Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by moon111, Oct 8, 2018.

1. moon111

moon111 Registered User

[​IMG]
    Morgan Rielly was taken with the 5th overall pick in 2012. There was fear his knee injury was going to be a liability but doesn't look like it slowed him down at all. Looking at the NHL leaders on defense last year, many of them weren't at Rielly's levels as 24 year olds. Personally I think it's still in his nature to puck-watch at times, but seems to always respond when the Leafs have had a particularly bad game defensively. Although it's still early in the season, he's currently leading all NHL defensemen in scoring, and is tied for 3rd overall for all players in points. All this while giving away the puck less then Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, and Dermott so far. Think at times we take Rielly for granted and expect his results, but when looking at the trajectory of most of the top defense-men, they actually kept getting better. Think we're going to see a star on the Leafs start becoming a star in the NHL.

Eric bungay and NiftyMits like this.
  2. BAM

BAM Registered User

Really looking like he'll establish himself as a top 10 D-man this year if he continues what he's been doing. Obviously he isn't going to be ppg but especially with the pp I wouldn't be shocked if he improved off of the 52 point last year.

3. LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75 Registered User

Rielly might not be as flashy compared to other defenseman like Drew Doughty or Erik Karlsson, but he gets the job done and is the Leafs best defenseman and I can see him getting between 55-60 points this season.

4. IPS

IPS Registered User

Just like Gardiner, we've yet to provide Rielly a proper partner. Rielly is awesome at moving the puck, making timely pinches, and exiting the zone. We need to get him a partner who can be physical in front of the net and down low and can be physical to free up the puck for Rielly.

Eric bungay, SAMCRO44, Smif and 2 others like this.
  5. Greasy Armadillo

Greasy Armadillo Previously Joffrey Baratheon

he's delivering for my fantasy team

Ziggdiezan likes this.
  6. Al14

Al14 Registered User

He's still not that bonafide #1 D! Getting closer, but not there yet. JMHO.

7. meefer

meefer Registered User

Take a look at D Keith, look at M Rielly same ages...we’ve a good to great Dman here folks and as IPS said, he’s not yet been matched with his proper mate.

8. Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan Registered User

Imagine a Rielly-Manson pairing....

The thing of wet dreams.

REALTALK81 and LeafingTheWay like this.
  9. crump

crump ~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

#1 in league D scoring..unless someone had a big game tonight.

10. kk87

kk87 Registered User

University Student
    Easily the most underappreciated player on the team - just as valuable to this team currently as anyone on the roster. Gives our backend a semblance of structure and consistency (although he can only do so much on his own).

My biggest issue with him is his oft-brutal shot selection on the PP and in OT, but I think I can look past that :sarcasm:

11. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Registered User

Want to echo the same thing that's been said; we need to get him his good complimentary partner. Manson would be absolutely ideal. Not many people seem to realize that Keith didn't become Keith until Seabrook became a thing. Rielly is already nearing Keith levels of offence. Give him Manson and watch that become amazing.

12. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

Soooo, Rielly cant be really good unless his partner makes him really good eh ... leafs fans lol anyone know who Orr, lindstrom, etc played with?

13. CromLeafsFan

CromLeafsFan Registered User

I'd guess someone better than Ron Hainsey...

Maple Leafs likes this.
  14. ponder

ponder Registered User

He’s awesome. Playing with more confidence than ever, he’s quickly becoming one of the top offensive dmen in the league. Also very strong/solidly built, not a big hitter but he wins puck battles. Not a shutdown defender, but getting pretty good in his own end. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him establish himself as a top 10 dman this year, looks like he’s taken a step forward.

15. Max Money

Max Money #OneManBand

Terrific player. Watching him develop has been a joy.

marty111 likes this.
  16. Canada4Gold

Canada4Gold Registered User

I said before the year started. He's a 70 point defenceman this year. A the main boards will still call him a number 2.

17. zeke

zeke #freeVladdy

60pt pace over this year and last year.

18. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

Outside of truly elite offensive talents like Karlsson, and to a lesser extent Burns, defenders Offensive production is extremely dependent on opportunity and teammates (especially PP time). If we stick to this PP set-up and give it a 1:15 to 1:30 on average, he could finish top 5 in defender scoring. If he can stay healthy, and our unit stays a top 5 one in the league, he has a solid shot at 60.

He still makes small mistakes in his own zone, but he's truly emerging as a defender you can build around. The key will be finding him a solid complimentary partner.

19. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Lidstrom played with low-end #1s or high end #2s pretty much his whole career, not sure that's the example you want to use.

20. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

so all of his partner"s" made him one of the greatest d'men of all time, is that the point you are trying to make?

21. cookie

cookie Fresh From The Oven

He puts up just as many points as top NHL defenders with the added bonus of not needing to play sheltered minutes and with significantly fewer minutes on the powerplay. Rielly is a top notch point producing defenseman and if he is able to confidently combine his skating game and puck skills in the defensive end, he'd be even better. We need to free him from the boat anchor he's with so he can better dictate games from the back end.

22. ponder

ponder Registered User

Nobody’s saying Rielly is an all time great dman. Just that he looks like he’s taken a significant step forward this season, and if he has, he’ll be a roughly top 10 dman.

Also, a roughly top 10 dman doesn’t make a top 10 pair on his own - he’d need an approximately top 10 #2 dman to do that. I like Hainsey, but he’s getting older - he was a solid 3D in his prime, but is more of a 4-6 type now. If we could put a good 2D beside Rielly, like a Martinez/Stralman/Tanev type, I think we’d be looking at a top 10 pairing. With Hainsey, it’s probably top 20 or so.

23. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Why invent arguments no one is making? Rielly has to clean up Hainsey's mistakes and that pairing is easy to abuse if you pressure Hainsey's side. Lidstrom did not have to deal with those kinds of issues becuase his partners were all competent top pair defenders on their own.

Lidstrom made himself great and Detroit helped put him in a situation where he could make the most of his talent without getting weighed down by guys who have no business in a top 4.

Kubus likes this.
  24. Zybalto

Zybalto Registered User

Nice to see him really flying out there the last two games. Gonna put up a ton of points this year with our forward core....but I also have to push back against the Hainsey hate.

With Hainsey this year so far, Rielly has been spectacular. Without Hainsey, he has been a trainwreck. Small sample size I know thats what the data is showing. Most of these problems seem to stem from the occasional shifts he plays with Gardiner. It didnt work well in the playoffs and its even worse now. I wish Babcock would stop doing it.

Edit: Maybe a little harsh against Gards and it might be more me lashing out over them sucking hard together in the playoffs.

Rielly playing with Oz is the main reason his numbers were pretty bad the first couple games. He's a stud for this team the next decade and I echo the sentiment me have to find him a long term partner.....but Hainsey has been solid the last couple games so lets not rip him too hard.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  25. leburn98

leburn98 Registered User

I agree with you about Hainsey. Hainsey allows Rielly to play his game. The issue with Hainsey is he is 37 years old and can't handle top line minutes and be relied upon to kill every penalty for all 82 games and the playoffs. He is worn down by season's end. If Hainsey was 10 years younger, he would be a fantastic partner for Rielly.

What Rielly needs is a dman who can lock it down defensively and allow Rielly to play his game. Something similar to when the Sens had Methot/Karlsson or Chicago running Keith/Seabrooke.