byram was as good as everyone said he was he would have been in the discussion with Hughes for 1OA. I always thought Byram was overrated, even before the draft. I liked Turcotte, but he had too many injuries for me to want to consider him at 3rd.
Literally no one said Byram was good enough to be a 1OA. No one even said he was in the conversation for number 2. You could make the argument that people picked him as the for sure number three when it was really close to a toss up but what your claiming about people hyping him as a number one quality prospect just didn't happen.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Literally no one said Byram was good enough to be a 1OA. No one even said he was in the conversation for number 2. You could make the argument that people picked him as the for sure number three when it was really close to a toss up but what your claiming about people hyping him as a number one quality prospect just didn't happen.
Of course it didn't. That's why I didn't think he was worth a top 3 pick. I wouldn't pick a defenseman top 3 unless there was an argument to be made for that player to be picked 1OA.
I'm also partial to big, RHS centermen so I really liked the Dach selection.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Surprised to see Poehling's name so much here, he's never been considered a high end prospect... On the Habs board the consensus has always been he has 3rd line center upside.

If he becomes more than that it makes him underrated.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Of course it didn't. That's why I didn't think he was worth a top 3 pick. I wouldn't pick a defenseman top 3 unless there was an argument to be made for that player to be picked 1OA.
I'm also partial to big, RHS centermen so I really liked the Dach selection.
OK. That sounds more like your personal preference how you think teams should draft than Byram being way overhyped.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
OK. That sounds more like your personal preference how you think teams should draft than Byram being way overhyped.
No, I actually think Byram is overrated. I think he's the next Erik Johnson IMO. A lot of defensemen went higher than I thought they should have in the 2019 draft. I thought Byram was in the 7-10 range personally. He's a decent prospect, but not a top 5 pick IMO. If he were a year older he would have been behind Boqvist, Hughes, and Dobson on my list. Byram is a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman but I think it's not likely that he becomes a top pairing guy. I could see him topping out as a strong #3.

Last edited:

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
No, I actually think Byram is overrated. I think he's the next Erik Johnson IMO. A lot of defensemen went higher than I thought they should have in the 2019 draft. I thought Byram was in the 7-10 range personally. He's a decent prospect, but not a top 5 pick IMO. If he were a year older he would have been behind Boqvist, Hughes, and Dobson on my list. Byram is a safe bet to be an NHL defenseman but I think it's not likely that he becomes a top pairing guy. I could see him topping out as a strong #3.
OK. You made it sound earlier like people were hyping him to be comparable to Hughes. If you thought he should have been closer to ten then I understand where your coming from.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
OK. You made it sound earlier like people were hyping him to be comparable to Hughes. If you thought he should have been closer to ten then I understand where your coming from.
You misunderstood what I was saying. I said that because he wasn't in the Hughes/Kakko conversation it made me question his upside a bit. In doing so, I came to my conclusion.

Reactions: Mac Attack

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Connor Timmins is actually underrated in my opinion. He just cracked the Avs roster (beating out Byram), after missing an entire season of hockey.
That's more about Bowen Byram being overrated, though. Although I guess he's not valid for this thread's purposes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Surprised to see Poehling's name so much here, he's never been considered a high end prospect... On the Habs board the consensus has always been he has 3rd line center upside.

There is no consensus about Poehling's upside being a 3rd line center. Thats his floor.
His upside is still something like Jordan Staal, O'reilly (before his breakout season last year) or a more skilled version of Danault.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Poehling as always been underrated, Only reason why he's considered overrated is because he won the WJC MVP, Scored an hattrick in his NHL debute. I don't even think Habs fans overrate him at all, he's a victim of 2 big achievements that is delusional to think he'll deliver for, so people ASSUME we have these expectation. Poehling can still become a great 2C and possibly a 1C depending on the types of players he plays with. One thing is sure, he has much more offensive abilities than most think.

Reactions: Fixxer

Dump and Chase Demon

Sep 14, 2018
Sweden
Would y'all consider Henrik Borgstrom overrated?

I don't think he's overrated in the sense that compared to a few names mentionned earlier he was not that hyped up.

Still a lot of work to do but he has shown glimpses of offensive wizardry and he apparantly worked a lot on his skating this summer which was a weakness. And he has fellow Finn and captain Barkov to help him grow his game

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Quinn Hughes got a lot of votes in this thread-

Quinn played over 23 minutes in his season debut - over 10:00 in the 3rd period. As always, skating and puck movement looked elite. Paired with Tanev they dominated possession and shot share.

Really surprised how many people think Hughes is overrated. Can’t help but think he’s in the Calder race this season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Quinn Hughes: A complete rover of a defensemen. He’ll be one of the best skaters, stickhandlers and playmakers in the NHL, but he wouldn’t know where the defensive zone is if you put up a sign for it. I also don’t like his hockey IQ at either end of the ice. He’ll put up a lot of points, but will give plenty back, and be a low end NHL’er.

ladies and gentlemen on hfboards.com I present to you Pavel Buchnevich. This is an example of a user having an opinion on a player he hasn't watched before.

Dbossman

Jan 15, 2016
Five players come to mind.

Quinn Hughes: A complete rover of a defensemen. He’ll be one of the best skaters, stickhandlers and playmakers in the NHL, but he wouldn’t know where the defensive zone is if you put up a sign for it. I also don’t like his hockey IQ at either end of the ice. He’ll put up a lot of points, but will give plenty back, and be a low end NHL’er.

Hayton: Another player whose hockey IQ I don’t like. It’s not that bad, but it’s a lot worse than the reputation it gets, in my opinion. He’s above-average across the board, but I don’t see the talent in any part of the game to be more than a 2C.

Samorukov: Classic case of an older CHL’er dominating in his last year in the league. I’ve always thought he’d play in the NHL, but I don’t buy that he has high upside. I don’t like his puck skill or vision.

Poehling: Another who will play in the NHL as an average player, but low-end upside. Small sample sizes don’t prove high upside over mediocre play in high sample sizes. I even think he’s getting the benefit of the doubt for his NCAA play in a way that others don’t get.

Zadina: Everyone overrated this guy to some extent. He’ll be a top six guy, maybe a top line guy, but I think he lacks the high-high end upside. Mediocre skating, size isn’t the advantage most thought it might be, not a line driver.
Wow you don't have a clue about Quinn Hughes this kid is the real deal

Dbossman

Jan 15, 2016
Quinn Hughes got a lot of votes in this thread-

Quinn played over 23 minutes in his season debut - over 10:00 in the 3rd period. As always, skating and puck movement looked elite. Paired with Tanev they dominated possession and shot share.

Really surprised how many people think Hughes is overrated. Can’t help but think he’s in the Calder race this season.
These suckers don't know who he is

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Oh man, this list was made for Casey Mittelstadt.

He had 1 great tournament, and then a dumb GM received the confidence to trade a Selke center and hand Casey the reigns.

(It didn't work)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I understand going for a swing for fun in this thread, But quinn hughes had no chance he was going to struggle being a regular with the way he skates.

As we see now after 10 games, He basically looks already like the best Vancouver Canuck alongside EP40
Hughes has been excellent so far this year, not sure how anyone can say otherwise..even his play away from the puck has been better than I thought it would be..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad