Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
fg1tWiC.jpg

Morgan Rielly was taken with the 5th overall pick in 2012. There was fear his knee injury was going to be a liability but doesn't look like it slowed him down at all. Looking at the NHL leaders on defense last year, many of them weren't at Rielly's levels as 24 year olds. Personally I think it's still in his nature to puck-watch at times, but seems to always respond when the Leafs have had a particularly bad game defensively. Although it's still early in the season, he's currently leading all NHL defensemen in scoring, and is tied for 3rd overall for all players in points. All this while giving away the puck less then Gardiner, Zaitsev, Hainsey, and Dermott so far. Think at times we take Rielly for granted and expect his results, but when looking at the trajectory of most of the top defense-men, they actually kept getting better. Think we're going to see a star on the Leafs start becoming a star in the NHL.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Really looking like he'll establish himself as a top 10 D-man this year if he continues what he's been doing. Obviously he isn't going to be ppg but especially with the pp I wouldn't be shocked if he improved off of the 52 point last year.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rielly might not be as flashy compared to other defenseman like Drew Doughty or Erik Karlsson, but he gets the job done and is the Leafs best defenseman and I can see him getting between 55-60 points this season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Just like Gardiner, we've yet to provide Rielly a proper partner. Rielly is awesome at moving the puck, making timely pinches, and exiting the zone. We need to get him a partner who can be physical in front of the net and down low and can be physical to free up the puck for Rielly.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He's still not that bonafide #1 D! Getting closer, but not there yet. JMHO.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Take a look at D Keith, look at M Rielly same ages...we’ve a good to great Dman here folks and as IPS said, he’s not yet been matched with his proper mate.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Just like Gardiner, we've yet to provide Rielly a proper partner. Rielly is awesome at moving the puck, making timely pinches, and exiting the zone. We need to get him a partner who can be physical in front of the net and down low and can be physical to free up the puck for Rielly.
Imagine a Rielly-Manson pairing....

The thing of wet dreams.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Easily the most underappreciated player on the team - just as valuable to this team currently as anyone on the roster. Gives our backend a semblance of structure and consistency (although he can only do so much on his own).

My biggest issue with him is his oft-brutal shot selection on the PP and in OT, but I think I can look past that :sarcasm:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Want to echo the same thing that's been said; we need to get him his good complimentary partner. Manson would be absolutely ideal. Not many people seem to realize that Keith didn't become Keith until Seabrook became a thing. Rielly is already nearing Keith levels of offence. Give him Manson and watch that become amazing.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Soooo, Rielly cant be really good unless his partner makes him really good eh ... leafs fans lol anyone know who Orr, lindstrom, etc played with?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s awesome. Playing with more confidence than ever, he’s quickly becoming one of the top offensive dmen in the league. Also very strong/solidly built, not a big hitter but he wins puck battles. Not a shutdown defender, but getting pretty good in his own end. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him establish himself as a top 10 dman this year, looks like he’s taken a step forward.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I said before the year started. He's a 70 point defenceman this year. A the main boards will still call him a number 2.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Outside of truly elite offensive talents like Karlsson, and to a lesser extent Burns, defenders Offensive production is extremely dependent on opportunity and teammates (especially PP time). If we stick to this PP set-up and give it a 1:15 to 1:30 on average, he could finish top 5 in defender scoring. If he can stay healthy, and our unit stays a top 5 one in the league, he has a solid shot at 60.

He still makes small mistakes in his own zone, but he's truly emerging as a defender you can build around. The key will be finding him a solid complimentary partner.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Soooo, Rielly cant be really good unless his partner makes him really good eh ... leafs fans lol anyone know who Orr, lindstrom, etc played with?

Lidstrom played with low-end #1s or high end #2s pretty much his whole career, not sure that's the example you want to use.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lidstrom played with low-end #1s or high end #2s pretty much his whole career, not sure that's the example you want to use.

so all of his partner"s" made him one of the greatest d'men of all time, is that the point you are trying to make?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
He puts up just as many points as top NHL defenders with the added bonus of not needing to play sheltered minutes and with significantly fewer minutes on the powerplay. Rielly is a top notch point producing defenseman and if he is able to confidently combine his skating game and puck skills in the defensive end, he'd be even better. We need to free him from the boat anchor he's with so he can better dictate games from the back end.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nobody’s saying Rielly is an all time great dman. Just that he looks like he’s taken a significant step forward this season, and if he has, he’ll be a roughly top 10 dman.

Also, a roughly top 10 dman doesn’t make a top 10 pair on his own - he’d need an approximately top 10 #2 dman to do that. I like Hainsey, but he’s getting older - he was a solid 3D in his prime, but is more of a 4-6 type now. If we could put a good 2D beside Rielly, like a Martinez/Stralman/Tanev type, I think we’d be looking at a top 10 pairing. With Hainsey, it’s probably top 20 or so.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
so all of his partner"s" made him one of the greatest d'men of all time, is that the point you are trying to make?

Why invent arguments no one is making? Rielly has to clean up Hainsey's mistakes and that pairing is easy to abuse if you pressure Hainsey's side. Lidstrom did not have to deal with those kinds of issues becuase his partners were all competent top pair defenders on their own.

Lidstrom made himself great and Detroit helped put him in a situation where he could make the most of his talent without getting weighed down by guys who have no business in a top 4.

Reactions: Kubus

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Nice to see him really flying out there the last two games. Gonna put up a ton of points this year with our forward core....but I also have to push back against the Hainsey hate.

With Hainsey this year so far, Rielly has been spectacular. Without Hainsey, he has been a trainwreck. Small sample size I know thats what the data is showing. Most of these problems seem to stem from the occasional shifts he plays with Gardiner. It didnt work well in the playoffs and its even worse now. I wish Babcock would stop doing it.

Edit: Maybe a little harsh against Gards and it might be more me lashing out over them sucking hard together in the playoffs.

Rielly playing with Oz is the main reason his numbers were pretty bad the first couple games. He's a stud for this team the next decade and I echo the sentiment me have to find him a long term partner.....but Hainsey has been solid the last couple games so lets not rip him too hard.

Last edited:

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Nice to see him really flying out there the last two games. Gonna put up a ton of points this year with our forward core....but I also have to push back against the Hainsey hate.

With Hainsey this year so far, Rielly has been spectacular. Without Hainsey, he has been a trainwreck. Small sample size I know thats what the data is showing. Most of these problems seem to stem from the occasional shifts he plays with Gardiner. It didnt work well in the playoffs and its even worse now. I wish Babcock would stop doing it.
I agree with you about Hainsey. Hainsey allows Rielly to play his game. The issue with Hainsey is he is 37 years old and can't handle top line minutes and be relied upon to kill every penalty for all 82 games and the playoffs. He is worn down by season's end. If Hainsey was 10 years younger, he would be a fantastic partner for Rielly.

What Rielly needs is a dman who can lock it down defensively and allow Rielly to play his game. Something similar to when the Sens had Methot/Karlsson or Chicago running Keith/Seabrooke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->