Morgan Frost next contract?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So…. Morgan Frost, sounds like he is no Noah Cates but then again, who really is?

I like thus guy. You can stay.

Just for documentation purposes though, have you ever been involved in high level hockey locker room talk that would cause a casual listener to have severe health problems? If so, could you share said conversations?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Just for documentation purposes though, have you ever been involved in high level hockey locker room talk that would cause a casual listener to have severe health problems? If so, could you share said conversations?

No. He cannot stay. He failed the Hot Dog Test.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002

based on previous experience, i am going to plead the 5th on this one.

No. He cannot stay. He failed the Hot Dog Test.

and now i feel a level of shame that i havent felt since that one time in band camp ...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The really sad part is that you genuinely thought you were smart typing this out. :snide:

Farabee's ES production has been good this season. It was very good earlier in the season, but it's fallen off recently because he's gotten stuck playing with Cates, who can't create anything for his wingers.
I suspect Farabee's production has fallen off more b/c he simply isn't in shape for an 82 game season and is struggling, we'll see if the All Star break revives him. TK doesn't seem to be affected playing with Cates.

Since being paired with those two, Cates is scoring at 1.57 pp/60, which is solid 3C production. Which ain't bad for a defense first player who's learning to play center on the fly.

Frost and Cates are different types of players filing different roles, just be happy we have both for the indefinite future and both seem to be steadily improving this season. Neither is an elite player that can carry a team, both can be valuable starters on a playoff team down the road.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

and now i feel a level of shame that i havent felt since that one time in band camp ...

Let's talk about horses for a little bit. You ever find your pulse rising or notice your thoughts wandering when you see a musclebound stallion cantering through a field?

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Hot dogs are delicious. The rest is just window dressing.

Are we sure? Does he have his adenoids?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

A hot dog isn't a sandwich, so you passed. Ignore Beef.

I do need answers on the locker room talk though. It's a requirement, I'm sorry.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
I don't think Cates is a finished product, given he was a LW in college who is learning to play center on the Fly, matched up against opponent's best line. So people jumping to conclusions is a bit premature.

1.57 pp/60 his last 26 games, since the lines were set and he got to play with the same wings on a regular basis.
So he's showing substantial improvement as the season progresses.

If Couts returns close to a 100% as the 1C, Cates' defensive workload will be reduced and he can focus more on creating offensively.

Cates has an off the chart hockey IQ as well as great hands, he's the one Flyer who can consistently come away with the puck in a crowd. I wouldn't bet against him - smart players with high work ethics tend to improve throughout their 20s.
A new Couturier would be the high end potential.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Attachments

• nc.jpg
    nc.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 4

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
So how has looked recently? Any new speculation on his next contract?

Morgan Frost (not Noah Cates 🤭)
He’s been pretty consistent after his first 20 games. He’s going to finish with about 40 points, give or take a few either direction. The last 50ish games he’s been on a 50 point pace getting fairly decent usage, at 5v5 (awful on PP, but the pp coaching staff is awful).

No speculation that I have seen, but they own his rights for the next 3 or 4 years. I imagine they’ll go 2 years around 2 to 3M.

A lot would depend on the direction mgmt takes for next few seasons imo. A 2 year deal gives them some additional flexibility to move him next year or the following if the opportunity arises.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
He’s been pretty consistent after his first 20 games. He’s going to finish with about 40 points, give or take a few either direction. The last 50ish games he’s been on a 50 point pace getting fairly decent usage, at 5v5 (awful on PP, but the pp coaching staff is awful).

No speculation that I have seen, but they own his rights for the next 3 or 4 years. I imagine they’ll go 2 years around 2 to 3M.

A lot would depend on the direction mgmt takes for next few seasons imo. A 2 year deal gives them some additional flexibility to move him next year or the following if the opportunity arises.
2/3 year deal and do not overpay at all is what they should do. If you have to pay later then so be it.

torts will want to move on from him. We shall see how much Briere is running the show.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
2/3 year deal and do not overpay at all is what they should do. If you have to pay later then so be it.

torts will want to move on from him. We shall see how much Briere is running the show.
Why would Torts want to move on? He's using Frost as his de facto 1C.
Sure, he pushes him, that's how he handles young players, wants them to push their limits.
Plays Tippett a lot of minutes, Cates in all roles, demands Frost produce more on offense. York on the 1st pair.

When you're in the Torts doghouse, you'll know when your PT plummets (see Bellows).

Now some guys are playing right now to maintain trade value (Hayes at center, TDA) b/c if you want to dump guys making money, you can't bury them on the bench - and Torts said it may take a couple years to move out some players with contracts.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

I looked into it, I think he has 3 more seasons until he becomes a UFA. If that's true, you don't really want to do a 3 year contract, because that gives away a position of strength for the next contract, or if you decide to trade him, that gives the contract more value...You'll likely only see a 1,2 or 4+ year deal this offseason. Plus, Frost isn't arbitration eligible this year, so he's basically at the mercy of the team...The only thing he could do is hold out, which would be dumb from his point of view.

It's no secret I think Frost is a very good player, and there's more to extract from him. I think you run the risk of having to pay a premium if you bridge him. Given appropriate usage, he's been a relatively consistent 50-point player for the last 50ish games. Give him Cate's usage from earlier (between TK and Farabee for 40+ games), and you'll see increase in point production.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Why would Torts want to move on? He's using Frost as his de facto 1C.
Sure, he pushes him, that's how he handles young players, wants them to push their limits.
Plays Tippett a lot of minutes, Cates in all roles, demands Frost produce more on offense. York on the 1st pair.

When you're in the Torts doghouse, you'll know when your PT plummets (see Bellows).

Now some guys are playing right now to maintain trade value (Hayes at center, TDA) b/c if you want to dump guys making money, you can't bury them on the bench - and Torts said it may take a couple years to move out some players with contracts.
Frost isn't a torts guy. Simple as that. Calls him out every chance for anything and everything. Diff to being in the dog house and just not one of the type of player he likes. Using him as the #1 means what exactly? Not like the the choices are so great.

Add to the fact Meltzer said he isn't a Torts guy adds even more to it. He also said Briere likes Frost a lot. so we shall see.

I looked into it, I think he has 3 more seasons until he becomes a UFA. If that's true, you don't really want to do a 3 year contract, because that gives away a position of strength for the next contract, or if you decide to trade him, that gives the contract more value...You'll likely only see a 1,2 or 4+ year deal this offseason. Plus, Frost isn't arbitration eligible this year, so he's basically at the mercy of the team...The only thing he could do is hold out, which would be dumb from his point of view.

It's no secret I think Frost is a very good player, and there's more to extract from him. I think you run the risk of having to pay a premium if you bridge him. Given appropriate usage, he's been a relatively consistent 50-point player for the last 50ish games. Give him Cate's usage from earlier (between TK and Farabee for 40+ games), and you'll see increase in point production.
if you have to pay a premium down the line so be it imo. If he warrants that then good. 2 year deal then go from there works.

You want to give him a Farabee type deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad