Morgan Rielly

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Lol, the thread about how he's been the best offensive defenseman in the league halfway through the season got closed. Luckily the thread of how Chytil snuck past him with his name spelled wrong is still around

Funny, I've seen a few comments about Rielly getting "walked" by Chytil...replay clearly shows Morgan knocking the puck away, hitting Chytil's skate and going right back to his stick. But whatever, haters gonna...you know

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Funny, I've seen a few comments about Rielly getting "walked" by Chytil...replay clearly shows Morgan knocking the puck away, hitting Chytil's skate and going right back to his stick. But whatever, haters gonna...you know
Nope, he got walked. We need a #1D badly. lol

Kidding.....haters gonna......

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Lol, the thread about how he's been the best offensive defenseman in the league halfway through the season got closed. Luckily the thread of how Chytil snuck past him with his name spelled wrong is still around

That’s pretty hilarious. Rielly is scoring at a historic pace in the modern NHL era for defencemen. Definitely one of the most worthy threads out there, but I suppose it was too positive for everyone to handle.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
Maybe because . . . some people only comment here, and stay off of the main boards?
That could be a reason. :nod:
Ye I don't frequent the Main Boards unless there is something in particular I want to see/discuss - these boards generally have enough content to keep me busy.

Back on topic, it's actually something I've noticed aswell, noone talks about Reilly. Even the Toronto sports media is downplaying the year he had which is odd to say the least. The only reason I can see the "lack of love" fot Reilly continuing on is this is obviously a career year and I don't think people believe it is sustainable.

People forget he's only 24 and what do people always say about Dmen - they start to truly come into their own around 23/24/25.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
When will Rielly get the recognition and respect as a top 3 dman? He is Burke’s best pick and proving the haters wrong. Stats will prove it. I’m picking him as the Norris winner THIS season.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah I don't want to get too caught up in it because he wasn't even managing these numbers in Junior but 20+g and 60+assists seems really likely. Mike Green was a 14g scorer in Junior and 30 in the NHL so a greater total is unlikely but still doable.

Last edited:

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Many of Burke's decisions drove me (and may here) nuts during his tenure. Drafting Mo over a couple other solid candidates wasn't one of them... but I'd be lying if I said I saw this level of play coming.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
The Duncan Keith part - does everyone agree that when comparing Mo to Norris winners in the past 15 years, he most resembles Duncan Keith? I agree but I'd love to hear other opinions.

Perfect comparable. Not only on ice but both were drafted by terrible management,rushed into losing cultures, and despite this devolped into num 1 D. Heart. I think Mo had it worse for longer which makes all this so impressive. Dion..Lupal was an alternate ffs(fashion was his first love#notmycaptain). Despite all of the losing and jerseys on ice and Nonis and kessel etc etc he reached his potential. Special player, love him. No issues with him having the C

Reactions: Eb and saffronleaf

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I said this was coming for years now. Actually i said Karlsson type offense was possible from him. Glad he has come out and proven me right so far this eeason. He is not fully developed defensively yet but the improvement from pre- world cup is nothing short of exceptional!

If i could sum up his game now in a sentence i would say, He is playing like many thought he should.

Very progressed in his pro game as of now anyway.

Edit: i did not think he would be quite this good. I thought less points than this crazy pace he is on.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
It would be silly to give the captain to anyone other than morgan.

Funny how many leaf fans, even less than a year ago, were saying that we need to trade for a #1 dman.

This guy is our Keith. Will lead us to multiple cups and win the norris :p

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I thought that's what happened on first glance but honestly I can't tell without a slow mo.
Besides the point anyway. Good players make bad plays every game.

He has as many points as Patrick Kane lol. Goofy.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Mo is at a 29gl/98pt pace.

almost halfway thru the year.

For reference, this would be the highest total for a defenseman since Brian Leetch in 91-92.

Want to see a list of the other guys who've topped that, ever?

Bobby Orr
Paul Coffey
Al MacInnis
Denis Potvin

That is all. And two of those guys either basically hacked the game(Orr), or spent years playing with Gretzky(Coffey).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For reference, this would be the highest total for a defenseman since Brian Leetch in 91-92.

Want to see a list of the other guys who've topped that, ever?

Bobby Orr
Paul Coffey
Al MacInnis
Denis Potvin

That is all. And two of those guys either basically hacked the game(Orr), or spent years playing with Gretzky(Coffey).

and while scoring is up this year, it's still nowhere near the late 80s early 90s levels.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Top 30 Dmen PPG seasons (min. 30gms)

Orr: 1.78, 1.69, 1.65, 1.60, 1.58, 1.54
Coffey: 1.75, 1.58, 1.51, 1.51, 1.46, 1.29, 1.29, 1.20
Potvin: 1.38, 1.32, 1.26, 1.18
MacInnis: 1.32
Leetch: 1.28
Bourque: 1.26, 1.24, 1.23, 1.22, 1.18
Housley: 1.21
Suter: 1.21