Most Overated propsects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseOAK*

gretzky99 said:
I have seen Carlo play around 10 times (AHL and WJC). He is a very good offensively minded defencemen, however his defensive skills are mediocore at best. I still can't get over that cough up he made back in the WJC (2 or 3 years ago), ended up costing us the game if I remember correctly. Anyway, In my humble opinion I believe that Carlo will never be a top - 4 defenceman, his short commings in defence will hinder him.

*If you are just going to give me some lame ass refutation such ass, I have seen him more and bla bla bla, don't bother because you will have proven nothing.

Gee, he made a mistake when he was 18 or 19. I bet no defenceman has ever done that before.

Right now he is playing 30-35 minutes, against the other teams' best player, PP, and PK. He is the man on defence at the age of 21 and was for most of last season too. His defence is just fine and getting better according to his coach.

leafaholix*

gretzky99 said:
I have seen Carlo play around 10 times (AHL and WJC). He is a very good offensively minded defencemen, however his defensive skills are mediocore at best. I still can't get over that cough up he made back in the WJC (2 or 3 years ago), ended up costing us the game if I remember correctly. Anyway, In my humble opinion I believe that Carlo will never be a top - 4 defenceman, his short commings in defence will hinder him.

*If you are just going to give me some lame ass refutation such ass, I have seen him more and bla bla bla, don't bother because you will have proven nothing.
I've seen him 7 times this season and he's become as good defensively as he is offensively.

mooseOAK*

Don_Cherry said:
God I hope you watched the game last night where Crosby made a team of players two years older than him look like they were two years younger than him. This kid is unbelievable and the only people who don't believe it are the ones who haven't seen him.

Playing against the best under 20 Finns in the world he won every battle he had, outworked anyone who came up against him, scored the opening goal and set up two more.

It doesn't matter if they were the 20 best Finns or not because they weren't that good. I will reserve judgment for the big games.

The hype machine was in force, though. He makes a pass that hits the Finn defenceman in the foot, hits the goalie, bounces to Bergeron who puts it in and Maguire is gushing how Crosby put the puck right where he needed it.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:
I've seen him 7 times this season and he's become as good defensively as he is offensively.

And you are a Leafs fan so we have to take your biased view of Colaiacovo with a nice grain of salt.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Leafaholix said:
It's too bad you don't live in Canada and can't watch Colaiacovo play, you'd cringe at the thought of even comparing Daley to him. You and Hollandboy.

Yes I know, no one can possibly compare to Carlo "9B" Colaiacovo :lol. Please. And just so you know, no one was comparing him to Colaiacovo. Russian_Fanatic was simply refuting your overused generalization of Daley.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
gretzky99 said:

I'll admit Carlo wasn't the best defensive defencemen last year and years before, but this year he has taken his defensive game to a new level, he is a better defensive player today than he was last year. If there was a season today he would be playing with the Leafs, he is completely different defencemen now than he was a few years back.

mooseOAK*

Chaos said:
Yes I know, no one can possibly compare to Carlo "9B" Colaiacovo :lol. Please. And just so you know, no one was comparing him to Colaiacovo. Russian_Fanatic was simply refuting your overused generalization of Daley.

Have you visted the Habs' group and checked out the Bulldogs' fans opinions of Daley's play? They are oddly similar to his overused generalizations.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
mooseOAK said:
Have you visted the Habs' group and checked out the Bulldogs' fans opinions of Daley's play? They are oddly similar to his overused generalizations.

Some are, but you have to take that with a grain of salt as well, as most(not all) of them were just looking for someone to blame when that team couldnt win or score to save its life. How about the couple of people in this very thread who have both seen him play multiple times and both said he doesn't have nearly the defensive problems that some think he does?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
mooseOAK said:
It doesn't matter if they were the 20 best Finns or not because they weren't that good. I will reserve judgment for the big games.

The hype machine was in force, though. He makes a pass that hits the Finn defenceman in the foot, hits the goalie, bounces to Bergeron who puts it in and Maguire is gushing how Crosby put the puck right where he needed it.

wasn;t that it he made the pass tape to tape because Crosbys passing lane was taken away, he was going on how Crosby had enough sense to put the puck where it was suppose to be to create a chance...if you look at the pass Crosby knew he wasn't going to get the puck to Bergeron but rather put it into the traffic and direction of Bergeron for the chance where as other players might not have done that.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
all I'm going to say as a habs fan is, the guy who drafted Kostitsyn needs to be kicked in the nuts.

edit : btw they drafted Urquhart with their 2nd round pick... I'm all for waiting 5 years before making a judgement on a specific draft, but that's really awful. Kostitsyn and Urquhart with your first two picks!!! Damn it I can't beleive it.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
It's interesting you bring him up. I've heard of a couple Kings fans who were seething that the Kings traded Strbak and Anshakov for Straka.

He was getting pretty hyped up by a few Pens posters last season.

It's died down now, but last season there were people sticking him on scoring lines for this season, thinking he was gonna just jump right over and pot 20-30 goals. I also think he's a bit high on the Pens rankings. According to hdb, he's scoreless this year in 11 games. I do think he's a solid prospect, but he's far from a sure thing IMO.

...as much as I liked Straka, I would have thought that deal was solid....if the Pens weren't still paying 1/2 his bloody salary. :mad:

leafaholix*

ax²+bx+c said:
all I'm going to say as a habs fan is, the guy who drafted Kostitsyn needs to be kicked in the nuts.

edit : btw they drafted Urquhart with their 2nd round pick... I'm all for waiting 5 years before making a judgement on a specific draft, but that's really awful. Kostitsyn and Urquhart with your first two picks!!! Damn it I can't beleive it.
Kostitsyn is a super talent, but a risky one.

Saw him last night and he's an absolute beast physically, his upper body is extremely strong, his is good while in motion, but it looked like it takes forever for him to accelerate.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
ax²+bx+c said:

Aren't you being a little premature...I don't see what Kostitsyn has done to make you think he didin't warrant a 1st round pick, as for Urquhart, I wasn't too impressed with the pick either, but he's still young and if he can learn to use his size more effectively, he could be a decent player, although I doubt it, but i've seen exactly what i've expected from Kostitsyn, I remember reading alot of post from Habs fans this time last year, who were saying that Perezhogin was a wasted pick, he turned it on in the 2nd half, and now, you couldn't catch anyone on the Habs board say he'll be a bust, funny thing is, Kostitsyn, has more or just about the same amount of points that Perezhogin did at this time last year, Perezhogin played on a better team last year in Hamilton, not to mention that Perezhogin was a year older, so be patient my friend

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Leafaholix said:
Kostitsyn is a super talent, but a risky one.

Saw him last night and he's an absolute beast physically, his upper body is extremely strong, his is good while in motion, but it looked like it takes forever for him to accelerate.

Didin't get to catch the game last night, can I ask what you mean by beast physically, do you mean that he's strong on the puck, or was he laying out people, good along the boards?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
417 TO MTL said:
Aren't you being a little premature...I don't see what Kostitsyn has done to make you think he didin't warrant a 1st round pick, as for Urquhart, I wasn't too impressed with the pick either, but he's still young and if he can learn to use his size more effectively, he could be a decent player, although I doubt it, but i've seen exactly what i've expected from Kostitsyn, I remember reading alot of post from Habs fans this time last year, who were saying that Perezhogin was a wasted pick, he turned it on in the 2nd half, and now, you couldn't catch anyone on the Habs board say he'll be a bust, funny thing is, Kostitsyn, has more or just about the same amount of points that Perezhogin did at this time last year, Perezhogin played on a better team last year in Hamilton, not to mention that Perezhogin was a year older, so be patient my friend

I just hate his style... Looks like he's often confused, and he has no drive, he's never involved in the play. He's always on his butt too, that's a little bit annoying. However he improved defensively and he's kinda bulky. That's good news but he's definately not playing the style I like. It looks like he's never skating hard, and he hasn't shown too much creativity with the puck thus far. Nah, really not my kind of player.

leafaholix*

417 TO MTL said:
Didin't get to catch the game last night, can I ask what you mean by beast physically, do you mean that he's strong on the puck, or was he laying out people, good along the boards?
Broad shoulders, strong upper body... with some time, it looks like he may end up with a similar physique as Kovalev. He's not small, he looks like with some maturing and experience, he may be a guy that can make plays with his strength and work along the boards.

A couple things that disappointed me last night.

His skating, it looked like he was standing still some of the time and it would take him forever to get his stride going. He's not that quick with his feet.

Another being his stick work and confidence level. He made a couple moves that really looked half-assed, and his confidence wasn't where it should be for a sniper with those set of skills. It may be the result of not playing and Jarvis benching him a lot.

The one goal he did score was a fluke, he went to centre the puck and the defenseman hit it into his own net.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Leafaholix said:
Broad shoulders, strong upper body... with some time, it looks like he may end up with a similar physique as Kovalev. He's not small, he looks like with some maturing and experience, he may be a guy that can make plays with his strength and work along the boards.

A couple things that disappointed me last night.

His skating, it looked like he was standing still some of the time and it would take him forever to get his stride going. He's not that quick with his feet.

Another being his stick work and confidence level. He made a couple moves that really looked half-assed, and his confidence wasn't where it should be for a sniper with those set of skills. It may be the result of not playing and Jarvis benching him a lot.

The one goal he did score was a fluke, he went to centre the puck and the defenseman hit it into his own net.

Thanks Leafaholix!

mooseOAK*

ax²+bx+c said:
I just hate his style... Looks like he's often confused, and he has no drive, he's never involved in the play. He's always on his butt too, that's a little bit annoying. However he improved defensively and he's kinda bulky. That's good news but he's definately not playing the style I like. It looks like he's never skating hard, and he hasn't shown too much creativity with the puck thus far. Nah, really not my kind of player.

Kostitsyn is a young kid in a new country and a new league, he needs some time to adapt. A skilled player needs skilled linemates and those guys aren't in abundance in the AHL.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Well, seeing how bad a season he's had so far and the fact that he just left the Norfolk to play in Russia, you have to consider Igor Radulov has one of the most overrated prospect out there! I mean, wow, 0 points in 16 AHL games this year!

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
I would have to say this comes from a jeleous fan that his team never got him. Schremp IMO will be a star in the NHL. His ego and attitude were blown out of reallity and IMO he was made to look worse than he is. One the ice he uses his teamamtes and is a deadly scorer I see no reason he should not be a star in the making. I think you comment about him is

Sarcasm, my friend. Also if you look at my the background of my avatar I think it's obvious I'm an Oiler fan.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
It's interesting you bring him up. I've heard of a couple Kings fans who were seething that the Kings traded Strbak and Anshakov for Straka.
He's a really nice prospect, but after his highly productive World Juniors tournament last year, a lot of Penguin fans were homering it up big time with him.

FlyersFan10*

You know what's great about this. It's supposed to be your opinion on who you think are the most overrated prospects. The moment you give your opinion, everyone jumps down your throat for doing so. I love the fact that some people have nothing better to do but nitpick. Jeez, that's really sad.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Rowsdower said:
...as much as I liked Straka, I would have thought that deal was solid....if the Pens weren't still paying 1/2 his bloody salary. :mad:

The 1/2 salary is for 2004-05 season......1/2 of zero is zero. I'll tell you what.....I'll pitch in and help cover that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad