Most Overated propsects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
zamboni said:
Schremp by far! What an over-hyped, pre-madonna! His ego and attitude are pathetc! He is a disgrace to the game of hockey, and is a cancer to any team he'll ever on! He will never set foot in the NHL EVER!

London Knights?

gretzky99

Leafaholix said:
Did you miss the games where he shut down Jason Spezza and dominated the Hamilton Bulldogs? You base your opinion on 1 game.

I have seen Carlo play around 10 times (AHL and WJC). He is a very good offensively minded defencemen, however his defensive skills are mediocore at best. I still can't get over that cough up he made back in the WJC (2 or 3 years ago), ended up costing us the game if I remember correctly. Anyway, In my humble opinion I believe that Carlo will never be a top - 4 defenceman, his short commings in defence will hinder him.

*If you are just going to give me some lame ass refutation such ass, I have seen him more and bla bla bla, don't bother because you will have proven nothing.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Brock said:
Some completely crazy and offbase comments here.

The Crosby one is so bad, it's hilarious. I'll let the QMJHL fans tackle that one, cause I'm sure they are up to the test. All I gotta say is, you gotta watch Crosby before making comments like that.

You also have to watch Ovechkin or even Carter or even any of these guys. Ovechkin has the potential to be a better player then Kovalchuk. It is true, he's got the same wheels, the same amazing skill set, but hes a better physical specimen and a more complete player. Ovechkin, just for your own knownledge, is actually outscoring Kovalchuk this year in the RSL (well to Kovalchuk's defense he hasn't played a whole lot). Ovechkin currently sits tied for 6th in the RSL for scoring, and thats pretty damn good for a 19 year old kid if you ask me. Also if you are going strictly by numbers, Carters numbers do actually compare to Richards, in fact they are better this year. Jeff Carter has 40 points in 29 games, Richards has 32 in 26 games. You could make other arguments in stacking your claim that you believe Richards is the better prospect, but you certainly can't use stats like you have, because then that would be a flawed argument.
Ovechkin is hyped too much. Great prospect but i doubt he will offensively out produce Kovalchuk. Ovechkin will be a more rounded player but Kovalchuk will put up more points. Yes it is impressive what AO has done this year but what Kovalchuk has done in his short career is amazing. Would have won the Calder if not injured, won the Richards and is an established superstar and is only 21. Ovechkin will never ever do that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
J17ster said:
What Kovalchuk has done in his short career is amazing. Would have won the Calder if not injured, won the Richards and is an established superstar and is only 21. Ovechkin will never ever do that.

And five years ago you would have predicted Kovalchuk would have? That's one of the least thought out comments I've read on here in ages. If Rick Nash can win the Rocket Richard trophy at 19, why the heck couldn't Ovechkin? I'm sorry but what you said is lacking any substance at all.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
mooseOAK said:
I think we have our winner. For all this "next Gretzky" talk, even by the man himself, I have yet to see it.

God I hope you watched the game last night where Crosby made a team of players two years older than him look like they were two years younger than him. This kid is unbelievable and the only people who don't believe it are the ones who haven't seen him.

Playing against the best under 20 Finns in the world he won every battle he had, outworked anyone who came up against him, scored the opening goal and set up two more.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Rowsdower said:
BTW, if you want to chose an overrated Pens prospect, I'd go with Sergei Anshakov.

It's interesting you bring him up. I've heard of a couple Kings fans who were seething that the Kings traded Strbak and Anshakov for Straka.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Semin is the purest goal scorer I've seen since Pavel Bure, he'll score 50 in 3 years!!! I can't believe some people are saying he's overrated.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
wilka91 said:
Semin is the purest goal scorer I've seen since Pavel Bure, he'll score 50 in 3 years!!! I can't believe some people are saying he's overrated.

I believe I recently read that you just started following hockey like a year ago or so, so I guess you haven't seen the best of Bure? ;)

EDIT: never mind... found the post, you were referring to prospects/ the WJC, that you just recently started following them/it

Last edited:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think Semin will make a lot of people change their minds about him. I love the things he can do at top speed.

My choices for most overrated prospects are Horton (too injury prone) and Barker (great in juniors but will not be a dominant d-man in the NHL).

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Don_Cherry said:
And five years ago you would have predicted Kovalchuk would have? That's one of the least thought out comments I've read on here in ages. If Rick Nash can win the Rocket Richard trophy at 19, why the heck couldn't Ovechkin? I'm sorry but what you said is lacking any substance at all.
Kovalchuk was thought of as a main contender for the calder and everybody knew the set of wheels are the skills he had. He would have sooner or later done what he has. Ovechkin isn't going to be the kind of player Kovalchuk. Ovechkin will turn out the better all round player i probably will score a lot of points but not what Kovalchuk can do. Nash is a better goal scorer than Ovechkin at the moment. Ovechkin will be better but it will take him more time to score that load.

:joker:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
this guy is right up there - i totally agree that until he comes over, he's just another gynormous question mark. overrated to no end by rangers fans on this board,

i'd be more concerned about lundqvist and the "transition" if he hadn't already proven he can stop NHL shooters. he's playing against NHL players in sweden right now, he's played against them in the past in the world championships (stopping several breakaways by NHL stars). he's still going to have to adjust to the NA rink but again, if the skills are already there, it's not going to be a huge stumbling block

and perhaps there's the perception that rangers fans overrate him because no one else ever thinks about him and we think he deserves some credit for his accomplishments.

Bacchus

Nov 11, 2002
Dickes B
Visit site
Levitate said:
i'd be more concerned about lundqvist and the "transition" if he hadn't already proven he can stop NHL shooters. he's playing against NHL players in sweden right now, he's played against them in the past in the world championships (stopping several breakaways by NHL stars). he's still going to have to adjust to the NA rink but again, if the skills are already there, it's not going to be a huge stumbling block

and perhaps there's the perception that rangers fans overrate him because no one else ever thinks about him and we think he deserves some credit for his accomplishments.

That's true but I think some Rangers fans took it a step too far lately...

Funny thing is that there are no question marks about Alexander Ovechkin and his RSL game. "He is 6th in RSL scoring, better than Ilya Kovalchuk"... So what? He has yet to take a step in a north american rink.

But of course it is a very different situation between Ovechkin and his RSL play and Lundqvist and his SEL play. :shakehead

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
slats432 said:
I personally believe that Marek Schwarz's upside is Roman Cechmanek.

Trevor Daley's upside is Brian Rafalski but his 5 on 5 numbers will be brutal.

Peter Senja. He is 25 years old and hasn't had any success at the NHL level. If he has any success, it will be a couple good seasons.

Devan Dubnyk. I don't see what anyone sees as of yet. Personally Radulov, Schremp would have looked pretty sweet for the Oilers right about now.

Jeff Deslauriers. Again, every time I think about this guy, I don't understand the excitement. Hopefully for the Oilers, I am wrong about one of their two goalies.

M.A Pouliot. Can't skate fast. Can't stickhandle. From the circles in he is great, but if he doesn't become a Luc Robitaille type of player(Great hands, slow skater), impending doom.

As for this thread...I expect it to deteriorate quickly.

Totally agree with your assesments of Oilers prospects. I look over their list and and I think "Boy this is a sorry group of prospects." Their scouts should be fired for their picks in the first round....minus Hemsky

se7en*

Well - thank God you're no GM. At the end of the day, our group bests the Kings...easily.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Don_Cherry said:

I find it ironic that you would criticize a poster for having "one of the least thought out comments" and immediately follow it with a pretty undeveloped thought yourself.

There seems to be a logic in your statement that says if Nash led the league in goals at 19, then Ovechkin can lead the league in goals at 19. Am I wrong?

Now, I'm not saying Ovechkin couldn't lead the league in goals at 19, but I did want to point out that, I believe, in the entire history of the NHL, that Nash is the youngest player ever to lead the league in goals.

That's an awful tall achievement. I think the list of teens to lead the league in goals has only one name on it.

Anything is possible, but what Nash did was highly improbable and the chances of anyone repeating that feat are highly improbable as well.
A lot of players better than Nash have played in the NHL at 19 and not acheived what he did.

Maybe I'm just too sensitve. Or bored.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
FlyersFan10 said:
Well, I know I'm gonna get flamed, but if I'm gonna get flamed, hell, might as well make it worthwhile. I have five of them who are overrated. This is in no particular order:

1) Sidney Crosby - The fact that he plays in the Quebec League shouldn't matter, but there is no toughness to the kid at all. The moment he gets the crap beat out of him or hammered with a really hard hit and how he comes through it will be the ultimate test. Fact of the matter is that he's been so protected by the Quebec League that they're doing him more harm than good. I think once he gets a real taste of what NHL hockey is like, I think we'll see how the real Sidney Crosby stands up. Personally, I think he'll get killed and will be gone after five seasons.

2) Alexander Ovechkin - The guy has been compared to Ilya Kovalchuk. That's laughable at best. Ilya has performed on every stage and has done so successfully. I don't even think we've seen the best of Ilya. However, there are people on here who are dismissing Ilya as second rate to Ovechkin. Do I think Ovechkin will be good? Of course I do. Scouting has changed a whole lot since the days of Daigle. However, I just don't see the guy living up to the hype that surrounds him. A lot of people will probably end up disappointed. IF Ovechkin went to a team where there were some veteran players to take him under their wing and make him a better player, I could see him doing some good. However, if you take a look at Washington, I hate to nitpick, there isn't a whole lot there. If Robert Lang were still behind, maybe I could see some good work happen with Ovechkin. But the cupboard is bare in Washington and Ovechkin suffers as a result.

3) Marc Andre Fleury - CHOKES IN BIG GAMES!!!!!! For someone who is supposed to be the second coming of Patrick Roy, he has faultered in big games. No heart from this guy at all. He'll win a lot of games, but he won't win games that matters. And it's those games that matter that determine the success of a career.

4) Jeff Carter - My fellow Flyers alumni are gonna kill me for this, but for all the hype Carter gets, his numbers don't compare to that of fellow prospect Mike Richards. I just think that Richards will be the better player of the two and will end up being the superstar out of the two. Jeff will end up being a good number 2 centerman, but Richards is the real stud of the Flyers prospects. Don't let anyone tell you any different, including Flyer fans.

5) Junior Lessard - All this hype about a college player who had ONE good season and got a crazy contract from Dallas. Money well wasted and he's gonna prove it. This is one of those problematic NHL contracts where Junior got the world after one good season. Nothing special. Hell, you don't hear anything about Junior now anyways. So much for that dominating player he's supposed to be.

How doesn't Crosby have any toughness at all, takes the hit, doesn't mind the contact, takes some good checks and bounces back from them. Since I can tell you have never seen him play and go by TV and what you hear then I don't know why you would make comments like this. What Sidney goes through in a game is hell, he takes a ton of cheap shots and I mean a ton, players take runs at him that is not normal play. Crosby has dominated every level no mater where he played, AAA, Prep, CWG, MACS, Air Canada Cup, QMJHL, did super well at the WJHC last year, U18s, he hasn't faulted yet. He takes the hits and gives a few out to, always in traffic and not scared of contact I don't see how he doesn't have toughness??????

The Ovechkin thread here is just as bad and so is the rest, I am not too keen on Junior Lessard so I will leave him out of it but all the rest I think you are the type that must eat your words alot eh.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
As a Wings fan i will say Grigorenko is overrated now. I really dont expect much from the kid but am hopefully he can get close to what he was. Time will tell and the Wings are in no hurry to rush him.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
FlyersFan10 said:
1) Sidney Crosby - The fact that he plays in the Quebec League shouldn't matter, but there is no toughness to the kid at all. The moment he gets the crap beat out of him or hammered with a really hard hit and how he comes through it will be the ultimate test. Fact of the matter is that he's been so protected by the Quebec League that they're doing him more harm than good. I think once he gets a real taste of what NHL hockey is like, I think we'll see how the real Sidney Crosby stands up. Personally, I think he'll get killed and will be gone after five seasons.

:lol :lol :lol The most ignorant comment of the year.
Have you ever saw him play? Crosby takes a lot of abuse and he is cheapshotted all the time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's true but I think some Rangers fans took it a step too far lately...

Funny thing is that there are no question marks about Alexander Ovechkin and his RSL game. "He is 6th in RSL scoring, better than Ilya Kovalchuk"... So what? He has yet to take a step in a north american rink.

But of course it is a very different situation between Ovechkin and his RSL play and Lundqvist and his SEL play

i was thinking of mentioning the whole "ovechkin hasn't played in NA either" but that's just another can of worms, and someone will undoubtedly mention the world cup (a handful of games? meh)

and yeah some ranger fans might take it a bit too far...but lundqvist really has put up stellar numbers and has exceeded any expectations at this point. he's not in the lehtonen category of goaltending prospects, and he's not a sure thing at this point...but he's looking like he could be a very good NHL goalie.

hmm, more overrated players...dunno, it seems like ari ahonen still gets a lot of respect from people these days when he's been stuck in albany for years with mediocre stats (granted he's on a bad team and all i guess). probably be best for him if the devils just traded him at this point. i guess i'd just say i think he needs to get out and on a better team and prove again he deserves the cred he gets

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
wilka91 said:

17 goals a year is nothing to brag about ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad