Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That extension must've lifted a weight off his shoulders because he's been one of the best defensemen in the world since he signed.

There's no doubt he took a significant discount if his play stays at this level. I mean when guys like Nurse are signing for over $9 million, Riellys deal looks like a beauty. And frankly Muzzins decline has made keeping Rielly all the more important.

I'll admit that I thought trading Rielly last summer should've been considered. But his reasonable extension combined with his stellar play has shut me up, very happy to have him for awhile.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I have contended online here in the past, that Rielly should have been given the captaincy back when it was a hot topic of discussion, and eventually defaulted to Tavares . . .

...hot take: if Rielly had been given the C, we make it to the 2nd round last year. :P

(may be just my superfandom for Rielly, but there it is)

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This place has changed since a bunch of people were demanding he get traded and that Holl was a better dman.
Never change HFboards

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I thought moving Reilly was an inevitability because of rising d salaries. On this deal, he is a core piece at good value.

I laugh at myself that now that he is signed i can root for him to get points.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Team Canada gonna have some tough choices for LHD, especially as its's rumored Toews wasnt on the 50 player list.

Theodore Pietrangelo
Weegar Ekblad
Rielly Makar
Chabot Doughty

Go 8 D and take these 8?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Said a couple times, Reilly kept the points down to keep his AAV down cuz he’s a team guy. Now he’s back to kicking butt.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Team Canada gonna have some tough choices for LHD, especially as its's rumored Toews wasnt on the 50 player list.

Theodore Pietrangelo
Weegar Ekblad
Rielly Makar
Chabot Doughty

Go 8 D and take these 8?

It's a nice surprise that Mo has put himself legitimately back in the picture.

I'd be hard pressed not to go with

Toews - Makar
Weegar - Ekblad

Both pairs have just been too dominant this year. And last year too tbh.

And on the bottom pair I guess we have no choice with Pietro.

For the last spot while I'd love to see Mo in there....given that the PP is well filled by Makar and Toews/Ekblad/Pietro I'd probably go with a more defensive and PK guy down there like Pelech.

So I guess Pelech-Pietro for my last pair.

Mo would be a good choice for the 7th spot, able to fill in on any of those pairings and in all situations - and even maybe just to inject more puck moving and footspeed if a guy like Weegar struggles.

I'd say Mo has definitely moved ahead of Theodore with his play this year.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Here’s a great quote from Soupy regarding his he feels about Mo ..

“He’s just a superstar,” beams goaltender Jack Campbell, the exact guy you’d like a prospective employer to call for a reference. “He does it all. Just such a world-class skater. Defensively, he’s textbook. Everything he does is amazing, and his leadership in the room and the competitiveness he has to win every night is infectious.”

Reactions: meefer and Lumberg

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

“He’s just a superstar,” beams goaltender Jack Campbell, the exact guy you’d like a prospective employer to call for a reference. “He does it all. Just such a world-class skater. Defensively, he’s textbook. Everything he does is amazing, and his leadership in the room and the competitiveness he has to win every night is infectious.”

I don't know if I like the praise given, or the person giving it more. I'm not sure if I'd agree with that 'everything' comment, but Rielly is a damned fine hockey player, and by what's been reported, is a better human being. And, he steps it up in the playoffs. Outside of Soup, he would be the player on our team I'd least like to see injured. Over the last three playoffs, you just can't replace his 26:52/game, 7th OA for Dmen.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s been a f***ing stud this year, playing the best 2-way hockey of his life IMO. Obviously he’s elite in terms of offence and puck moving, and strong too, but his defensive game has taken a step forward too. He’s legit strong defensively, and making very few mistakes.

Quality #1 dman, no doubt.

Mar 14, 2011
Rielly could have easily gotten 8.5-9 mill as a UFA, maybe even more if he goes to a desperate team. He must really love playing here if he was willing to sign such a discounted contract.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Feels like Campbell (and Rielly) are helping to create more of a team environment...hoping it helps translate more to on-ice success when it counts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad