Most Overated propsects

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooseOAK*

NYRangers said:
Ytour one of those who likes to put words in peoples mouhs, eh? Where did I suggest this? I never did. Who said were viewing these 'overrated prospects' on one list? Nobody did.

So, who is over rating them then? I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
The Oilers drafted Schremp 24th overall 2004 (samedraft as Dubnyk)

I believe he's suggesting the Oilers could have drafted Radulov and Schremp as opposed to Dubnyk and Schremp.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
mooseOAK said:
So, who is over rating them then? I'm just trying to figure out where you are coming from.

The hockey world in general.

People (including me) said Balej is overrated. Why don't you go bother them and ask them why they say he is overrated because hes not on the list.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Daley is far from overrated. The Stars have very few overrated prospects if any at all. Just look at how many of our prospects made the top 50(uh.......0).

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Nik said:
I think he is overrated moreso by Nucks fans than by the HF staff.

Most Canuck fans hated the pick when it was made, and still don't think he's going to be any better than a third line centre.

As for overrated, I'd say start at the top, and work your way down. Every player is going to be a superstar, at worst they're second liners, hardly a single one will bust. Yet the numbers tell us the vast majority will never make a dent in the NHL.

And I can't believe I'm the first guy to mention Crosby. The hype machine is going insane on this guy, he has *zero* chance of living up to how folks are talking.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Leafaholix said:
Because from what I've seen he's a poor man's Brian Rafalski with no defense and hockey smarts. To say his upside is Brian Rafalski is to overrate him.

Wow I've seen him many times and he has no defensive problems, if anyone I think Carlo is the one with defensive problems, atleast for the parts I've seen him.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Russian_fanatic said:
Wow I've seen him many times and he has no defensive problems, if anyone I think Carlo is the one with defensive problems, atleast for the parts I've seen him.

Uh oh....looks like your overused generalization of Daley is running out of support, Leafaholix :p: .

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Kasparov said:
Andrei Kostitsyn

Alexander Semin

Stephen Weiss

Evengiy Malkin

Fedor Tjutin

Carlo Coliacovo

Although they are all good players i don't think they will match their hype.

Why Malkin? This guy is VERY impressive.... he is 11 months younger than AO, but hsa about the same stats this season in the Russian league!!!

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
J17ster said:
Lundquist hasn't even come over from Europe and guys are saying he is the second best goalie prospect behind Lehtonen.

this guy is right up there - i totally agree that until he comes over, he's just another gynormous question mark. overrated to no end by rangers fans on this board, although to the rest of the hockey world, that's not the case.

mooseOAK*

Foppa_Rules said:
Crosby takes the cake any day for this award.

I think we have our winner. For all this "next Gretzky" talk, even by the man himself, I have yet to see it.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
La-La-Laprise said:
Hugh Jessiman
Brian Boyle
Danny Roussin
Jean-Michel Bolduc
Thoman Vanek
Corey Perry
Stefan Meyer
Andrew Ladd
Blake Wheeler
AJ Thelen
Devan Dubnyk
Rob Schremp
Michael Sersen

How can you put all these players, you have no clue until they step into an NHL game and they have developed more. and Watch out for Vanek this kids got skills

FlyersFan10*

Well, I know I'm gonna get flamed, but if I'm gonna get flamed, hell, might as well make it worthwhile. I have five of them who are overrated. This is in no particular order:

1) Sidney Crosby - The fact that he plays in the Quebec League shouldn't matter, but there is no toughness to the kid at all. The moment he gets the crap beat out of him or hammered with a really hard hit and how he comes through it will be the ultimate test. Fact of the matter is that he's been so protected by the Quebec League that they're doing him more harm than good. I think once he gets a real taste of what NHL hockey is like, I think we'll see how the real Sidney Crosby stands up. Personally, I think he'll get killed and will be gone after five seasons.

2) Alexander Ovechkin - The guy has been compared to Ilya Kovalchuk. That's laughable at best. Ilya has performed on every stage and has done so successfully. I don't even think we've seen the best of Ilya. However, there are people on here who are dismissing Ilya as second rate to Ovechkin. Do I think Ovechkin will be good? Of course I do. Scouting has changed a whole lot since the days of Daigle. However, I just don't see the guy living up to the hype that surrounds him. A lot of people will probably end up disappointed. IF Ovechkin went to a team where there were some veteran players to take him under their wing and make him a better player, I could see him doing some good. However, if you take a look at Washington, I hate to nitpick, there isn't a whole lot there. If Robert Lang were still behind, maybe I could see some good work happen with Ovechkin. But the cupboard is bare in Washington and Ovechkin suffers as a result.

3) Marc Andre Fleury - CHOKES IN BIG GAMES!!!!!! For someone who is supposed to be the second coming of Patrick Roy, he has faultered in big games. No heart from this guy at all. He'll win a lot of games, but he won't win games that matters. And it's those games that matter that determine the success of a career.

4) Jeff Carter - My fellow Flyers alumni are gonna kill me for this, but for all the hype Carter gets, his numbers don't compare to that of fellow prospect Mike Richards. I just think that Richards will be the better player of the two and will end up being the superstar out of the two. Jeff will end up being a good number 2 centerman, but Richards is the real stud of the Flyers prospects. Don't let anyone tell you any different, including Flyer fans.

5) Junior Lessard - All this hype about a college player who had ONE good season and got a crazy contract from Dallas. Money well wasted and he's gonna prove it. This is one of those problematic NHL contracts where Junior got the world after one good season. Nothing special. Hell, you don't hear anything about Junior now anyways. So much for that dominating player he's supposed to be.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
3) Marc Andre Fleury - CHOKES IN BIG GAMES!!!!!! For someone who is supposed to be the second coming of Patrick Roy, he has faultered in big games. No heart from this guy at all. He'll win a lot of games, but he won't win games that matters. And it's those games that matter that determine the success of a career.

So making some mistakes in a few important games means that he has no heart? :dunno:

In general, I get a kick out of any poster who tries to lay out a prospects career. It's even funnier when they try to fortify it through a few indivudual events.

Example:
MA Fleury made an error in the gold medal game in the WJ's last year
Conclusion: He will choke in every big game in his career

BTW, if you want to chose an overrated Pens prospect, I'd go with Sergei Anshakov.

Last edited:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
FlyersFan10 said:
Well, I know I'm gonna get flamed, but if I'm gonna get flamed, hell, might as well make it worthwhile. I have five of them who are overrated. This is in no particular order:

1) Sidney Crosby - The fact that he plays in the Quebec League shouldn't matter, but there is no toughness to the kid at all. The moment he gets the crap beat out of him or hammered with a really hard hit and how he comes through it will be the ultimate test. Fact of the matter is that he's been so protected by the Quebec League that they're doing him more harm than good. I think once he gets a real taste of what NHL hockey is like, I think we'll see how the real Sidney Crosby stands up. Personally, I think he'll get killed and will be gone after five seasons.

2) Alexander Ovechkin - The guy has been compared to Ilya Kovalchuk. That's laughable at best. Ilya has performed on every stage and has done so successfully. I don't even think we've seen the best of Ilya. However, there are people on here who are dismissing Ilya as second rate to Ovechkin. Do I think Ovechkin will be good? Of course I do. Scouting has changed a whole lot since the days of Daigle. However, I just don't see the guy living up to the hype that surrounds him. A lot of people will probably end up disappointed. IF Ovechkin went to a team where there were some veteran players to take him under their wing and make him a better player, I could see him doing some good. However, if you take a look at Washington, I hate to nitpick, there isn't a whole lot there. If Robert Lang were still behind, maybe I could see some good work happen with Ovechkin. But the cupboard is bare in Washington and Ovechkin suffers as a result.

4) Jeff Carter - My fellow Flyers alumni are gonna kill me for this, but for all the hype Carter gets, his numbers don't compare to that of fellow prospect Mike Richards. I just think that Richards will be the better player of the two and will end up being the superstar out of the two. Jeff will end up being a good number 2 centerman, but Richards is the real stud of the Flyers prospects. Don't let anyone tell you any different, including Flyer fans.

5) Junior Lessard - All this hype about a college player who had ONE good season and got a crazy contract from Dallas. Money well wasted and he's gonna prove it. This is one of those problematic NHL contracts where Junior got the world after one good season. Nothing special. Hell, you don't hear anything about Junior now anyways. So much for that dominating player he's supposed to be.

:lol: :shakehead

These guys are great prospects execpt Junior Lessard but all of the other prospects deserve all the attention they are receieving and are not overrated. You need to watch these guys play before you start to call them overrated. This list makes me think what kind of hockey have you been watching.

FlyersFan10*

well, like I said in the first couple of lines in my post, I was going to be flamed no matter what I said. Fact of the matter is that this is all opinion based. And seeing as to how this is MY opinion, it's neither right nor wrong. It is what it is. So, lighten up.

leafaholix*

Chaos said:
Uh oh....looks like your overused generalization of Daley is running out of support, Leafaholix :p: .
It's too bad you don't live in Canada and can't watch Colaiacovo play, you'd cringe at the thought of even comparing Daley to him. You and Hollandboy.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Leafaholix said:
It's too bad you don't live in Canada and can't watch Colaiacovo play, you'd cringe at the thought of even comparing Daley to him. You and Hollandboy.

I live in Canada and Carlo can look very stupid at times, and he takes far to many risks when ever he played the Moose.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
FlyersFan10 said:

Some completely crazy and offbase comments here.

The Crosby one is so bad, it's hilarious. I'll let the QMJHL fans tackle that one, cause I'm sure they are up to the test. All I gotta say is, you gotta watch Crosby before making comments like that.

You also have to watch Ovechkin or even Carter or even any of these guys. Ovechkin has the potential to be a better player then Kovalchuk. It is true, he's got the same wheels, the same amazing skill set, but hes a better physical specimen and a more complete player. Ovechkin, just for your own knownledge, is actually outscoring Kovalchuk this year in the RSL (well to Kovalchuk's defense he hasn't played a whole lot). Ovechkin currently sits tied for 6th in the RSL for scoring, and thats pretty damn good for a 19 year old kid if you ask me. Also if you are going strictly by numbers, Carters numbers do actually compare to Richards, in fact they are better this year. Jeff Carter has 40 points in 29 games, Richards has 32 in 26 games. You could make other arguments in stacking your claim that you believe Richards is the better prospect, but you certainly can't use stats like you have, because then that would be a flawed argument.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Schremp by far! What an over-hyped, pre-madonna! His ego and attitude are pathetc! He is a disgrace to the game of hockey, and is a cancer to any team he'll ever on! He will never set foot in the NHL EVER!

leafaholix*

Russian_fanatic said:
I live in Canada and Carlo can look very stupid at times, and he takes far to many risks when ever he played the Moose.
Did you miss the games where he shut down Jason Spezza and dominated the Hamilton Bulldogs? You base your opinion on 1 game.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
zamboni said:
Schremp by far! What an over-hyped, pre-madonna! His ego and attitude are pathetc! He is a disgrace to the game of hockey, and is a cancer to any team he'll ever on! He will never set foot in the NHL EVER!

I would have to say this comes from a jeleous fan that his team never got him. Schremp IMO will be a star in the NHL. His ego and attitude were blown out of reallity and IMO he was made to look worse than he is. One the ice he uses his teamamtes and is a deadly scorer I see no reason he should not be a star in the making. I think you comment about him is :loony:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad