Morgan Rielly

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
On the first page of this board I see:
*Willy looks bad
*Metcalf (wtf?)
*Worst Leaf of all time
*Millen vs Romanuk (are you f*cking kidding me?)
etc., etc., etc.

And yet not one thread dedicated to the defenseman who leads the league in scoring for D. What am I missing? I'm not hyping Norris, I am saying that this is the best presentation of one player on the back end the Leafs have had in years. Full stop.

I'm going out on a limb here folks. Morgan, you've been a revelation this year and I thank you. You're the best Dman we've had since Salming. I just wish your partner was more capable in playing a game that suited your strengths. Wishing you continued success.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
*Willy looks bad
*Metcalf (wtf?)
*Worst Leaf of all time
etc., etc., etc.

And yet not one thread dedicated to the defenseman who leads the league in scoring for D. What am I missing? I'm not hyping Norris, I am saying that this is the best presentation of one player on the back end the Leafs have had in years. Full stop.

I'm going out on a limb here folks. Morgan, you've been a revelation this year and I thank you. You're the best Dman we've had since Salming. I just wish your partner was more capable in playing a game that suited your strengths. Wishing you continued success.

I thought the metcalf news was important..

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't think this is going out on a limb, other than Salming he's clearly the best Dman I've ever seen wear the Maple Leaf. And this season he's playing as well as Salming ever did too, what a player!

And kudos to Babcock too. Remember all the grief he took for not playing Rielly on the PP from day one? I don't agree with everything he does by a long shot but Babcock knows a thing or two about player development, no doubt about it.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be the Norris favorite at this time!

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Don’t see any reason why he shouldn’t be the Norris favorite at this time!

definitely a finalist as of now.

1st in points
2nd in goals (only 1 of 11 on PP, Dumba has 6 of 12 on PP)
T-1st in +/-

only 4 PIMs this season as well. He's playing really well and with a pretty reasonable 22:20 a game (48th among D) he should stay strong throughout the season and not wear down hopefully.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
only 4 PIMs this season as well. He's playing really well and with a pretty reasonable 22:20 a game (48th among D) he should stay strong throughout the season and not wear down hopefully.

If I had to guess why people would say he doesn't deserve it, it would be because of his lowish ice time for a player of his stature, and that he doesn't really PK that often.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I saw him break out in game 3 vs Bruins. I think he gets it now. He is OUR guy for next 10 years. When he decides to dominate a game he is a difference maker. He will win the Norris at some point.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
*Willy looks bad
*Metcalf (wtf?)
*Worst Leaf of all time
etc., etc., etc.

I was thinking the exact same thing and was so close to starting it myself until I saw that Reilly has is own thread on the Mains. But yeah we should definitely have one here also. We're still 6 games away from mid-season where he can still get another 10 points so just imagine him having 50 points by 41 games. These points aren't coming by fluke, he works hard and smart to break up the opposition offensive plays to lead to our scoring. There will be lots of Leaf records broken this year.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
If he doesn’t win Norris this year, I am going to say that stop feeding 2-3 other teams and the whole NHL head office. Let these dogs see who is the one feeding them.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Hear hear!
Absolutely Rielly for Norris . . . should be the front runner currently. Obviously it's still early-ish, but it's around this time in the season where things settle down to trends and the outliers/hot starts fade away. 1 goal, 6 assists in his last 3 games...I'd say Rielly is heating up!

Yes, clearly he's the beneficiary of a super talented, high octane offense . . . but so is almost every single Norris winner/high scoring defenceman (save perhaps Karlsson when he was on Ottawa, but he played as a forward on D there). And he's always had the puck rushing and shooting skills, just starting to really maximise ontheir potential now.

He's my pick for captain . . . c'mon, Captain Morgan has a certain ring to it, no? :laugh:

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
If Reilly had a capable #2 on his pairing, he'd be a slam dunk for the Norris. What he is doing with Hainsey there is incredible.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
His ability to separate guys from the puck and little deft touches to move the puck along the boards gets me everytime. Imagine how he would look with an actually decent partner.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The best was a couple weeks ago on PTS, John Shannon was saying that Morgan Rielly is not only not a #1 d-man, but "at best" a #3. Like, I get if you want to argue that he isn't a true #1 and more a #2 (which I don't agree with). But a #3?!

Kid's a stud. He's flourished since Babcock has unleashed him on the PP and giving him big minutes to play. He's never going to be overly physical, but he more than compensates that with very good positioning. Been so much fun to see a home grown talent on the back end develop as he has into one of the best in the league.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I don't think this is going out on a limb, other than Salming he's clearly the best Dman I've ever seen wear the Maple Leaf. And this season he's playing as well as Salming ever did too, what a player!

And kudos to Babcock too. Remember all the grief he took for not playing Rielly on the PP from day one? I don't agree with everything he does by a long shot but Babcock knows a thing or two about player development, no doubt about it.

Salming was a better defensive player than Rielly, at this time, and had to put up with far more sh*t than Rielly has ever faced. One of the great misfortunes was Salming not winning the Norris. His competition was very strong, no need to name them, but none faced the hatred from being an outsider as did Salming, and the physical abuse he faced because of it. That man was a warrior!

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Underrated across the hockey universe.
He did take some time to get to this state though; If he can maintain play again next year, I think we can put him up with the best in the league.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm not hyping Norris,

why not?

the only serious challenger at this point would be Gio - he's the only other guy facing the other team's top line every night and still dominating offensively.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
The only players with a higher point production than Rielly from his draft are Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

We got lucky getting Mo at 5

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
why not?

the only serious challenger at this point would be Gio - he's the only other guy facing the other team's top line every night and still dominating offensively.

And leading the league in the plus/minus with a +21

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
I'm not a Burke fan in the least and he's really been pissing me off lately with his anti-Leafs rants lately but man was he right when he said the Leafs had Rielly at #1 overall in their draft rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad