Most Overrated Drafted Prospects

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
1. Nolan Patrick -- he's a lemon of a player and his upside isn't all that great even if healthy. A poor 2nd overall pick. I said he was snake oil prior to his draft and wished the Flyers passed. They could have had Heiskanen, Pettersson or Makar instead of him and they would be far better off.

2. Even Bouchard -- Just not a fan of this kid. He has a nice shot and some skill but he is extremely lax and has no jam or intensity whatsoever. There's just something about him that I never liked as a prospect.

3. Filip Zadina -- I really liked him in the World Juniors a couple of years ago, but after watching him in camp and preseason since he was drafted, he just looks average at the very best. The more I watch him, the less impressed I am by him.

4. Eeli Tolvanen -- Another prospect who I really liked coming out of the draft, but like with Zadina, the more I've watched him, the less I like him.

5. Ryan Poehling -- Quite honestly, he never impressed me as a high end prospect. I always felt he would be a "decent" NHLer who is good but nothing special.

We can't never know would Hextall taken Heiskanen or Pettersson or Makar instead of Patrick.
I don't know what was the main reason why Flyers selected Patrick 2nd overall in 2017 draft.

But Hextall had good contacts to Brandon Wheat Kings WHL team.
So maybe that was one reason behind that decision.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't see how Maddens name can be brought up. He was a third rounder...if you get any NHL time out of him that's a win.

I wouldn't give up on Mittelstadt yet, but I agree that he should've spent another year in college.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
We can't never know would Hextall taken Heiskanen or Pettersson or Makar instead of Patrick.
I don't know what was the main reason why Flyers selected Patrick 2nd overall in 2017 draft.
But Hextall had good contacts to Brandon Wheat Kings WHL team so maybe that was one reason behind that decision.

Might have had something to do with him being the overwhelming consensus #2 choice (he was ranked #1 up until around Feb of his draft year IIRC).
Pettersson? Give me a break. Canucks fans were going nuts that they passed on Glass.

The only recent times a top 3 pick was really in debate leading up to the draft were Drouin over Jones and Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk/Zadina.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Might have had something to do with him being the overwhelming consensus #2 choice (he was ranked #1 up until around Feb of his draft year IIRC).
Pettersson? Give me a break. Canucks fans were going nuts that they passed on Glass.

The only recent times a top 3 pick was really in debate leading up to the draft were Drouin over Jones and Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk/Zadina.

Dubois over Pulju as well

Reactions: DaveG

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Virtually any draft pick selected by John Ferguson and Brian Burke.
Trading up to get Tyler Biggs.....Anaheim selected Rakell and Gibson with those traded picks.

What does this have to do w anything? None of these guys are even remotely prospects anymore. Seems more like a random dig.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
As a Panther fan, I'm not the surest that Denisenko's style of play will translate to the NHL.

I think Tolvanen is (or was when he was in the KHL) overrated, but could become a 2nd line complimentary sniper.

Oliver Wahlstrom, another potential middle 6 sniper, but not top liner.

Kieffer Bellows I always thought was overrated, especially after a big 2018 WJC. I don't think he has the smarts or play-driving ability at all.

Tyler Madden, don't think he's much more than a 3rd liner, but for a 3rd rounder I guess you can't complain about that.

Morgan Frost, Akil Thomas, Ryan Merkley, Vitaly Abramov. Basically many CHLers that have high point totals in junior. A lot of play styles, especially Thomas, I think will not successfully translate to the NHL. I'm weary of a lot of CHLers because of that.

Glad Craig MacT was let go, I'm hoping Denisenko's new coach will give him a longer lease and more TOI.
Don't know how good Loko is suppose to be this year but they're off to a rough start.
I think he's got the speed and vision/IQ that will translate but he does puckhog a bit for my liking, reminds me of Trocheck a bit in that way. What are your major concerns with him?

He will need to continue to work on his defensive play but middle 6 winger is a safe bet and top 6 is his ceiling. Hope he comes over to North America next year and gets some top 6 minutes in the AHL.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Regarding Tolvanen: That goal scoring streak in the KHL was probably the worst thing for him in regards to expectations people had for him.
He's still trending to be a top 6 forward for us; he's worked on his skating, built strength and slimmed down this summer.

His coaches in the AHL also asked him to focus on the little aspects of the game, especially away from the puck, last year. So when he didn't put up big numbers in the AHL, I think people just thought that he was close to busting despite him just turning 20 this year.

He's still tracking well, but because of that streak people forget he's was still a late 1st that had weakness he needed to work on.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
2 guys who are sort of similar to me but I feel get overrated are Rob Thomas and Morgan Frost. Both guys seem to be decent to good bets to be solid middle 6 centers but the way I see people talk about them you think they will be all star first liners

I can understand that. The problem with Frost is that his style and progression is so eerily similar to Giroux that fans can't help but think he's the second coming.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Demko. Don't get me wrong he has talent but I think his fundamentals, his tracking, and his lateral movement leave a lot to be desired.

Not really a big Tolvanen guy either but I dunno if he's really overrated anymore.

It's funny because I think Demko's tracking is one of his strengths. He played a game last year where he stole the game and his tracking was one of the things that stood out to me, especially when there were a lot of bodies around the crease and he was already down.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Don't see how Maddens name can be brought up. He was a third rounder...if you get any NHL time out of him that's a win.

you don't see how player ratings update as they play after they get drafted? That's...strange. It's pretty simple.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can understand that. The problem with Frost is that his style and progression is so eerily similar to Giroux that fans can't help but think he's the second coming.

Not dismissing Frost, but the weakness in this thinking is the fact that Giroux's exponential development towards superstardom kind of happened later as an NHLer, so a similar junior resume doesn't imply much. So to put it another way, Morgan Frost needs to really break out in year three of his NHL career to come close to what Giroux did.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Where did this idea that Poehling is considered a high-end prospect come from? Most Montreal fans would be thrilled if he had a Jordan Staal-like impact

Reactions: Grabner and Fenris

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Glad Craig MacT was let go, I'm hoping Denisenko's new coach will give him a longer lease and more TOI.
Don't know how good Loko is suppose to be this year but they're off to a rough start.
I think he's got the speed and vision/IQ that will translate but he does puckhog a bit for my liking, reminds me of Trocheck a bit in that way. What are your major concerns with him?

He will need to continue to work on his defensive play but middle 6 winger is a safe bet and top 6 is his ceiling. Hope he comes over to North America next year and gets some top 6 minutes in the AHL.

I get the vibe he actually won't succeed in the NHL as much as people think because he's a more difficult guy to play with. A guy that needs the puck on his stick to make a difference, rather than finding holes in the defence to make it easy for teammates to find him.

I could be totally wrong though, but that's the feeling I get when I've seen him.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
But Hextall had good contacts to Brandon Wheat Kings WHL team so maybe that was one reason behind that decision.

We can never know if this was supposed to be a serious post

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think Ryan Poehling
Poehling's a great example. Two good but not great seasons in college but after he had a great WJC vs teenagers as a 20 year old 6'2 210lb grown man the hype got really out of hand IMO.

On the Habs board I once said I think he probably pans out as a Lars Eller tier player. By that I mean "a strong two way 3C who can fill in as a 2C", and I got a ton of replies saying it would be a huge disappointment if Poehling is "only" as good as Lars Eller. If a 25th overall pick who scored 8 goals in college in his D+2 season panning out as a 35-40 point cup calibre 3C who can step up to the 2nd line in a pinch is a "disappointment" then I think the hype is getting out of hand.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Poehling's a great example. Two good but not great seasons in college but after he had a great WJC vs teenagers as a 20 year old 6'2 210lb grown man the hype got really out of hand IMO.

On the Habs board I once said I think he probably pans out as a Lars Eller tier player. By that I mean "a strong two way 3C who can fill in as a 2C", and I got a ton of replies saying it would be a huge disappointment if Poehling is "only" as good as Lars Eller. If a 25th overall pick who scored 8 goals in college in his D+2 season panning out as a 35-40 point cup calibre 3C who can step up to the 2nd line in a pinch is a "disappointment" then I think the hype is getting out of hand.

The general expectation for Poehling has pretty much always been that of a middle six player.

But if we're playing the comparison game, his playstyle is a lot closer to Danault's than it is to Eller's. And he seems more naturally gifted than Danault.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'm sorry but you haven't seen Suzuki much lately if you think he has skating problems.

We can agree to disagree I guess, I could end up wrong, he's had a pretty good pre-season so there's that.I do think a lot more highly of Poehling (maybe with less upside but definitely fit-wise as a center). I placed more emphasis on the skating aspect back to their draft year then I have in present time.

Poehling ending up as a Lars Eller would be excellent at his slot. Ellers was criminally underrated when on the Habs, was very, very good in the Caps run....and is probably one of the best #3C's in the NHL

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
On Poehling: Yes, the hype train got out of control but a lot of that is due to him being drafted at the end of the 1st round and I think he's certainly outperformed that draft position. I'll say this about Poehling though, everywhere he's played he's been just about the best player on the ice, decisively so at the WJC but also in the NCAA as well. He's very good at everything, he has elite hockey sense and has a chance to be sort of Bergeron without the scoring upside(Elite penalty killing defensive oriented 2C) but he may surpride some with his offense given his propensity to always have the puck. If that ends up being true, the hype is well deserved, isn't it?

On Patrick: Given the injuries, its seems harsh too judge him too much and he never should have started his career in the NHL, he wasn't ready. Having said that, he does not seem offensively gifted enough to justify the draft position or to hope for much more than a 3C.

On Zadina: I still think he will explode at some point, he's too gifted around the net and while I acknowledge that he has produced anything like an elite winger yet, I still believe he gets there. I see him, if he figures out the NHL game as having the talent to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. Big, strong, great nose for the net and an elite shot, I still think it happens for him. Consistency has obviously been an issue for him as well, maybe he grows out of that issue?

On Tolvanen: He'd better score a bunch because he doesn't do much else.

Puljujarvi: I just think he's a bust an ends up ultimately back in Finland or the KHL.

Reactions: Gravity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad