Morgan Rielly

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
On the first page of this board I see:
*Willy looks bad
*Metcalf (wtf?)
*Worst Leaf of all time
*Millen vs Romanuk (are you f*cking kidding me?)
etc., etc., etc.

And yet not one thread dedicated to the defenseman who leads the league in scoring for D. What am I missing? I'm not hyping Norris, I am saying that this is the best presentation of one player on the back end the Leafs have had in years. Full stop.

I'm going out on a limb here folks. Morgan, you've been a revelation this year and I thank you. You're the best Dman we've had since Salming. I just wish your partner was more capable in playing a game that suited your strengths. Wishing you continued success.

Way to turn a positive into a negative again.

Are you kidding me? Hainsey is the reason that Rielly is being held back?

Are you sure that makes sense? So Rielly needs someone else because he's normally capable of scoring 260 points this season?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Are you sure that makes sense? So Rielly needs someone else because he's normally capable of scoring 260 points this season?
Hainsey cannot protect the ice behind him and more and more is playing the left side with Rielly on the right side depending on the speed of the left wingers of our opponents. Haisney is not a player who should be playing against the other teams top players. Rielly needs a partner who can defend the ice behind him like he does for Haisney when he steps up at our Blueline.

Why do you only think of points like most everyone when considering line mates and D partners.

Rielly is a Elite D man playing with a D partner who should be on our 3rd pair.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Rielly is most definitely a #1 d-man. I think people tend to go overboard with such a definition, expecting some kind of perfection in role and execution. That doesn't make sense to me. What you do need to do is fill the primary role for your team, and be effective doing it. That likely includes a combination of big minutes, tough opposition, and special teams, but not necessarily all of it.

And Rielly most certainly is effective in his minutes as well. He's an absolute treat right now.

And yet not one thread dedicated to the defenseman who leads the league in scoring for D.
And no thread for Marner either. For some reason, a lot of people only want to discuss things that give them a reason to be miserable.

You'd think even something like the Willy situation should be just a minor nuisance at this point, with how things are going.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hainsey cannot protect the ice behind him and more and more is playing the left side with Rielly on the right side depending on the speed of the left wingers of our opponents. Haisney is not a player who should be playing against the other teams top players. Rielly needs a partner who can defend the ice behind him like he does for Haisney when he steps up at our Blueline.

Why do you only think of points like most everyone when considering line mates and D partners.

Rielly is a Elite D man playing with a D partner who should be on our 3rd pair.

Until you can prove otherwise, Ron Hainsey's Stanley Cup ring proves to everyone (including Rielly) that he is capable.

He's not the greatest D man to walk the earth, but he is capable.

Reactions: Duckrider

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I'm not a Burke fan in the least and he's really been pissing me off lately with his anti-Leafs rants lately but man was he right when he said the Leafs had Rielly at #1 overall in their draft rankings.

I agree also didnt do so bad with Kadri as well. Glad he wasnt left in charge to long or he would have traded both for Tanev and Sutter.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Until you can prove otherwise, Ron Hainsey's Stanley Cup ring proves to everyone (including Rielly) that he is capable.

lol. Brett Ledba had a Stanley cup ring and he was not even a useful pylon.

Haisney struggles to get to rotations late never mind on time. Rielly has carried him and we would be a better team with a better skating D man playing with Rielly.

I can assure you that Rielly knows Hainsy limitations.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Ron Hainsey was a decent defensemen, but age has caught up to him and he is now a stopgap #6.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Not a negative, an observation and a hope for an improved pairing. I was not trying to call out Hainsey as a bad defenseman (though upon reflection the wording could be taken as such, my mistake) moreso that his abilities at this stage in his career are no longer, IMO, sufficient to be a top pairing D. I have no doubt that Hainsey was a calming influence and a fine teacher for Rielly, but Ron's skills have noticeably eroded to a point where he is not as effective facing the top players on the other teams as he once was. Give Morgan a better partner and I believe his effectiveness would continue to improve.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Easily, 1st overall in his draft.

Yeah he would probably go # 1. I would be really torn on Rielly, Slavin and Lindholm (who are also great # 1 d-men.)

Rielly is elite offensively those other two are quite a bit better defensively. I'm very happy with Rielly though.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
And yeah, as good as Boston is, they really blew most of those picks, imagine, imagine if they had drafted Connor, Barzal and Chabot. You probably could pencil them in for the Cup for years.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
When is his contract up?
After the end of the 21-22 season.

I've been clamouring about this for a long time now but to me we have seen a Duncan Keith like jump offensively and overall for Mo. The Blackhawks were awfully successful when Keith took that leap and hopefully we will be just as successful as they were. It would be nice to have a balancing player on Rielly's pair like a Seabrook but I don't think we have that on the team or the system.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
And yeah, as good as Boston is, they really blew most of those picks, imagine, imagine if they had drafted Connor, Barzal and Chabot. You probably could pencil them in for the Cup for years.
I remember the day of that draft being mortified that they were basically gifted Barzal, Connor and Chabot. Then I proceeded to almost faint laughing as they blew all three picks in succession. It was literally the worst thing I've ever seen a team do ever. One thing I did give them credit for at the time partially was scooping up Zach Senyshyn who was super hyped up by the draft pundits as being a massive sleeper pick. Now, I would've in no way hell endorsed that pick as a 1st rounder but that didn't make me any less pissed that Boston had him. I felt the same way a couple of years before in 2012 when the Flames scooped then big time sleeper pick Mark Jankowski and in 2013 when the Sabres took the big time sleeper pick Connor Hurley.

I think the lesson here is that most sleeper picks turn out to be a whole lot of nothing. Especially when teams reach for them in the top 2 rounds and waste that pick.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol, the thread about how he's been the best offensive defenseman in the league halfway through the season got closed. Luckily the thread of how Chytil snuck past him with his name spelled wrong is still around

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Best Leafs defender I have had the pleasure to watch. With the stream of negative threads such as jumping on Nylander or asking if the Tavares was worth it, this is much appreciated.

I never thought he'd get to the level he is currently playing at. He is looking like our Duncan Keith (although, not as likely to take a penalty or suspension).

The Duncan Keith part - does everyone agree that when comparing Mo to Norris winners in the past 15 years, he most resembles Duncan Keith? I agree but I'd love to hear other opinions.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
After the end of the 21-22 season.

I've been clamouring about this for a long time now but to me we have seen a Duncan Keith like jump offensively and overall for Mo. The Blackhawks were awfully successful when Keith took that leap and hopefully we will be just as successful as they were. It would be nice to have a balancing player on Rielly's pair like a Seabrook but I don't think we have that on the team or the system.
I've been calling him Keith for three to four years... Except he's usurped Keith's age 24 season already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad