Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's a nice surprise that Mo has put himself legitimately back in the picture.

I'd be hard pressed not to go with

Toews - Makar
Weegar - Ekblad

Both pairs have just been too dominant this year. And last year too tbh.

And on the bottom pair I guess we have no choice with Pietro.

For the last spot while I'd love to see Mo in there....given that the PP is well filled by Makar and Toews/Ekblad/Pietro I'd probably go with a more defensive and PK guy down there like Pelech.

So I guess Pelech-Pietro for my last pair.

Mo would be a good choice for the 7th spot, able to fill in on any of those pairings and in all situations - and even maybe just to inject more puck moving and footspeed if a guy like Weegar struggles.

I'd say Mo has definitely moved ahead of Theodore with his play this year.

there are reports toews isn’t on the list.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What is the purpose of having that initial list anyways?

Well, too bad for canada. That's maybe the best pairing in hockey right now.

drug testing. I never realized it before but seravalli and Johnston have both said it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes due to drug testing. Started in sept? I think
That's crazy, IMO.
It would be interesting to see the list, I imagine there are some exclusions/inclusions that look pretty bad in hindsight.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Typical Canada hockey blindness that they'd have Pietro as an auto selection and Toews not even on the long list.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's crazy, IMO.
It would be interesting to see the list, I imagine there are some exclusions/inclusions that look pretty bad in hindsight.

well Campbell apparently isn’t on the us list. That looks pretty silly.

Naz for Canada

the young Swede in detroit

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
well Campbell apparently isn’t on the us list. That looks pretty silly.

Naz for Canada

the young Swede in detroit
In defense they were in a tough spot having to make the selections so early.
Did they limit it to 50 or is that an Olympic rule?

** not that it matters really, can't see the players going anyway.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In defense they were in a tough spot having to make the selections so early.
Did they limit it to 50 or is that an Olympic rule?

** not that it matters really, can't see the players going anyway.

I agree I don’t see the players going. I don’t see why they couldn’t have made the tournament in Vegas or something and just agreed to give the IOC the money. But anyway.

Apparently it is 50’skaters and 5 goalies. It’s the logistics of it all. One. Players don’t want to go through all the testing if they don’t have a shot.

Two. You have to have qualified people to do the collection and testing.

beyond that apparently there are b team players if the nhl won’t go. So I don’t understand? I’m just saying what I heard. I listen to a lot of pods on the way to work

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
All of that b.s. Morgan got for ruining the Leafs PP.
Fake news.

Best Dman PP p/60 since 16-17, min 200 minutes:

1. Fox 6.84
2. Hedman 6.78
3. Pionk 6.71
4. Krug 6.24
5. Makar 6.08
6. Hughes 5.99
7. Rielly 5.84
8. Carlson 5.76
9. Klingberg 5.35
10. DeAngelo 5.25

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I agree I don’t see the players going. I don’t see why they couldn’t have made the tournament in Vegas or something and just agreed to give the IOC the money. But anyway.

Apparently it is 50’skaters and 5 goalies. It’s the logistics of it all. One. Players don’t want to go through all the testing if they don’t have a shot.

Two. You have to have qualified people to do the collection and testing.

beyond that apparently there are b team players if the nhl won’t go. So I don’t understand? I’m just saying what I heard. I listen to a lot of pods on the way to work
I would think if a player didn't think he had any shot he would just ask not to be included. Whole thing just seems a little short sighted.

Appreciate the info.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This is peak Captain Morgan, with the most complete team -- and by far the best D corps -- he's ever played on. Turns out he was a very good #1 D man, but just needed to not play with .... Hainsey, Zaitsev, Hunwick, Polak or Marincin.

I thought Hainsey was pretty good for us for quite a bit while he was here, just old.

Polak, love the guy he was a warrior for us.

The rest of the guys yes talk all the shit you want about them.

Reactions: TMLife17

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Where are all the dumbasses who wanted to trade him away and have Sandin fill in his spot? They would have a lottery team defense right now if that happened

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

He’s right.

Anti-Leaf bias at it's finest...the year when Rielly scored 20 goals, 72 points, he was robbed by the media of a Norris nomination...Rielly was much better than Hedman that year...Hedman was nominated instead and the justification was he had 3 consecutive years of 50 plus points - when does past performance get figured into a given year's Norris nomination? It was freakin' pathetic, disgusting really!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Morgan Rielly since signing his contract:

34 games - 5 goals - 30 assists - 35 points

An 84 point pace while logging heavy minutes on the top unit. Worth every penny
For me it is nothing to do with points but rather watching him develop on defensive side of game .. he has learned da game and you don't see him flying up ice often trying to race through team .. he is a true vet now

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah Rielly does have that sort of True Vet look to him these days. Did Brodie play with Giordano primarily in Calgary? I see Rielly headed in that direction even though his offensive numbers have been incredible he seems more all situations somehow and things don’t seem to break down around him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad