Morgan Rielly Appreciation Thread.

Mar 14, 2011
Reilly is having a good year but can Reilly handle the forecheck in the playoffs and handle himself defending the cycle. Based on the past, i have my doubts.
During the Leafs last 2 playoff series (CBJ and MTL) Rielly has a 1.34 GA/60 during 5 vs 5 situation, for comparison, Muzzin who we all could agree was an absolute rock in the defensive zone during these 2 series actually has a 1.47 GA/60.

The main culprit for the Leafs lack of success during their last 2 playoff runs is the offence, not the defence and goaltending which has actually been really solid. In fact during the last 2 playoffs, the Leafs GA/60 is 3rd out of 24 teams, only the pesky CBJ and Tampa has them beat. Meanwhile the offence actually ranked 19th of out the 24 teams, for a team that has the firepower the Leafs had during those runs that is totally unacceptable.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
During the Leafs last 2 playoff series (CBJ and MTL) Rielly has a 1.34 GA/60 during 5 vs 5 situation, for comparison, Muzzin who we all could agree was an absolute rock in the defensive zone during these 2 series actually has a 1.47 GA/60.

The main culprit for the Leafs lack of success during their last 2 playoff runs is the offence, not the defence and goaltending which has actually been really solid. In fact during the last 2 playoffs, the Leafs GA/60 is 3rd out of 24 teams, only the pesky CBJ and Tampa has them beat. Meanwhile the offence actually ranked 19th of out the 24 teams, for a team that has the firepower the Leafs had during those runs that is totally unacceptable.
Defence often drives the Leafs offense which us why it us constructed in the manner it is. Dermott, Sandin, Reilly, Lily, are all weak on the d side and when they have to work extra hard in their zone the puck doesn't move. Thus our history of small quick forwards kills us.
Hope is with Ritchie, Simmons, Clifford, Bunting, micky, etc this team can play tighter in their own end and forecheck better.
Reilly does not seem capable of playing both ends in the same game, one or the other.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Blockbuster trade coming, only because someone is loathed internally and externally and its gotten too much....

Leave it to beaver is getting traded...

Didn't claim any sources.... Just stated what is my opinion. I seek safe hockey fan board harbor..

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Blockbuster trade coming, only because someone is loathed internally and externally and its gotten too much....

Leave it to beaver is getting traded...

Didn't claim any sources.... Just stated what is my opinion. I seek safe hockey fan board harbor..

what are you even talking about?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don’t know if he was at all weighed down by being in his final year and thus uncertain free agency, but he is skating with more conviction, speed, aggressiveness and confidence ever since he signed his extension. As if a huge burden was lifted off him knowing he’s here and secure for at least almost another decade.

Just love him. From the second he was drafted to now. And for many more years to come.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
it happens so seldom with players in his bracket (2nd post RFA contract), but, he's getting better since signing his long term deal

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
For defensemen, Morgan Rielly is:
*8th in scoring
*21st in TOI
*14th in +/-
*15th in equal strength points
*11th P/60
*15th PPP/60
*10th PPG

What the f*ck do you people want? He exits the zone better than most, his D metrics are better than before. He is a valued, respected member of the team. His playoff performances have been above the levels of most of his teammates. His contract is not egregious. Really, there are still people bitching about Rielly? Shake...my...head!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
*8th in scoring
*21st in TOI
*14th in +/-
*11th P/60
*15th PPP/60
*10th PPG

What the f*ck do you people want? He exits the zone better than most, his D metrics are better than before. He is a valued, respected member of the team. His playoff performances have been above the levels of most of his teammates. His contract is not egregious. Really, there are still people bitching about Rielly? Shake...my...head!

Thank god the extension is done, don't need to have that question hanging in the air. I've got enough stress worrying about Campbell, I really hope that's the #1 priority of monsieur Dubas, if not there's something wrong with that boy.

Reactions: Jojalu

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
*8th in scoring
*21st in TOI
*14th in +/-
*11th P/60
*15th PPP/60
*10th PPG

I have to admit he has made significant improvements in his defensive positioning over da years which happens with more pro game reps/seeing situations .. he will never have da innate power and strength to be a shutdown guy but he is significantly better in his positioning defensively today .. he does not run around in his own end anymore causing more issues .. I hope what we have seen with Rielly also happens with Dermy .. but we all have to remember it takes a long long long time for young defenders to learn da pro game .. bottom line it takes time to develop a dman

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Among Defensemen:
5th in scoring
10th in +/-
3rd in EVP
24mins/game

Yet some people think this guy isn't worth his contract. D*mbasses.

Anybody that thinks that is a fool and should have their opinion disregarded. Especially with how some defensemen are being paid, Rielly's is at worst fair value, but looks more like a steal right now.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Anybody that thinks that is a fool and should have their opinion disregarded. Especially with how some defensemen are being paid, Rielly's is at worst fair value, but looks more like a steal right now.
Darnell Nurse is making almost 2M more than Rielly per year. That boy fleeced the Oilers

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Mar 26, 2010
Darnell Nurse is making almost 2M more than Rielly per year. That boy fleeced the Oilers
Nurse is a #4 D man, second pairing guy. That is the very worst contact in the NHL. Just awful.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I debated quite a few people last year here say Muzzin was our best defenseman. I've always liked Rielly but odd man rushes against him he's always made me nervous. Well last year was last year, Muzzin is apparently regressing some while Rielly has just been excellent this season. Maybe signing the contract freed him up to play his game. Whatever you're doing Mo keep up the great work. I hope Muzzin rebounds to make this a debate again. That will only improve the team as a whole. But right now, Mo is the man on the blue line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad