Morgan Rielly

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Best Leafs defender I have had the pleasure to watch. With the stream of negative threads such as jumping on Nylander or asking if the Tavares was worth it, this is much appreciated.

I never thought he'd get to the level he is currently playing at. He is looking like our Duncan Keith (although, not as likely to take a penalty or suspension).

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Best Leafs defender I have had the pleasure to watch. With the stream of negative threads such as jumping on Nylander or asking if the Tavares was worth it, this is much appreciated.

I never thought he'd get to the level he is currently playing at. He is looking like our Duncan Keith (although, not as likely to take a penalty or suspension).

I think there is a good chance he can peak as high as Keith too. He has NEVER had a partner remotely as good as peak Seabrook. He's doing this all with a dead corpse Hainsey while simultaneously improving his own defensive game. Hainsey is the best partner he has ever had as well.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
There was a Leaf poster on here who was demanding he would be taken off the PP which is ridiculous. Defense is one of those positions where it's easy to nit pick on a bad play or two. They have to make plays under pressure every shift. Rielly is elite at doing so. He just needs an upgrade on his partner.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There was a Leaf poster on here who was demanding he would be taken off the PP which is ridiculous. Defense is one of those positions where it's easy to nit pick on a bad play or two. They have to make plays under pressure every shift. Rielly is elite at doing so. He just needs an upgrade on his partner.
You get enough people talking on one topic your bound to hear some insane shit.

Reactions: Melo Meds

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I think there is a good chance he can peak as high as Keith too. He has NEVER had a partner remotely as good as peak Seabrook. He's doing this all with a dead corpse Hainsey while simultaneously improving his own defensive game. Hainsey is the best partner he has ever had as well.
Actually, I think Hainsey has been very good for Mo. knows his roll and gets Mo the puck in good position to make plays. This is something Zaitsev doesn’t do for Gardiner.

Reactions: hector morrison

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
#1 franchise dman you build your dcore around. No #1 franchise center in the 2012 draft.

He would go #1 in the re-draft.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On the first page of this board I see:
*Willy looks bad
*Metcalf (wtf?)
*Worst Leaf of all time
*Millen vs Romanuk (are you f*cking kidding me?)
etc., etc., etc.

And yet not one thread dedicated to the defenseman who leads the league in scoring for D. What am I missing? I'm not hyping Norris, I am saying that this is the best presentation of one player on the back end the Leafs have had in years. Full stop.

I'm going out on a limb here folks. Morgan, you've been a revelation this year and I thank you. You're the best Dman we've had since Salming. I just wish your partner was more capable in playing a game that suited your strengths. Wishing you continued success.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night but was too tired to start a thread so thanks!

Doing all he has so far while playing against the oppositions best lines. :yo:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Actually, I think Hainsey has been very good for Mo. knows his roll and gets Mo the puck in good position to make plays. This is something Zaitsev doesn’t do for Gardiner.

Hainsey has done an admirable job, considering that it's Ron Hainsey. He's does OK playing over his head because of valiant effort, but it's going to be nigh impossible for him to keep playing well all the way through a playoff run. He's just not talented enough and age catches everyone.

Really, we need an upgrade to play with Rielly. Not just because of what it would do for the top pair, but what it would do for the bottom 4 by allowing Hainsey to play there.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Easily, 1st overall in his draft.

He's really come into his own. I remember when Burke made the pick, my first reaction was goddamnit Grigorenko and Forsberg are still on the board! Lol. I came around pretty quick on him, if we were taking a defenseman he was my favorite pick. It's easy to forget just how terrible our forwards were at the time. Geez that was 6 years ago...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The only players with a higher point production than Rielly from his draft are Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

We got lucky getting Mo at 5

Not to mention they're forwards and Rielly's a d-man. Galchenyuk was also drafted ahead of him. We've got a terrific, all situations defender on a great contract.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The only players with a higher point production than Rielly from his draft are Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

We got lucky getting Mo at 5

Basically as good as it could've gone. You can get players like Rielly and Pettersson at 5...but you can just as easily wind up with a Schenn, Dal Colle, or Ryan Strome. Winning the coin toss on Matthews was huge but we've done a great job of hitting on our top picks recently what with Rielly at 5, Nylander at 8, Marner at 4. Pretty rare to not only avoid a bust with any of those but each time draft a guy who outperforms their slot. Feelsgoodman.

Reactions: mulefarm

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Basically as good as it could've gone. You can get players like Rielly and Pettersson at 5...but you can just as easily wind up with a Schenn, Dal Colle, or Ryan Strome. Winning the coin toss on Matthews was huge but we've done a great job of hitting on our top picks recently what with Rielly at 5, Nylander at 8, Marner at 4. Pretty rare to not only avoid a bust with any of those but each time draft a guy who outperforms their slot. Feelsgoodman.
Imagine how bad New Jersey feels about drafting Zacha in 2015. A draft that's overflowing with elite talent all the way through and you draft a bust at #6 :laugh:

Reactions: Cappuccino

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
why not?

the only serious challenger at this point would be Gio - he's the only other guy facing the other team's top line every night and still dominating offensively.

Because it will play out as it does. I'm just very happy that we've got ourselves a heck of a player.

Reactions: 7even

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
What % of his starts are in the offensive zone? Feels like a lot. Giordano goes up against the other team's best forwards and is still putting up great offensive numbers, I'd say he has the edge at this point

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Totally understimated, totally run down. Wow, bet this guy goes for the home run on the next contract.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Reilly has been great. The better he's playing the more confidence he gains. He will be a #1 pretty much the rest of his career. He was always fairly solid but he has really come on this season.

Now the bad news. He has no chance at the Norris this season. The Norris trophy to me seems like the award in hockey that's 2-3 late in recognizing who actually deserves to win. I'm guessing Reilly is more concerned about the team and winning a Cup, When the Leafs eventually name a Captain his name should be near the top if not at the top of list..

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Just being a finalist for the Norris will be a huge accomplishment. I like his chances there.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
On the first page of this board I see:
*Willy looks bad
*Metcalf (wtf?)
*Worst Leaf of all time
*Millen vs Romanuk (are you f*cking kidding me?)
etc., etc., etc.

And yet not one thread dedicated to the defenseman who leads the league in scoring for D. What am I missing? I'm not hyping Norris, I am saying that this is the best presentation of one player on the back end the Leafs have had in years. Full stop.

I'm going out on a limb here folks. Morgan, you've been a revelation this year and I thank you. You're the best Dman we've had since Salming. I just wish your partner was more capable in playing a game that suited your strengths. Wishing you continued success.

A very nice contract, he's pretty steady in his approach to the game too I think.

I try to be careful with my interest in the individual stats. Why? Honestly, at this point I just want team success. Sometimes players can't see the forest for the trees. I don't think this team is like that, I really do believe they are focused on winning, but, you always worry they will sacrifice team success for individual accolades. I suppose individual success also translates to team success. There will require tougher battling come playoffs, finding different ways to success. I can tell Babcock is on this issue and wants to drive it home, I'm sure they are listening.

It's definitely entertaining hockey, and many years that has been alone appealing enough for me. I'm really rooting for this particular team to go deep, they are a more likable team with so much young talent that playoff success would be great to see.

Reactions: meefer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad