Most Overrated Drafted Prospects

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He played 5th most in the league last season. 8th in point shares, 7th in quality starts. Ahead of Vezina finalists Robin Lehner & Ben Bishop in both categories.

How many games have you watched the last year or so?

The fact that he was ahead of Lehner and Bishop in those categories says a lot about your perception of those categories.

And naturally, goalies who play a lot will have high point shares.

I don't mean any offense, but Canucks fans really think this guy is a great goalie? Their team will be a lot better when they get someone good.

Reactions: JackFr and FlyguyOX

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The fact that he was ahead of Lehner and Bishop in those categories says a lot about your perception of those categories.

And naturally, goalies who play a lot will have high point shares.

I don't mean any offense, but Canucks fans really think this guy is a great goalie? Their team will be a lot better when they get someone good.

I don't think you've watched the Canucks play enough. They haven't been a good defensive team, and had one of the worse defense's last year. Markstrom has been the difference in alot of games this year & last. Goaltending isn't the issue with the Canucks. Its been more of a strength this year really.

If GSAA is the 1 stat that determines who's good & bad then Gibson & Holtby must be mediocre goalies too because Markstrom is ahead of them. To me that stat has value but not all teams are equal to play behind.

We can agree to disagree. Kind veered off the thread topic here.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't think you've watched the Canucks play enough. They haven't been a good defensive team, and had one of the worse defense's last year. Markstrom has been the difference in alot of games this year & last. Goaltending isn't the issue with the Canucks. Its been more of a strength this year really.

If GSAA is the 1 stat that determines who's good & bad then Gibson & Holtby must be mediocre goalies too because Markstrom is ahead of them. To me that stat has value but not all teams are equal to play behind.

Gibson has been bad this year, but not in previous years. Holtby has been trash for a while, but plays for a powerhouse team.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

I agree that GSAA is not the right stat to use because it mostly just benefits goalies who play a lot of games and face a lot of shots. Goals Saved Above Expected, though...

Markstrom has a mediocre 0.920 at even strength and has allowed 0.6 goals above expected. Not bad, but also not great. Average. I don't think goaltending's the problem in Vancouver, but I also don't think it's the silver bullet a lot of Canucks fans say it is. Demko's been stronger than Markstrom so far this season statistically.

Back on topic, I disagree with the people shit-talking Hughes. He's fantastic.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad