Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The only thing Rielly is missing these days, is a strong point shot. Still scoring a lot of goals without it.

The only way he isn't the captain of the Leafs next year is if Matthews demands it

Also, i think he will end the year around 75 points and top 3 Norris. Right now hes the frontrunner
Tell me the last time you seen a player score from the point with a slap shot. Most of those type goals are from the faceoff dot. Morgan distributes the puck better then most from the point. Two years ago the second unit was better on the Pp then our top unit was last year and the difference in players was Rielly on that unit and not Gardiner. As Rielly was playing mostly PK. Now Marner was also a lot better but Rielly gets him the puck a lot better then Gardiner can.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Has it really been 3 years since this thread had any activity!?

Well I think this Mo thread deserves a well earned bump to the top of the queue.

He's been fantastic all year. He's currently tied for 6th in the NHL for points as a Defenseman, and he has just been on an absolute tear since signing his ticket.

You can also see him evolving as the true leader on this team. He clearly understands his voice holds value in that room. It's really nice to see. He always gave me timid vibes when he stepped into the league, which is completely understandable given how young he was when he broke into the league. But he has a confidence now when he speaks that is really indicative of a strong leader. I watched his post game press conference yesterday and I was so impressed. Had a 4pt night, and when asked about that achievement he was quick to address the very clear and obvious deficiencies from himself and his team instead of patting himself on the back. You can tell he cares more about the W's instead of the accolades

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Has it really been 3 years since this thread had any activity!?

Well I think this Mo thread deserves a well earned bump to the top of the queue.

He's been fantastic all year. He's currently tied for 6th in the NHL for points as a Defenseman, and he has just been on an absolute tear since signing his ticket.

You can also see him evolving as the true leader on this team. He clearly understands his voice holds value in that room. It's really nice to see. He always gave me timid vibes when he stepped into the league, which is completely understandable given how young he was when he broke into the league. But he has a confidence now when he speaks that is really indicative of a strong leader. I watched his post game press conference yesterday and I was so impressed. Had a 4pt night, and when asked about that achievement he was quick to address the very clear and obvious deficiencies from himself and his team instead of patting himself on the back. You can tell he cares more about the W's instead of the accolades

the tweet is wrong.

Mo has 18pts in 19gms since the signing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ya I thought I saw that last night on my timeline, but I couldn't locate the tweet. Found this one instead.

Mo has been on fire
Not surprised he had a big game last night. He was unusually fired up in the pre-game interview.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Quiet leader, leads by example, we're lucky he was willing to sign an extension for a team friendly price. Now if we can only get Campbell to do the same soon, I will feel pretty optimistic about the future. :)

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
tumblr_m630pvFvfb1qzw3v6o1_500.gif

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly is improving every year as an NHL defense .. gotta give him all da credit in world .. his defensive play is so much better then it was even 3 years ago in playoffs .. his positioning is night and day better and he is not running around in is own end anymore .. smart team guy .. glad we made da deal happen .. even if it looks bad in last couple years

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Reilly is having a good year but can Reilly handle the forecheck in the playoffs and handle himself defending the cycle. Based on the past, i have my doubts.
That’s my concern as well. I’m dieing to say I’m wrong about the Rielly signing and that this is a good signing. So far it looks good from the box score. I think it was an important signing just from a continuity and team morale standpoint and he is good. Other then his weak flick shot from the point he’s pretty much an elite offensive d-man. Defensively he’s average. How has he been defensively recently? I’m living offshore last couple months so I haven’t been able to watch recently.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Morgan Rielly is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickkkkkkkkkk

It was really frustrating seeing how many people were eager to cut bait on him last year. This guy is an unreal hockey player and he raises his game in the playoffs too. To my wacky eyes at least, he's been a lot stronger in the defensive end this year, particularly off the rush. I've been actively noticing him making great defensive reads. All that time with Brodie is really paying off. He's the #1D on the current 3rd best GA/GP team in the league. Keefe is giving him big responsibility and getting paid big results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad